Has anyone used this power pack?

For the Equinox?
Seems this would be great for extended trips. Curious as to the weight and bulkiness of the power pack.
Thanks.

https://bigboyshobbies.net/rnb-pwr-nox-power-pack-for-minelab-equinox-800-and-600

I have one. It weighs a lot less than you would think. Not enough to notice really. It’s well thought out and fastens to the Equinox securely. You can also use it as a power bank to charge other things like your phone. I’ve never needed it on a normal all day hunt. I’ve used it in cases where I went out on an unplanned hunt and did not have time to charge my detector.

For the Equinox?
Seems this would be great for extended trips. Curious as to the weight and bulkiness of the power pack.
Thanks.

https://bigboyshobbies.net/rnb-pwr-nox-power-pack-for-minelab-equinox-800-and-600

That battery is 5000Mah, which is the same as the original. Battery chargers with that same capacity are now 20 dollars or even less. Or, you could still spend 40 but get twice the capacity or more.

When I detect all day I give the detector boosts from a battery pack during breaks. That's enough to not worry about keeping it attached while detecting.

That battery is 5000Mah, which is the same as the original. Battery chargers with that same capacity are now 20 dollars or even less. Or, you could still spend 40 but get twice the capacity or more.

When I detect all day I give the detector boosts from a battery pack during breaks. That's enough to not worry about keeping it attached while detecting.

I'm no RnB fan, but I think one of the advantages of this battery pack is how it mounts so seemlessly to the Equinox. From my understanding, it's something you can have attached to your machine at all times (assuming you don't do water hunting or hunt in the rain).

If you were to buy a "regular" power bank, you'd need to create some contraption/strap to keep it attached. This may not be as secure and would definitely not look as "clean."

Oh, and there's the advantage that the RnB pack would help improve the front-heavy balance issue of the Equinox using the stock coil and shaft.

I'm no RnB fan, but I think one of the advantages of this battery pack is how it mounts so seemlessly to the Equinox. From my understanding, it's something you can have attached to your machine at all times (assuming you don't do water hunting or hunt in the rain).

If you were to buy a "regular" power bank, you'd need to create some contraption/strap to keep it attached. This may not be as secure and would definitely not look as "clean."

Oh, and there's the advantage that the RnB pack would help improve the front-heavy balance issue of the Equinox using the stock coil and shaft.

Yeah, it's not very heavy, but the extra weight in the rear certainly does not hurt anything. It is a very clean and easy setup. It clamps to the shaft and is secured by the arm cuff hardware. You can wrap the charging cable along the shaft just like you do the coil wire. You could certainly get something cheaper, but this thing is built smart and it an easy fit.

I'm no RnB fan, but I think one of the advantages of this battery pack is how it mounts so seemlessly to the Equinox.

Yeah, it's not very heavy, but the extra weight in the rear certainly does not hurt anything. It is a very clean and easy setup. It clamps to the shaft and is secured by the arm cuff hardware. You can wrap the charging cable along the shaft just like you do the coil wire. You could certainly get something cheaper, but this thing is built smart and it an easy fit.

I have no doubt that the RnB pack is well designed and fits the stock Equinox very well. But for the benefit of folks that use an aftermarket arm cuff, it may be worth taking a careful look at the dimensions, exactly how the pack attaches and lays under the shaft, and how much clearance your cuff affords the pack.

In my case, I use Herke cuffs as a replacement for the plastic stock cuff. The cuff has a triangular shaped detector stand, and the apex of the triangle where it meets the shaft would likely interfere with the pack’s alignment and/or attachment (see pics below showing the Herke cuff vs stock). Just something to consider for aftermarket cuff users.

All that said, I’m with Toy Soldier…besides my concerns about the fit with the aftermarket cuff, the other reason why I decided against trying the power pack is that I felt it was unnecessary for me. On the rare occasions that I do an all day hunt, the on-board battery still has plenty of juice left starting from full. I was at a weekend event last March, and detected from dawn to dusk both days…my 2 1/2-year-old equinox battery lasted the full day with no problem, I just topped off overnight between the two hunts at the hotel. I do have beefy 26800mAh power packs that I keep in my backpack to charge devices if necessary, but so far I’ve only used them with earbuds and my cellphone - never needed it for the detector. At 3 1/2 years old now, I haven’t noticed any major battery degradation…it easily handles my usual 2-5 hour hunts.

Attachments

• 78ABFC1E-71C9-47C8-93A6-4AB9550281C8.jpg
    78ABFC1E-71C9-47C8-93A6-4AB9550281C8.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 347
  • F8BF7EDA-31F0-4617-8250-B9BD504831DE.jpg
    F8BF7EDA-31F0-4617-8250-B9BD504831DE.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 376
Thanks for the responses. I am considering this because I have a few long distance hunts planned.
:thumbsup:

I use an Anker power pack that was like $25 on Amazon. I carry it when hiking into the back country of the Bradshaw Mountains if I’m using my equinox. So far it has worked out just fine. I understand that battery you’re looking at will mount on the shaft and maybe give you some balance, but I have my pin pointer mounted under the arm cuff to the side which does that for me, so I don’t necessarily need that particular version. Now for me I don’t have the machine on all day. I only turn it on when I get to an area where I plan to use it, because otherwise I’m using my SDC 2300, since I’m actually looking for gold, and only use the equinox if I find an old miners camp. I’ve only had to use that battery pack one time and hooked it up to the machine while heading to a different place and it charged it up all the way. Might be something to look into if you didn’t want to spend 40?

Lots of good power banks out there for less money. A little extra for the snap on design and brand name? Not a bad choice.
I have a power bank that I found on the ground after an outdoor concert. Only needed it 2 times so far, and it works great! Zip tied to cuff.

You guys got me wondering how much the PWR-NOX pack actually weighs. It's just a hair under 4 ounces.

Anything to help reduce the nose-heavy-ness of the Equinox is a plus. And doing it with "useful weight" is even better.

Anything to help reduce the nose-heavy-ness of the Equinox is a plus. And doing it with "useful weight" is even better.

I've been doing a lot of hunting in the woods and brush before the foliage starts growing and I've been using my 6 inch coil exclusively so I've been a bit spoiled. LOL

I went ahead and ordered one along with a second charge cord so I can keep one cord at home and one with the pack. A few weeks ago the battery died and I had to go home for a charge then today I was down to one bar because I hunted all day yesterday and most of today.

I also ordered a replacement battery for the Nox so when it goes bad I have one on hand.

I am still trying to find a replacement that is similar to the micus sr71 wireless headphones, I can get the Minelab ones but they are $140. If i remember I paid around $60 for the micus.

Thanks.

I went ahead and ordered one along with a second charge cord so I can keep one cord at home and one with the pack. A few weeks ago the battery died and I had to go home for a charge then today I was down to one bar because I hunted all day yesterday and most of today.

I also ordered a replacement battery for the Nox so when it goes bad I have one on hand.

I am still trying to find a replacement that is similar to the micus sr71 wireless headphones, I can get the Minelab ones but they are $140. If i remember I paid around $60 for the micus.

Thanks.

Glad you got the pack. will be interesting to see how you like it. Yes, I have like 3 or 4 charging cords now and (3) WM08 modules. I tend to hoard things when it comes to a hobby and having spares. :roll: Luckily I only have 2 detectors. Even those are interchangeable.

I have no doubt that the RnB pack is well designed and fits the stock Equinox very well. But for the benefit of folks that use an aftermarket arm cuff, it may be worth taking a careful look at the dimensions, exactly how the pack attaches and lays under the shaft, and how much clearance your cuff affords the pack.

In my case, I use Herke cuffs as a replacement for the plastic stock cuff. The cuff has a triangular shaped detector stand, and the apex of the triangle where it meets the shaft would likely interfere with the pack’s alignment and/or attachment (see pics below showing the Herke cuff vs stock). Just something to consider for aftermarket cuff users.

All that said, I’m with Toy Soldier…besides my concerns about the fit with the aftermarket cuff, the other reason why I decided against trying the power pack is that I felt it was unnecessary for me. On the rare occasions that I do an all day hunt, the on-board battery still has plenty of juice left starting from full. I was at a weekend event last March, and detected from dawn to dusk both days…my 2 1/2-year-old equinox battery lasted the full day with no problem, I just topped off overnight between the two hunts at the hotel. I do have beefy 26800mAh power packs that I keep in my backpack to charge devices if necessary, but so far I’ve only used them with earbuds and my cellphone - never needed it for the detector. At 3 1/2 years old now, I haven’t noticed any major battery degradation…it easily handles my usual 2-5 hour hunts.

I did have to modify the mount somewhat to make it work well with the Herke cuff. I like the option of having the power pack. I've used it on long, overnight, ghost town hunts. We slept in our car and didn't have a power source to recharge from.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=287722

Glad you got the pack. will be interesting to see how you like it. Yes, I have like 3 or 4 charging cords now and (3) WM08 modules. I tend to hoard things when it comes to a hobby and having spares. :roll: Luckily I only have 2 detectors. Even those are interchangeable.
The only thing I can think of is the added weight, but it shouldnt be that big of a problem, and yes I also like spares.
Thanks Diabolik

I like mine. I was able to get it mounted even with my after market arm cuff.

I have the same after market cuff that AT has.

Thanks Stiffwrists

I did have to modify the mount somewhat to make it work well with the Herke cuff. I like the option of having the power pack. I've used it on long, overnight, ghost town hunts. We slept in our car and didn't have a power source to recharge from.

Yea, This should come in handy but could you not charge from your vehicle?

I have received it and it is really small. Fits on the Nox very well and its almost like its not there.

We will see how long it lasts.

:compcoffee:

Back
Top Bottom