Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 11-08-2018, 04:53 AM

Default 9v battery detector

Has anyone made a battery out of 2 18650 batteries. I have a bunch of these and the 9v are getting costly. Plus they have way more capacity so they should last much longer.

Was thinking of doing a external mount wired to the internal plug. On a Teknetics Minuteman.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:21 AM
Supporter

I've seen many make the packs that work very well, but not specifically to replace the 9v, I'm sure it would work fine

Old 11-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Elite Member

Dollar store has 9 volts cheap!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Elite Member

I get my 9 volt batteries for free when they change the smoke alarms in my apartments. Even used they test almost full. Now if I could only find a way to get free AAs.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:19 PM

If you use the 18650 be aware that the voltage you get with 3 batteries is 11.1 Vdc. That may be too much voltage and require a regulator in the battery pack to lower it closer to 9 Vdc.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:00 PM

I was going to use 2 of them. As they are 8.4ish volts for two. A 9v battery is usually not 9v. Some are around 8.3v like the rechargeable 9v batteries. I can put this together for around $5. As I have a bunch of the 18650 batteries and the charger already. Plus the capacity of the 18650 is way higher than the 9v also so I would not have to change them out as often.

Going to order the battery case soon and change it over this winter. Then have it ready to go this spring. But I will test it out in the house leaveing it on to see how long it takes to drain the battery down.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:38 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Silversmith45 View post
I get my 9 volt batteries for free when they change the smoke alarms in my apartments. Even used they test almost full. Now if I could only find a way to get free AAs.
Right there would be one massive SCORE and would make a buying decision on a detector! I buy Detectors that only use AA's on account of the operating price and Everything in my house operates off of them......I dont have anything that uses 9V's so that and the price of the 9's makes me only entertain purchasing rigs that run AA's....Its something a guy has to think about....

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.