What a week for KT ! !

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
What we all fear happened......KT's old laptop cratered. :shock::no::no:

Well, off to the local Best Buy to buy another....luckily found one on sale....now running on Windows 10 with Google platform. Fortunately for His Majesty, Prince John is a computer guru....so after several hours of His magic, KT was back up and running, but with remaining problems. Most everything was transferred from the old machine thanks to PJ knowing about safe mode, but then everything had to be linked to work in goggle formatting.:?::?::?:

Then came another shock! Since KT was a lazy King, He had years ago just let this machine's memory put in His Royal Password for the Forum. Well that could not be recovered. Again fortunately, PJ was able to get me onto the Forum from the old machine in safe mode, and KT made a plea for assistance to get a temp password ....and the Adm's smiled on KT. Got an email asking His Majesty what He would like to use and thus the KIng's wishes were granted. :D:D

Now to figuring out how to work with pictures, etc. on this new machine. Oh, Brother! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

KT knows how to post pics in the Forum...what He has yet to figure out is how to crop them, and other edits before posting!

I understand, I'm not sure if it compares with what you are using, but check the last 3 graphic examples in the first post on that thread, they show resize and cropping.

Yikes! How unfortunate KT...Windows?...I’m so sorry :)

AMC, The olde machine was about 7 to 8 years old and started life as Windows Vista, 2 years ago it blue screened, and His Majesty was given a choice, buy a new machine or let Prince John attempt to resurrect it by installing Windows 7, which worked and KT managed to get that extra 2 years out of it....but it finally decided to go into a turn itself off mode after 5 minutes, thus ending its usefulness. All the files, some 34,000 of them, were saved tho by PJ using the machines safe mode. But alas, all the programming is lost, like photo editor, etc. KT is still wrasslin' with that problem, and a few useful accessories like KT's usb digital microscope are not software compatible, KT has already ordered a new Windows 10 compatible unit for less than $15 from fleebay.

Anyway life remains interesting and this olde Royal Dog is learning some new tricks! :laughing::laughing: you will know His Majesty has the pics situation resolved when He starts posting pics again! :D::D:

I understand, I'm not sure if it compares with what you are using, but check the last 3 graphic examples in the first post on that thread, they show resize and cropping.

GLK, LOL...I think the new machine has Paint on it...I will play around with that and see what I can come up with! Thanks for the Link! KT's Royal Brain is near overload at this time! :laughing::laughing:

AMC, The olde machine was about 7 to 8 years old and started life as Windows Vista, 2 years ago it blue screened, and His Majesty was given a choice, buy a new machine or let Prince John attempt to resurrect it by installing Windows 7, which worked and KT managed to get that extra 2 years out of it....but it finally decided to go into a turn itself off mode after 5 minutes, thus ending its usefulness. All the files, some 34,000 of them, were saved tho by PJ using the machines safe mode. But alas, all the programming is lost, like photo editor, etc. KT is still wrasslin' with that problem, and a few useful accessories like KT's usb digital microscope are not software compatible, KT has already ordered a new Windows 10 compatible unit for less than $15 from fleebay.

Anyway life remains interesting and this olde Royal Dog is learning some new tricks! :laughing::laughing: you will know His Majesty has the pics situation resolved when He starts posting pics again! :D::D:

Not sure if this solution will work in your instance, but this solution worked for someone else with usb microscope problems after getting another computer -

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2816187&postcount=38

Remembering all the passwords is impossible! Sometimes I have to request a password because I've forgot it and the email they send with the instructions on how to reset it is sent to an email account that I cant remember the password for!

For many years I did computer support. In the early years it was in a call center. Fixing computers over the phone is a unique challenge. A very large part of the time is spent waiting. Waiting for software to load or for the machine to reboot. I learned very quickly to make small talk during these wait times. One day a lady called in and as we were waiting on her computer to reboot she said, "I bet the last thing you want to do when you get home is turn on a computer." Without missing a beat I replied, "Actually, it's the first thing I do. But then, mine works." :D That put a speedy halt to small talk for the rest of that call.

Computer problems are a PITA. The thing that is supposed to make our lives easier can be a bigger problem than the problem it's supposed to solve. Good luck getting things back the way you want them. Also, turn this into a learning experience and do regular backups.

Cant help you with the computer...I'm the last halfway spry repairman in West Michigan that works on 'Air Logic' controls though...I can troubleshoot steam engines of course...

The 'Air Logic' format is pretty cool..easy to trouble shoot for me...It operates off of pressure....forget about using a fancy electrical meter! Air Logic operates off of Air pressure signals!

I blow a puff of cig smoke up into into the lines! A guy can backtrack..

Yikes! How unfortunate KT...Windows?...I’m so sorry :)

I agree. I find Windows 7 annoying, but Windows 10 is absolutely horrible. There is only one application that requires Windows that I run, but I will experiment and see if I can get it to run under Lindows or Wine, or whatever the Windows emulator on Linux is called.

I have one Windows 10 PC, and it is only for the purpose of running a Software Defined Radio application. However, I'm going to try another package and see if I can't get it to run on my MintBox Mini 2 Pro.

The reason the Microsoft execs live in gated neighborhoods is that otherwise, there would be nightly deposits of flaming paper bags of you-know-what left on their front steps.

-- Tom

I agree. I find Windows 7 annoying, but Windows 10 is absolutely horrible. There is only one application that requires Windows that I run, but I will experiment and see if I can get it to run under Lindows or Wine, or whatever the Windows emulator on Linux is called.

I have one Windows 10 PC, and it is only for the purpose of running a Software Defined Radio application. However, I'm going to try another package and see if I can't get it to run on my MintBox Mini 2 Pro.

The reason the Microsoft execs live in gated neighborhoods is that otherwise, there would be nightly deposits of flaming paper bags of you-know-what left on their front steps.

-- Tom

This new machine is Win 10 platform but KT is running Google operating system on it. Seem MS is now not selling a license anymore...instead, for an annual fee, you get to use their software...ie. A lease, which they found out gets them a yearly payment, rather than a one time payment...They own the license...so KT asked Prince John to come up with something else and the Goggle option is presently a free software option and you also get free space on the cloud, like 5 gigabytes. So it is a cheaper compromise, and all Windows files can be readily converted to compatible Google files...so a .doc file becomes a .gdoc file ect.

KT has found the included picture manipulation program is fine and KT quickly learned how to use it!

As far as backup, everything auto backups to the Royal Cloud account! A Royal pita was when KT found out the separate back up hard drive on the old machine encrypted every backed up file, so it contains 34,000 files of jibberish! But by opening the old machine on safe mode, Prince John was able to download all the current files from the old machine and load those current 16,000 files onto the new machine. Most of the other files on that old back up drive are fragments of changes gradually made over years of backups.

Back
Top Bottom