• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How deep before you give up?

I asked myself that question before .It has happened to me dig and dig and nothing. good post

All of us have sometimes chased that ghost signal. The trouble is that anything that deep is going to likely be something huge. I've found those thunks of conduit and water pipes 10 inches down or more. If I get into pin pointer range and the object seems to be bigger than a baseball, I call it!

My favorite was the original and defunct sprinkler system at a 100 year old city park.
Wonderful looking brass heads too! :yes:

If its obvious that nothing is happening i.e detector picks it up but I'm down over a foot and the pinpointer isn't even chirping slightly I know its interference. Other than that I dig until it comes out

Nice post....I dug almost 12" this evening. It was a big target and I was determined to find it. I've just recently started hunting and I'm trying to learn my machine. I adjusted my settings a bit...iron disc 20 and sensitivity almost full. I hunted about an hour and dug everything. Ironically the big target was a tooth from a backhoe....LOL

Attachments

• 27 Aug. 2017.JPG
    27 Aug. 2017.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 83
How deep?

Good post! I'm 66 now, and I definitely give up sooner than when I was 30 or 35! Also, I spent 26 years working in the meat business so I have little resistance to heat and humidity!

I "have" dug down to a foot, but in this rocky soil we dig in around here, depending on how tired I am, the weather (how hot humid it is) the location or how good the tone sounds decides how deep I'll dig a particular target.

IN this rocky soil, in many instances if it's 10-12 inches deep, I may be inclined to walk on...not always, but in some instances, if I dont have the target after 8 inches, I'm not digging to china... besides that I have NEVER dug a deep coin past 9 inches around here in my county. Are they down there? I bet they are, but I am not gonna kill myself diggin for a "chance" it's not just another piece of a deep rusty bucket like all the others were.

With the soil being so rocky, my train of thought is that coins probably don't sink past the rock layer anyway.

In general, if the target indicates silver I'll go to town diggin that is if the hunidity isn't at 324% like it usually is...lol

How deep

All of us have sometimes chased that ghost signal. The trouble is that anything that deep is going to likely be something huge. I've found those thunks of conduit and water pipes 10 inches down or more. If I get into pin pointer range and the object seems to be bigger than a baseball, I call it!

My favorite was the original and defunct sprinkler system at a 100 year old city park.
Wonderful looking brass heads too! :yes:
I found a boat trailer 2 -3 feet down in that back yard of my former Michigan home! ;-)

I think of this image every time I'm about to quit on a deep target.
19756ad1c4e0aa9493b5677354df0ee3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a very good detector. Nor a pinpointer. So I chase signals a lot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If you still have hopes of finding a big chest full of treasure then you probably dig pretty far , though you have a better chance of winning the lottery. Unless you dig relics , you are probably like most of us and concentrate on coin sized items. You are going to find them only so deep. Test your detector and see how deep you can detect a coin , ..... plus or minus one way or another and you get the depth range you should probably throw in the towel. If its much deeper than that its something big and more likely a hubcap than a treasure chest. I usually don't chase targets much past 10 to 12 inches but I seldom have to anyway. If you are in up to your elbow the chances of finding something good are pretty slim.

Back
Top Bottom