• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A small tribe...my first injuns.

Waveoff

Elite Member
Last weekend I went away for the weekend to spend three days detecting a 140 acre permission with civil war history and military school history starting in the late 1800's. I ended up not finding a single civil war relic or silver coin. I found a couple of old wheats but everything else was just modern stuff. Then to top it all off, I got really sick for three days as soon as I got home. 103.5 fever, chills, body aches...fun times. I got tested for West Nile virus and some other stuff since I was in the woods and got an insane amount of mosquito bites despite the fact I used deep woods OFF. I'm still waiting for the lab results. Needless to say, I haven't been out detecting for a few days.

I finally went on a decent hunt this afternoon after being down for a few days. I drove to an older town about 35 minutes away from where I live intending to hit an old park I researched online. I was having trouble finding it but noticed a lot of curb strips while I was driving in circles. I decided to stop and hit a corner. As I was setting up, I noticed a middle aged couple on the porch of their older looking house. They looked friendly so I made small talk with them and asked them about the park I was looking for. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about but they did tell me their house was the oldest one on the block and that I was welcome to detect their yard. Well don't mind if I do! I started off only finding some rotten zincolns around their house along with some can slaw. Then they mentioned that the empty space between their house and the wife's uncle's house next door used to have an even older house standing there. They mentioned this as daylight was fading fast. I decided to crank the disc to around the 3 o'clock position on my vaquero in an attempt to cherry pick. My first hit was a deep, faint sounding but repeatable signal the didn't disc out at all. I cut my plug and found my first Indian head penny (1906) about 9" down. A few more feet away I got a similar sound and dug a second injun (1903) that was only a couple of inches down. A few more feet away I got a pretty strong hit that sounded really nice. It ended up being a third injun (1898) that was about 6" down. I also found a 1916 wheat amongst the tribe. I ended up running out of daylight but they said to come on back anytime I want.

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for looking!

8ygkLWK.jpg

Glad you are feeling better. Congratulations on the IHP . And hopefully you will be able to get back out to the 140 acres and just keep swing.

Congrats on your first Injuns! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the successful hunt, I know people in the midwest are much friendlier than the big cities out here. Try to detect a strangers yard and they would think your nuts to wreck their nice lawn!(Keeping up with the Jones's)

Nice finds!

A few years ago, while visiting a forum member in Boston, I found my first injuns also. Three of them to be exact:D

Love them injuns:yes:

Nice going, hope you'll get back there and find a few older ones,
perhaps the chiefs of the tribe :D from the 1880s or older

Congrats on the new permission. Them injuns sure are sweet. Hope you get back there soon. HH Mark

Thanks Mark! I was back out there today actually. I didn't find anymore injuns but I may have found a key date 1914 wheat. It's pretty crusty and I think there's a mint mark but I need to figure out the best way of cleaning it up some. I did get another permission from the nice couple across the street though. I managed to pull a 1954 Rosie there before I ran out of daylight.

Great Finds and Writeup! We like detailed descriptions and pics of a Day out hunting!

Thanks Mud. I always enjoy your posts and the pics of the treasure you recover from the depths!

Glad you are feeling better. Congratulations on the IHP . And hopefully you will be able to get back out to the 140 acres and just keep swing.

Thanks! I'll get back to the big place one of these days. It's about a 4 hour drive for me so it might be a while before I get back down there.

Congrats on your first Injuns! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Congrats on the successful hunt, I know people in the midwest are much friendlier than the big cities out here. Try to detect a strangers yard and they would think your nuts to wreck their nice lawn!(Keeping up with the Jones's)

Thank you! That stinks that people are so difficult out there!

Nice finds!

A few years ago, while visiting a forum member in Boston, I found my first injuns also. Three of them to be exact:D

Love them injuns:yes:

Thanks! How ironic you also found three all at the same time as well! When it rains it pours.

Man that sure is a nice trio there, congrats!

Thank you!

Nice going, hope you'll get back there and find a few older ones,
perhaps the chiefs of the tribe :D from the 1880s or older

I tried today but no luck! I did manage to pull a possible key date wheat at the original permission and some silver at another permission across the street though.

How cool is THAT?

I STILL haven't found an injun in close to 7 yrs in the hobby LOL

CONGRATS!!!!

A big congrats on your first Indian's !
It's always a thrill to see if the IHC you just dug has a 1800's or a 1900's date on it !

Back
Top Bottom