Oh me oh my, all you Florida hunters are in BIG trouble :

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
Taken from this article :

https://www.floridacriminaljustice.com/blog/2019/01/theft-by-finding-an-examination-of-florida-law/

"Theft by finding: an examination of Florida law

You’re walking down the beach at sunset, when all of the sudden you feel foot kick something hard. You look down and notice a pair of Rat-Ban sunglasses in pristine condition. You look around and, seeing no one to claim them, take them for yourself. Lucky you!

Unfortunately, in Florida, the rules of “finders keepers” don’t apply. Theft by finding is actually a crime.

The law:

Florida law states that if find lost or abandoned property and take it for yourself, you could face criminal charges, fines and jail time:

If you take a low-value item (worth less than $300), you could face a petit theft charge—the penalty for which is 6–12 months in jail and $500–$1,000 in fines.

If you find and take a higher value item, this is considered grand theft. The punishment for this crime is up to five years in jail and as much as $5,000 in fines.

Reporting found items:

If you find an item of value in a public space, you should turn it in to the police. The police will then take steps to track down its rightful owner. In South Florida, law enforcement agencies commonly post found items on propertyroom.com.

The cost of doing the right thing:

Being a good Samaritan comes at a price, however. If you turn over a found item, you must pay for the police department’s costs of advertising and storing it. While this represents a financial inconvenience up front, it is only temporary. If the true owner claims the items within 90 days, they must pay you back for your expenses. If the true owner does not come forward within this timeframe, you may keep the found item yourself.
"

And I see no shortage of show & tell, on our FMDF bragging sections, or rings we md'rs have found. You are all lawless miscreants.

And similar L&F laws exist in all 50 states. In various forms of wording. Oh the horror ! We are all racked with guilt now, eh ? :laughing:

https://www.floridacriminaljustice.com/blog/2019/01/theft-by-finding-an-examination-of-florida-law/

You’re walking down the beach at sunset, when all of the sudden you feel foot kick something hard. You look down and notice a pair of Rat-Ban sunglasses in pristine condition. You look around and, seeing no one to claim them, take them for yourself. Lucky you!

Unfortunately, in Florida, the rules of “finders keepers” don’t apply. Theft by finding is actually a crime.

It's a good thing I find Ray-Bans then! :lol:

Attachments

• mouse-sunglasses-funny-gray-rat-black-stand-90262039.jpg
    mouse-sunglasses-funny-gray-rat-black-stand-90262039.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 581
Every state has these laws on the book …. But many aren’t really enforced. GA has a similar law when I was a magistrate…. Theft of lost items. We often applied the ole “common sense” rule. Only when there’s drama and someone brings the police into it might these pop up. A lot of artifact rules as well.

What is the big news here Tom? Anything over a value of $50 in CT is supposed to be turned into the who ever runs the beaches... must be a slow day for you :lol:

What is the big news here Tom? Anything over a value of $50 in CT is supposed to be turned into the who ever runs the beaches... must be a slow day for you :lol:

I'm just making sure you trot to the police station for every ring you find, over $50 value. That's all :cool3:

Having $999 stolen from my bank account. They don't worry if thieves take that much. So i just never find anything of value. A pawn shop owner told me white gold is junk. So i look for junk white gold.

I'm just making sure you trot to the police station for every ring you find, over $50 value. That's all :cool3:

Do not forget you must pay the police for the trouble as well.
How does that not meet the definition of a racket? "Pay us for the service of us not coming after you"

Atlesst here its free, but still a waste of time.

My obsolete detectors can't reach the gold... I have nothing to worry about... its the Deus users that will have to turn in their gold and platinum.. :lol:

I dont recall ever finding a ring worth over $50, all were $49.99 or less. :p

..... A pawn shop owner told me white gold is junk. So i look for junk white gold.

When it comes to CA laws (which have "$100 or more" value criteria), I once asked a lawyer friend : "How is value determined ?" For example: A gold band might cost some poor sap $200 in a jewelry store, when new. And might sell for $120 as a used ring. And might sell for $90 @ scrap gold. Or, heck, a pawn shop might give you $50 for it. So which value do I use ? :?:

Or, heck, a brand new apple phone has an intrinsic value of probably .30c Ie.: Some silicone, some copper, some plastic, etc.... Or do you value it at the price when new ? Or when used ? Etc...

The lawyer thought about my question for a minute, and answered : "You take it to the police station, and let THEM determine how it's valued."

So c'mon guys, stop being lawless miscreants !! :police:

When I was working road patrol in FL, we NEVER advertised any found property. I actually wonder who does, such action was always believed to be advertising what we had and anyone could make up a claim to it. We did make all PD reports publicly available though and people could always call in and ask if a lost item was in our custody. On the flip side, iirc, our policy did follow that after 30 days a person could file claim for the item and was allowed to get it if no one challenged ownership and the item wasn't believed to be part of a crime.

I think (in part) this might fall back on FL's theft laws which are that "any attempt to deprive someone of their property is theft". There are many technicalities that are on the books that are never enforced and (at least when I was there) good common sense was applied and intent was evaluated.

I've said it for years. If you look at the laws passed in the 70s you'll find detecting, and not turning in what you find, can be against the law.

I've said it for years. If you look at the laws passed in the 70s you'll find detecting, and not turning in what you find, can be against the law.

I'm sure you turned in all those tot lot finds to the police... :yes:

Lol

Cfm-ct ---4 sure :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: > My obsolete detectors can't reach the gold... I have nothing to worry about... its the Deus users that will have to turn in their gold and platinum.. PS Tom -- I support the police 4 sure , however they will just have to work the funding out of the big guy as , I won't be funding them any time soon :workforgold:
Whites MXT All Pro
Founding Member of RingKeepers

Banned Spammers: 1075

4 members found this post helpful.

Cfm-ct ---4 sure :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: > My obsolete detectors can't reach the gold... I have nothing to worry about... its the Deus users that will have to turn in their gold and platinum.. PS Tom -- I support the police 4 sure , however they will just have to work the funding out of the big guy as , I won't be funding them any time soon :workforgold:
Whites MXT All Pro
Founding Member of RingKeepers

Banned Spammers: 1075

4 members found this post helpful.

Do you need lessons on how to quote a post? :roll:

The law:

Florida law states that if find lost or abandoned property and take it for yourself, you could face criminal charges, fines and jail time:

If you take a low-value item (worth less than $300), you could face a petit theft charge—the penalty for which is 6–12 months in jail and $500–$1,000 in fines.

If you find and take a higher value item, this is considered grand theft. The punishment for this crime is up to five years in jail and as much as $5,000 in fines.

Reporting found items:

If you find an item of value in a public space, you should turn it in to the police. The police will then take steps to track down its rightful owner. In South Florida, law enforcement agencies commonly post found items on propertyroom.com.

The cost of doing the right thing:

Being a good Samaritan comes at a price, however. If you turn over a found item, you must pay for the police department’s costs of advertising and storing it. While this represents a financial inconvenience up front, it is only temporary. If the true owner claims the items within 90 days, they must pay you back for your expenses. If the true owner does not come forward within this timeframe, you may keep the found item yourself.
"

And I see no shortage of show & tell, on our FMDF bragging sections, or rings we md'rs have found. You are all lawless miscreants.

And similar L&F laws exist in all 50 states. In various forms of wording. Oh the horror ! We are all racked with guilt now, eh ? :laughing:

Thanks for stirring up the pot and reminding us that we are all vagrants, just trying to make a few dollars and support our families. I thought your motto was ignorance is bliss!

I guess it's a good thing in California it's not a misdemeanor as long as it's under $950 😁

Back
Top Bottom