• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Into the 1800s!

JimR_TN

Elite Member
One of my goals for my first season metal detecting was to find a coin from the 1800s. I reached that goal today!

I went back to the 1890s church I have pounded this year. It hasn't produced anything outstanding.... 3 silvers with the oldest being a war nickel as well as 2 buffalo nickels. Recently I've been going elsewhere digging clad, but with a sunny day I stepped out for a lunchtime hunt at the old church. It has rained a lot so I thought that might help find deeper targets. I found very little until I found a coin, my third buff out of this site.

A few minutes later I had another signal and found what I though was yet another buff. I couldn't make out any detail so I put it in my pouch and searched a few minutes more before heading home. I was pretty happy finding 2 buffs... but I was wrong. What a surprise to clean the coin and find that the unknown coin was a 1897 V nickel! Yahoo!!!

I'm still very eager for an IHP and Mercury dime but this one made me VERY HAPPY!

Attachments

• 1897_V_nickel_front1.jpg
    1897_V_nickel_front1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 591
  • 1897_V_nickel_back1.jpg
    1897_V_nickel_back1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 528
Excellent find, breaking into the 1800's is no easy task, and that 1897 nickel looks good, congrats!!!

Last edited:
Congrats. Thats no small accomplishment, especially for a nickel. Keep at it.

That was my second goal after finding silver. I remember how excited I was. Awesome feeling. Congrats! Now on to the 1700s!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Excellent find, breaking into the 1800's is no easy task, and that 1897 nickel looks good, congrats!!!
Thanks!

Very nice! Congratulations!
Thanks!

Nice one.
Congrats.
Thanks!

Nice , congrats !
Thanks!

Congrats. Thats no small accomplishment, especially for a nickel. Keep at it.

Thanks! I've found a bunch of good nickels at this location, but also a ton of square tabs and other trash.

That was my second goal after finding silver. I remember how excited I was. Awesome feeling. Congrats! Now on to the 1700s!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Those are indeed a couple of nice finds! Way to go! :waytogo:

Thanks! I was happy to have a good find as there may not be too many opportunities before the end of the year. And this was the first time I've found 2 decent coins on the same hunt.

Here is the dateless buff.

Attachments

• dateless_buff.jpg
    dateless_buff.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 472
Attaboy Jim, congrats on the Buff and your first V nickel and the fact she's your oldest makes it a particularly sweet find. She has some decent detail left on her. I love digging old nickels. Again congrats and now on to some old shiny or Ihps. Good luck Mark

...What a surprise to clean the coin and find that the unknown coin was a 1897 V nickel! Yahoo!!!

I'm still very eager for an IHP and Mercury dime but this one made me VERY HAPPY!

Congrats! In my opinion a very underrated coin. Love V nickels!

Huge congrats, Jim!! Welcome to the 19th Century club - definitely not so easy to do, especially in certain areas of the country!

Great recovery on that V nickel! Even more fun when it’s a “surprise” find like that! I agree with ynnek, V’s are truly an underappreciated coin. For me, it’s one of those coins that screams out age when you see it, just like Indian Head cents - it’s probably a combination of both the design and the patina, but if you show a IHP or a V nickel to someone, they almost always realize that it’s an old coin even before they see the date :cool:

Anyways, you’re really doing things right - if you’re recovering those old nickels and breaking into the 1800s in your first season, then Indians, Mercs, Barbers, and Seateds won’t be far behind :cool3:

One of my goals for my first season metal detecting was to find a coin from the 1800s. I reached that goal today!

Very nice! Congrats! I would guess most people get into the 1800s by way of an Indian Head Cent.

Congrats! In my opinion a very underrated coin. Love V nickels!

Agreed. Not an easy coin to find, much less one from the 1800s.

Congrats Jim on breaking the 1900 barrier. Also on digging your first "V" Nickel. That coin was my white whale and it took me 9 years to dig my first. Very happy that you accomplished that feat a whole lot faster. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom