Appraisal Advice on a Amazing Find

romyrome

Elite Member
I have a ring that is a home run and have people telling me its a 20 thousand dollar ring :D :shock: :yes: so does anyone know A local place to take this and have it appraised ? I looked online and found this guy http://jewelryappraiser.net/ but i have never gotten anything appraised before so any and all advice would be killer Thanks :cool:

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 391
  • ring 2.jpg
    ring 2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 393
Just head to a mall or wherever you find jewelry stores. Kay Jewelers, for example. Just head in and ask 'em how much for an appraisal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Subscribing to this thread. Can you update this when you find out more info on what it appraises at and how you go about it? That appears to be an amazing find! I plan to find one too someday! :laughing:

Thats such a great vid of your find! "Scrap Of Foil Probably" !:laughing::laughing:OH Man! That Tiff is no slouch either!

Yeah...take it into any Jeweler and ask..dont say nothing about 'I found it'...say its an inheritance from your Grandma if they ask, and just be quiet, dont say a whole lot or talk too much...It aint none of their business...you just want to get an idea what THEY think...Most will certainly think its Hot at first...So act as stupid and innocent as possible to enhance the whole 'Grandma story' line...

You got vid proof its not, so dont worry about that too much...you just want to pay attention to their initial reaction to get an idea of what you got there...If they drop their loupe and fall over backwards, be ready with some CPR training!:laughing:

DO NOT let it leave your sight if they say they 'have to take it into the backroom'!! Bullcrap!

Then go on to a half dozen more and do the same thing...its remarkable the kind of feedback you get and how far some of these places will go to try to rip you off...It certainly is a learning experience, and this find should teach you a LOT!...Have some fun with it and report back your experiences! It will be a good lesson you can share for the rest of us...For our own massive find Someday!:laughing: I bet you get a $50 offer! Maybe $100, If you throw in the worthless Tiff!:laughing:

Get a free ballpark 'over the counter' idea, and then get it properly certified and appraised once you settle down a bit and find an honest source....some of the very best diamonds are stolen by local jewelers offering 'free ring cleanings' to the ignorant....They pop them out and pop in a CZ in about a minute....When it comes to Gold and Diamonds..you gotta be on your top game...

You gotta know more than they do and act like you dont to see who you can trust...Who is being straight up and honest with you?

Last edited:
Most jewelers will clean rings for free. I would take it in and ask for a cleaning and then ask about an appraisal..

Looks a bit confusing. 60J should indicate size and color. But it looks bigger than .60 and the color looms to be G (side diamonds total?). Measure that big diamond... anything over 0.80ct take it for a professional appraisal. Your resale value increases dramatically. Just my opinion.
Good luck and hope for the best for you

Appraisal

I dug a ring with 4 nice sized stones about 10 years ago. I had a jewelry store that I dealt with for many years and they gave me an official appraisal of $1800.00. It cost me 100 bux to get it. Steve in so la

Look for a gemologist that does estate jewelry appraisals in your city. They will charge like $80 or so, at least the one I went to did.

A good privately owned jewelry store is my recommendation You want a Professional jeweler to do the appraisal. Not just a store employee.

I just took the two diamond rings that I found in July to a local jeweler today. She took close up photos to study and she studied each ring very carefully making notes of what she saw;

She then handed me back my rings and told me that the written estimate would be ready Monday.

She charged me $50.00 for the first ring and $30.00 for the second one So I dropped Eighty bucks of clad finds to get those two appraised and the results in writing.

Now I wait a few hours to see how much value I may have.

Kay has been accused of switching stones in rings that were taken in for work, cleaning etc.

Just head to a mall or wherever you find jewelry stores. Kay Jewelers, for example. Just head in and ask 'em how much for an appraisal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kay has been accused of switching stones in rings that were taken in for work, cleaning etc.

Not only them, but damn near everybody else! "Free Ring Cleaning" means they dip your gold in Aqua Regia and skim off a bit, and if they think they can get away with it, they pop and replace an Old World brilliant diamond with a CZ!

Remember what happened to me last October on that 25gr+ gold bracelet I found Geo? The Wife took it into a local 'reputable' jeweler for a "cleaning" and minor solder safety chain repair weighing 25.7 gr, and I got it back in November weighing 23gr! I wrote all about it here on the Forum...I was hopping mad and called the guy out...he said my scales were 'off'..yet rings I had found previously still weighed the same as the day I found them...He dunked it in Aqua Regia and skimmed off some gold!

These Jewelers do this over and over, taking a little nick from enough people, and pretty soon, you got some real money there! Thats why the heirs of Old Grandmas diamond from the 30's discover its nothing but glass nowadays! She took it in for a "Free Cleaning"!!!:mad:

That one massive 24k chain I got..another damned 'reputable' guy said it was 22k..and its weight was an Oz less!....Offered me half of scrap value!...like he was going out of his way to do me a favor! Yeah..when it comes to gold or diamonds...be very very careful...do NOT let it leave your sight and know what you got going in....

Attachments

• oct 6-16-3.jpg
    oct 6-16-3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 249
  • oct 6-16-7.jpg
    oct 6-16-7.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 247
Look for a gemologist that does estate jewelry appraisals in your city. They will charge like $80 or so, at least the one I went to did.

Crumble is right: If you *really* think you got a good stone, then the professional gemologist route is correct. And yes, that costs money. And for good reason: They trained for their jobs, their mark-of-approval is authoritative, etc...

But let me save you some time: It's Avon costume jewelry. Paypal me the $80 for that appraisal, and then send me the ring (you pay postage) for proper disposition. It's the least I can do for a good friend ! :cool:

Good advice

This is very good advice.

Thats such a great vid of your find! "Scrap Of Foil Probably" !:laughing::laughing:OH Man! That Tiff is no slouch either!

Yeah...take it into any Jeweler and ask..dont say nothing about 'I found it'...say its an inheritance from your Grandma if they ask, and just be quiet, dont say a whole lot or talk too much...It aint none of their business...you just want to get an idea what THEY think...Most will certainly think its Hot at first...So act as stupid and innocent as possible to enhance the whole 'Grandma story' line...

You got vid proof its not, so dont worry about that too much...you just want to pay attention to their initial reaction to get an idea of what you got there...If they drop their loupe and fall over backwards, be ready with some CPR training!:laughing:

DO NOT let it leave your sight if they say they 'have to take it into the backroom'!! Bullcrap!

Then go on to a half dozen more and do the same thing...its remarkable the kind of feedback you get and how far some of these places will go to try to rip you off...It certainly is a learning experience, and this find should teach you a LOT!...Have some fun with it and report back your experiences! It will be a good lesson you can share for the rest of us...For our own massive find Someday!:laughing: I bet you get a $50 offer! Maybe $100, If you throw in the worthless Tiff!:laughing:

Get a free ballpark 'over the counter' idea, and then get it properly certified and appraised once you settle down a bit and find an honest source....some of the very best diamonds are stolen by local jewelers offering 'free ring cleanings' to the ignorant....They pop them out and pop in a CZ in about a minute....When it comes to Gold and Diamonds..you gotta be on your top game...

You gotta know more than they do and act like you dont to see who you can trust...Who is being straight up and honest with you?

Crumble is right: If you *really* think you got a good stone, then the professional gemologist route is correct. And yes, that costs money. And for good reason: They trained for their jobs, their mark-of-approval is authoritative, etc...

But let me save you some time: It's Avon costume jewelry. Paypal me the $80 for that appraisal, and then send me the ring (you pay postage) for proper disposition. It's the least I can do for a good friend ! :cool:

"You pay postage"....:lol: You're a nicer guy than I even thought!

Tom, I'm glad you are on the opposite coast. With friends like you I wouldn't need enemies.:laughing:
Marvin:D

Romy, keep us appraised on what you do and what you find about the ring. Congrats on the ring. It is a beauty.

Back
Top Bottom