Depth of 6" & 11" coils on the Nox and Legend.

Diga

Elite Member
Hello.

A very long story short:

I've done three Legend depth comparisons, at different sites, using the 11" coil and the 6" coil (the Nox has the same coils). I buried a silver dime deep enough that the 6" coil could just barely hit it, then switched over to the 11" coil. I could not get the 11" coil to hit the dime any better than the 6" coil could.

I was very surprised by the results, so I asked both Nox and Legend owners if they found any coin depth difference between those coils. Out of about 20 replies, 19 said the depth difference was negligible, but 1 person said his 11" coil detects a silver dime 4" deeper than his 6" coil.

All of this seems to go against the proverbial, "I use the larger coil to get the deep coins". So what the heck is going on? I can think of two possibilities:

1) The 6" coil has a "tighter" electromagnetic field that allows better sensitivity to coin sized objects.

2) The 6" coil is much less susceptible to emi and general ground mineralization / interference.

The 6 is seeing less dirt mineral therefore the targets return is better and clearer than the 11 that has to deal with the dirt and weaker response (mineral) . All though the 11 is deeper in less mineral dirt than the 6 . sube

Back
Top Bottom