Deus 2 or Legend

bobh

Not been detecting for a while and all I’ve got so far is a spade and a pin pointer, now waiting for stocks of machines getting into the stores. I need to search beaches and old pastures, woods, ploughed fields so which one would you go for ? I just missed the re stock of Legends because I couldn’t make my mind up. I,ve watched loads of videos but I need help :?:

Oh I can’t bring myself to do it, I even tried the Nox with the swan neck carbon stem and it was really heavy compared to the Deus 1 at the time. Not sure how much the Legend weighs but it looks solid.

Oh I can’t bring myself to do it, I even tried the Nox with the swan neck carbon stem and it was really heavy compared to the Deus 1 at the time. Not sure how much the Legend weighs but it looks solid.

If weight is a big factor in your decision then the Legend may be too heavy. The Deus and Deus II are probably the best in terms of weight.

ive got a legend, its a very good unit, i like the build quality better than the nox

Now I’m not so sure what to do, one it is half the price but the xp has just got big numbers to look at :?:

of the two detectors you mentioned both are very new to market, personally I went with the Legend because I do not hunt relic dumps, had I been in an area where I had the choice to hunt relics I may have gone the other direction, the legend is rite at 3 pounds but very comfortable to swing even with the 11 inch coil on, the legend is similar to the Equinox in many ways from what I have seen I have never owned a Equinox and never will simply because of the build quality that should have been apparent to Mine Lab the build quality was over looked apparently, the Legend is very well built i have experienced no bad wobbles or shaft flex what so ever, I do not hunt in water so I really do not worry about drowning the legend if I ever do decide to jump in water with the legend which is highly unlikely I will not worry, the Equinox however I would have not ever taken it in the water simply because of all the negative i read about it drowning, The Deus 2 I have never seen one or held one but everything I have read about it has been pretty good, i have read some things that are not good either that is just the name of the game you hear good and bad about all detectors

Both the legend and the Deus 2 collapse down to fairly compact which i love it makes them pretty easy to transport when traveling, I have only had my legend for a couple of days now but i am very impressed with what I have seen so far in the legend, I truly believe it will be a great detector which it already seems to be, but I also believe it will continue to get better as Nokta/Macro puts out more updates for the Legend, which they have already released one update that for me seemed to make it better when in high EMI situations, as with any new detector small problems will arise as new tech is released, it is just a sad fact, the Deus 2 is no different I have seen at least one incident of a user of the Deus 2 having an issue I am sure XP will address it just like Nokta/Macro does

my suggestion to you is go watch several videos on both detectors you are considering and make a determination based on all videos not just one paid spokes person for a company

This is just my two cents worth

I would say if you plan on hunting in heavy iron, go with the Deus 2. If you are coin shooting parks go for the Legend. Just remember it's cheaper to upgrade now rather than later.

Honestly

DON'T go buy any hyped up new machines ,- till they are proven in the field , or water, wait 6 months for the bugs , problems , with the machine- are worked out, manufacturers make adjustments , correct them from reviews , know there flaws from guys using them- over the 6 month testing , if the machine pans out , deemed good after 6 months of testing , the price is wright , the detector fits your hunting needs & conditions , go for it , I usually find , buying a proven in the field machine , is your best option, in my opinion , happy hunting . Earl

DON'T go buy any hyped up new machines ,- till they are proven in the field , or water, wait 6 months for the bugs , problems , with the machine- are worked out, manufacturers make adjustments , correct them from reviews , know there flaws from guys using them- over the 6 month testing , if the machine pans out , deemed good after 6 months of testing , the price is wright , the detector fits your hunting needs & conditions , go for it , I usually find , buying a proven in the field machine , is your best option, in my opinion , happy hunting . Earl

This is great advice.
It seems like few take it.

I agree with the ‘give new stuff a little time’. Having said that, I got an AT Pro amongst the first shipments back in the day, and did the same with the Equinox, lol… I probably had ten machines between those two, partly because I have no patience for stuff that doesn’t do what I want it to, lol! Along the way I learned some things about what I like and don’t like in a detector. I’ve modded all my machines, some heavily and realized it was never really about more performance. Big items turned out to be ergonomics-not because I have any real physical issues (other than wondering why detectors are built for short guys, lol), but because for the money we pay, I would expect a little thought might be given to how a machine balances. Witness Minelab-my SDC will ruin your forearm and start working it’s way up to your shoulder by the end of a day. Why? Because Minelab was too cheap to build a new housing and went with a minesweeper case they already had. Garret-the ATX is a great machine but god awful ergos. The Equinox is a little better but still what I would call poor. So what did I discover?? I loved my Deus because it was a feather, ergos were way better and it was WIRELESS. That may not mean much to some people but when you hunt in the boonies, or backpack into remote areas, little things really stand out. Personally I see the Deus 2 as being the ONE machine that will do all the things I do, minus the goldfields because I already have ridiculously overpriced PI machines, lol. But wait for the kinks to get worked out. I think it really will be a ‘game changer’ -oops, said a dirty word- but give it time to see. Then again, if you’re itchin to buy a machine, be glad they all come with a warranty…

I agree with the ‘give new stuff a little time’. Having said that, I got an AT Pro amongst the first shipments back in the day, and did the same with the Equinox, lol… I probably had ten machines between those two, partly because I have no patience for stuff that doesn’t do what I want it to, lol! Along the way I learned some things about what I like and don’t like in a detector. I’ve modded all my machines, some heavily and realized it was never really about more performance. Big items turned out to be ergonomics-not because I have any real physical issues (other than wondering why detectors are built for short guys, lol), but because for the money we pay, I would expect a little thought might be given to how a machine balances. Witness Minelab-my SDC will ruin your forearm and start working it’s way up to your shoulder by the end of a day. Why? Because Minelab was too cheap to build a new housing and went with a minesweeper case they already had. Garret-the ATX is a great machine but god awful ergos. The Equinox is a little better but still what I would call poor. So what did I discover?? I loved my Deus because it was a feather, ergos were way better and it was WIRELESS. That may not mean much to some people but when you hunt in the boonies, or backpack into remote areas, little things really stand out. Personally I see the Deus 2 as being the ONE machine that will do all the things I do, minus the goldfields because I already have ridiculously overpriced PI machines, lol. But wait for the kinks to get worked out. I think it really will be a ‘game changer’ -oops, said a dirty word- but give it time to see. Then again, if you’re itchin to buy a machine, be glad they all come with a warranty…

Very good post...

I have not had the opportunity to use a complete Deus 2 yet so I won’t comment on it.

There have been lots of Equinox references in this topic so I will add a few comments on it.

I do own a Legend WHP and have had a chance to do some very muddy turf hunting for modern coins and jewelry at a school sports complex.

So far, I am very impressed with the Legend as a coin and jewelry hunter. It has very accurate target IDs down to 7” (deepest target dug in the mud so far) and has minimal up averaging of IDs even on low to mid conductive non-ferrous targets. It took me less than an hour to be able to predict I was about to dig a modern nickel, zincoln, copper penny clad dime or clad quarter using default 6 tone Park M1.

Ergonomics, balance and build quality are much better than the Equinox. Detecting ability for coins and jewelry is very similar. I like the Legend audio better than the Equinox which is saying a lot since I really like the Equinox audio.

Already found micro gold jewelry with the Legend. 10K opened hoop earring 3” deep that had steel safety pins all around it. Easy to hear it was there even with the fixed iron bias setting.

So bobh, I don’t know how much detecting experience you have, what your needs are in a detector or how much you can afford. All I will say is for coin and jewelry hunting, due to the excellent ergonomics, I prefer the Legend over an Equinox 800. I really prefer the Legend, like in triplicate over the Equinox 600 due to all of the outstanding audio features, the Goldfield mode and the higher selectable single frequencies on the Legend for less money than the Nox 600. When Nokta Makro release the saltwater beach ground balance and adjustable iron bias software updates the Legend will be hard to ignore.

Last edited:
I found the Equinox seriously out of balance, so while it didn’t weigh much it torqued down on my arm ........ and it’s probably because I have such long arms and prefer the rod extended way out, causing more of a balance issue than it should.
I thought I’d have the same problem with the Legend, but surprisingly I don’t. Balance is perfect for me extended way out......

THANK YOU. The 'torque' was a big reason I sold my 800 (plus lack of coil choices (then), leaks and other things). I figured the legend would have the same balance, glad to hear it's not!

A buddy (a hard core detectorest that has/had many of the best ones made) has the 600 and now has a legend. He said it's a little coil heavy. He really likes the 600 but said the legend is definitely a better detector. I planned on getting one just for beach work, it is the least expensive smf detector and the nox is a known leaker. I now believe based on his opinion, that I value, it will work great on land and yours that it balances well. Now just to find the best price. He got his for $600.

Back
Top Bottom