Child has asked for Help!

rog

I have a new Nokta Simplex detector but no experience using it. I previously had a White's Silver Eagle but it stopped working years ago so you can say that I'm essentially new to detecting. I do recall that my White's detector took a lot of practice and patience to get reasonable results but I'm hoping that this new detector will be a lot easier to learn.

I do have a bit of a dilemma as my 8 year old neighbor just lost a ring of religious significance given to him in a ceremony by his religious leader and he is quite upset about it. He came to me and asked for assistance in searching for it.

As this detector is new to me and I would like to use it for this request but have not yet had time to learn its operation I was wondering if some suggestions could be offered in setup and operation that would give me some chance of success in finding the ring. I have of course explored the operations manual however I know that manuals are not a substitute for the knowledge of experienced operators so I'm requesting information.

We are in Utah and it is still winter here so the grass and foliage is still in a dormant state therefore I would like to search immediately before that changes. The ring is reported to be small (fits an 8 year old's finger) and is supposedly made of alloy silver. It was lost in either the child's yard or a nearby neighborhood park while playing and therefore should be on/near the surface.

I'll be using the Simplex detector with wireless headphones and a Pulse Dive pointer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I suspect it would sound off a high tone for silver rings and a high number too. Can you test it with a silver ring?

See if you can get a similar ring (preferably identical, especially size, shape, and composition) and see what it comes up as. It will probably be high 90s, which will usually only come from rings or very large pieces of ferrous metal. Park 2 (the third option, assuming you have firmware version 2.77 or later) would probably be best, but any of the first three would probably do. Depending on how the test ring comes in, you may want to notch out everything below 85 or 90 to keep the noise down... but that might make you miss it if it's at a different orientation or on top of a stronger signal of a different kind. Good luck.

If he can’t narrow it down to any better than an entire yard AND a park....you’ve got a real tall order in front of you...no matter WHAT detector or operator is looking for it. Don’t know anything about the Simplex....
Just give the kid the machine and let THEM find it. Then they can come back and tell you how to run it.:lol:

Thanks for the info. No luck on a similar ring so I'll try a gold one. The actual search area has been identified and I'll see what happens. Thanks

Do you know if it is solid, or braided or decorated with holes for the glare effect? If it's solid, you logically have a VDI range. If you could find a jewelry catalog showing a similar ring composition, you'll be way ahead of the game to find it. As for the bigger range of where it was lost? I'd work the yard and basically give up on a loss in a park, unless there was a specific tot lot where she spent time.

My guess. I am not familiar with the modes on a simplex. I would find a coin and or Jewelry mode and any signal you get, pin point it and then search the top of the ground with a pin pointer....... That is if it was lost recently. If not then it might be more difficult. Good luck

Don't know about the Simplex, but on my F75+ and Teknetics Liberator, silver rings come in at the dime range. I assume it would be similar on most detectors. If I was looking for a silver ring on the surface, I would run sens at about 50% and no disc in case there was something else nearby. At either location, it could have been walked into the ground a bit as well. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Listen for high squeek or a high zip tone. Like has been said dime range if its silver.
Bimetal will give 2 tones and will sound like the two are on top of each other. The best I can describe it ai a blip blip.mid tone with a squeak in between.
Gold is tough. It will be a midtone any thing from the iron tone break to maybe a zinc penny. But it will show a solid VDI.
Pull tabs, foil and nickles act the same way.
Size of ring matters too big shallow rings are loud. Deeper is quieter.
Gold deep is going to be hard.
Silver. The simplex will definitely let you know its there.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom