I'm having fun

Tuckerjr

I've been hunting around an old library here in town and an old school a short ride out town, just starting at both of these sites.

I found my first buckle and my first mercury dime (1941). I found an old rabies tag (1956), an aluminum token for a swimming pool, and a piece that I believe to be bronze, it's hard and non magnetic. A doorstop maybe? I can't find any images exactly like it on the internet, does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• 20220524_153851.jpg
    20220524_153851.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 20220524_154042.jpg
    20220524_154042.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 20220524_154054.jpg
    20220524_154054.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 190
Congrats not only on your finds, but knowing the real purpose of metal detecting.

Hope you continue to not only make finds, but enjoy the hobby as well, for years to come.

ETA: I'd say bronze piece is some sort of shaft/axle/bearing cap.

Just read all your posts.. first congrats... you seem to have the right attitude...

The forum is a great source for motivation... the believable finds... you can only dig so much and find so much in a given time... and it has to be there to find...

The forums and you tube are great sources to learn from... and humor... some of the members are funny they are reporting finds or amounts that are funny (not even close to believable)... so a good source of humor too... I have been doing this 40 years on and off... still get out 15 times a month... and the real grinders are real easy to tell from the ones that make me laugh...

Congrats and you have some great finds early on... keep it up...grinder!

My advice pinpointing...make it your #1 priority... I watch videos of people spending 5 minutes with a handheld pinpointer trying to find their target.....because they never learned to pinpoint... I have one maybe use it 1 to 2x a hunt...

Congrats not only on your finds, but knowing the real purpose of metal detecting.

Hope you continue to not only make finds, but enjoy the hobby as well, for years to come.

ETA: I'd say bronze piece is some sort of shaft/axle/bearing cap.

That was one of my initial thoughts as well, but it is solid across the back and heavy, and it has two countersunk holes that looked like they were peened with a punch to keep them from backing out.

Nice finds. Looks like you've identified a couple of interesting spots, probably more to come.

That was one of my initial thoughts as well, but it is solid across the back and heavy, and it has two countersunk holes that looked like they were peened with a punch to keep them from backing out.

Just size referencing from the merc, what it the flanged area, 2.5" diameter?

If the bottom side is flat, that's even more odd. Only having holes for 2 fasteners, it couldn't have been a pressure cap, at least I wouldn't think.

No worn marks on the back side?

Also wonder if the staking marks you mentioned were caused by someone in an attempt to remove the screws that held in place?

Another thought I just had was it it was perhaps a cover for say a waterline, and the hump was to prevent it from being covered by wallboard.

Back
Top Bottom