The mystery box!

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
Well this was probably one of the most anticipation building digs we've had in a while. A friend's cattle property had some US Mil usage before being sold off to the public a couple years ago. We found some scraps of machines and building pieces around...then it was discovered....the mystery box or well ammo can...haha

So it took a bit to recover with the hard soil and not wanting to damage it. After about 30 minutes of digging around and lifting hard it broke loose and came up. We found that it was an ammo can and had something inside. Once home we cracked it open.....

And inside.... Cadillac Products LLC MREs! Looking online it looks like 1979-1982. We did crack a few open and try the crackers, brownie, and cookies; they all held up fine. No one was hungry enough for the meats. :lol:

Great find! It's a very different feeling to get something that was purposely hidden rather than something lost, great find even if it wasn't what we all dream of!

Can't wait to hear the stories of them MRE's from the Veterans here. �� I'm sure there's some good ones. Neat find!

I had the "pleasure" of having MRE's during Desert Storm as well as many other exercises in my fours years in the Air Force. Most weren't bad but the worst two I remember were omelet with ham and corned beef hash.

Sweet find though, may be other buried goodies around that area.

I'd try those. Best MRE when I was in the marines, around 2001, was the vegetarian pasta. I'm no vegetarian but it was a quality item. Even came with a pack of skittles. Though if you were caught with the skittle in boot camp the DI would have burned you good.
Can't eat Tabasco sauce anymore because of the mexican rice MRE. "Hot dog" MRE's were the worst, especially for breakfast. Can't eat a saltine with jam without being brought back to MCT, not that I like saltines with jam. And you'll never forget the smell of the worthless "heating bag" they sent with it. Smells like chemical and heats your food up to a steamy room temp. :lol:

Pretty unique find! The anticipation of what might be inside must have been high! I love the line—”No one was hungry enough for the meats”!😂🤣😂

Old food is so cool! Thats a really great find, some of those sealed containers are expensive. This is one of the coolest posts I've ever seen! :shock:

Last edited:
KT speculates that you found some survivalist food stash. Now that poor soul will starve to death while trying to get from his home to his bug out camp! Do him a favor....fill it back up with fresh twinkies, put in a moisture dry pack and an oxygen removal pack, and bury it back where you found it! Who knows, in a few more years you may save that poor guys life! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

KT speculates that you found some survivalist food stash. Now that poor soul will starve to death while trying to get from his home to his bug out camp! Do him a favor....fill it back up with fresh twinkies, put in a moisture dry pack and an oxygen removal pack, and bury it back where you found it! Who knows, in a few more years you may save that poor guys life! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yup , the kindly King hit the nail on the head ! If the poor old guys still around he's now going to have to scrounge for grubs , berries and such .:no: It makes me wonder if he also stashed a firearm or two and some ammo in the vicinity .Congrats on your find ! A different type of find indeed
with a nice presentation and photos . :yes:

if it looked more recent we probably would have left it. the property has turned over a lot due to people passing on an such for the last so many years so it's hard to think who even had it. hopefully he knows he fed the team :D

Back
Top Bottom