• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Pro pointer erratic behavior...*UPDATE from Garrett.*

I bought mine at a pawn shop a few months ago. At the time, it was great but recently it acts erratic and triggers for no reason even with a fresh battery. Today I was out and my MD read the targets 2-3 inches down but the PP never triggered. I had to sort the dirt to find them and had to touch them to it for it to trigger. It does this randomly and has made hunting a frustrating experience. I don't know if it was abused by its previous owner or not. Also if I just touch the side of the hole it goes off and I have to restart it.

Are you sure it's a REAL Garrett? Lots of fakes out there that will act exactly like that, even fresh out of the box.

Have you done a reset on it? Press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds or so...that should reset it (If I recall...I'd have to look at the manual)

Garrett propointer

Yes it's a real garrett, serial number and all. I did the reset and it went fine for a bit. I think the last owner may have dropped it a time or two. I bought it at a pawn shop so it wasn't new when I got it. If you apply any pressure to the side while it's in a hole, it acts erratic. Some times you have to put the coin next to it for it to trigger. Other times it will find a target 3.5 inches down.

Yes it's a real garrett, serial number and all. I did the reset and it went fine for a bit. I think the last owner may have dropped it a time or two. I bought it at a pawn shop so it wasn't new when I got it. If you apply any pressure to the side while it's in a hole, it acts erratic. Some times you have to put the coin next to it for it to trigger. Other times it will find a target 3.5 inches down.

It's worth checking with Garrett to see if it's under warranty. Don't mention the pawn shop part, or that you bought it used. Just give them the serial number and they should be able to check

It stopped picking up targets at all. I called Garrett and was told I could send it in and get credit on a newer one.
I have an F Pulse now.

When you dig deep targets and have multiple items in the hole a pin pointer can really speed things up. My detector is too heavy to do what I used to before a pin pointer.

When I find a target, I run handfulls of dirt past my coil and then use my pinpointer when I get a reading. I am surprised that more people don't do this instead of continuing to dig.

When I find a target, I run handfulls of dirt past my coil and then use my pinpointer when I get a reading. I am surprised that more people don't do this instead of continuing to dig.

I simply don't like the extra risk of injury by grabbing hand fulls of unknown dirt, plus it gets lots messier. It is just more simple to me to pinpoint the dug hole after the dig using the handheld, then do a quick check with the coil on the hole and the dug-dirt if it is not there.

Also, I always lay my detector search coil an extended distance away from the hole, so it won't mess with the handheld pinpointer. Waving dirt that far away is not my cup of tea.

I simply don't like the extra risk of injury by grabbing hand fulls of unknown dirt, plus it gets lots messier. It is just more simple to me to pinpoint the dug hole after the dig using the handheld, then do a quick check with the coil on the hole and the dug-dirt if it is not there.

Also, I always lay my detector search coil an extended distance away from the hole, so it won't mess with the handheld pinpointer. Waving dirt that far away is not my cup of tea.

That's why I wear gloves. i don't run handfuls of loose dirt past my coil, it's the plug. If it's in the plug, I break it in half and check it again.

Hi ! :tiphat:

The park I now hunt has coughed up very little jewelry over the past 4 years and that was just 2-3 pieces of cheap costume using my Tesoro Compadre and Teknetic Gamma 6000, but this park has been very kind to me with coins.
I also contend with lots of stay-tabs and other trash, like everyone else !

Over the total 13 + years that I've been enjoying this hobby, Jewelry and Coins have always been my passion and "cherry picking' is my game. I normally don't dig holes any deeper than my 7" Lesche blade, unless the signal raises curiosity and even then I give up at 10" if I haven't reach the target and move on to "greener pastures". ;)

At age 78 this coming May 31 and suffering many years with Diabetes and more recently with Parkinson's, the sun :sun: and heat literally drains my energy and I have to really push myself to hunt for my time limit of 2 hours in this kind of weather, until I finally realize I'm exhausted and not having fun anymore and it's time to give up and go home.

As a reminder, I mentioned in previous posts before that I was diagnosed with yet another disease :mad:, i.e. Parkinson's back in Feb., 2016 and started prescription medicine to stabilize and maintain the imbalance I was experiencing and my doctor recommended I should no longer drive for my own safety and that of others out on the highway. So wifey does all the driving, which I hate, but we are both forced to live with that.

So my ideal hunting weather is summertime 60-70°F with low humidity, overcast skies and a nice breeze. Then I can easily hunt for 2 hours, or I may even go for 2½ if finds have been really good and I decide to cheat a bit on my agreed-upon 2-hour time limit with the wife, while she waits and reads her favorite novels in the car with our little dog Butterfly
(Photo attached.).

Happy Hunting Everybody !

ToddB64

Attachments

• Pom Butterfly on Couch, Reduced Full Size Screen 413 x 343 px (2).jpg
    Pom Butterfly on Couch, Reduced Full Size Screen 413 x 343 px (2).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Hi ! :tiphat:

The park I now hunt has coughed up very little jewelry over the past 4 years and that was just 2-3 pieces of cheap costume using my Tesoro Compadre and Teknetic Gamma 6000, but this park has been very kind to me with coins.
I also contend with lots of stay-tabs and other trash, like everyone else !

Over the total 13 + years that I've been enjoying this hobby, Jewelry and Coins have always been my passion and "cherry picking' is my game. I normally don't dig holes any deeper than my 7" Lesche blade, unless the signal raises curiosity and even then I give up at 10" if I haven't reach the target and move on to "greener pastures". ;)

At age 78 this coming May 31 and suffering many years with Diabetes and more recently with Parkinson's, the sun :sun: and heat literally drains my energy and I have to really push myself to hunt for my time limit of 2 hours in this kind of weather, until I finally realize I'm exhausted and not having fun anymore and it's time to give up and go home.

As a reminder, I mentioned in previous posts before that I was diagnosed with yet another disease :mad:, i.e. Parkinson's back in Feb., 2016 and started prescription medicine to stabilize and maintain the imbalance I was experiencing and my doctor recommended I should no longer drive for my own safety and that of others out on the highway. So wifey does all the driving, which I hate, but we are both forced to live with that.

So my ideal hunting weather is summertime 60-70°F with low humidity, overcast skies and a nice breeze. Then I can easily hunt for 2 hours, or I may even go for 2½ if finds have been really good and I decide to cheat a bit on my agreed-upon 2-hour time limit with the wife, while she waits and reads her favorite novels in the car with our little dog Butterfly (Photoattached.).

Happy Hunting Everybody !

ToddB64

Do you crack the window for your wife? :)

The issue with the Garret PPs are 2 wires coated in shellac coming from the coil to the board. When the assembly goes together, these wires, which are supposed to be non conductive, lay back on the board and contact it, causing falsing under almost all conditions(if you happen to have one with this problem.) This is why pressure and bumping causes it to freak out, and once it starts vibrating, it just continues to do so. It must be taken apart and those 2 wires shrink tubed. If your PP is off warranty and it’s unusable, there’s nothing to lose by learning something and cracking it open. The Carrot is more difficult because of the way the button is waterproofed, the black ones are very easy to take apart. If you’re doing surgery on a Carrot, watch YouTube first!

Couldn't you just coat these wires with some sort of insulation to keep them from making contact? A rubber sealant or something like that?

and the profind 35 does it too ?

I have some erratic behavior in my profind 35. it too does all kinds of crazy buzzing and beeping for little to no apparent reason.

I've found that if I treat it with slow deliberate motion, it's ok. tip it upside down and it cries out like you dipped it in mercury. often I must turn it off to get it back to reasonable temperament.

I too wonder if I should be concerned.

Back
Top Bottom