Finding Some Really Neat Stuff At My New Site

dopeitstom

I started detecting at the grassy boulevards near my home a few weeks ago, and they haven’t disappointed me yet. These are public grassy areas that have been in near-constant use since the late 19th century. I found my first silver ring and my first wheat here a few weeks back, and I’ve been hitting the surrounding area hard ever since. Photo of the area below.

3Dq6jWY.jpg

Late last week, I was able to find my oldest Wheat Cent to date (1910) as well as a ‘57 wheat and this unspent cartridge. Photo below.

cphgpXs.jpg

Then the weekend came, and I had plans to hit these sites as hard as I could. However, it was raining. I decided to brave the rain for about 15 mins and somehow came across this set of keys. Unbelievable. I was thinking it was my first gold, but I’ve been told by a few people now that it is likely fake and/or plated. I couldn’t believe it when it came out of the hole. Photos below.

5Q08gZk.jpg

LmVdygt.jpg

eIk26uS.jpg

Now this week has been better weather and I’ve been out there a few hours each day. Found 5 more wheats, but my most interesting find was this postal worker’s button. Was able to find it while researching and discovered that it was likely in use sometime between 1893 - 1911. Very very very cool find! Photos below.

hlqkUAV.jpg

UScaRqx.jpg

Here’s a generic pic of what some of the stuff I’m pulling out of the boulevards looks like.

BPHoO5I.jpg

Happy hunting, all! See you on the next one.

Solid finds for sure, I have only dug one post office delivery button, and it was about a decade ago. Where there is wheat pennies, silver and gold could be close by. Low and slow! Congrats and good luck on your return trips!

Very nice assortment; looks like a fun spot. Great button! And don't even expect silver and it will pop up as a surprise now and then... Of course, I say that as a guy who prefers a good researchable relic over coins..

Back
Top Bottom