• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Anyone a member of this form Homesteading today

bergie

Forum Supporter
I joined it a couple of days a go being I have fruit trees and a garden. They have lots of information about crafting,gardening,farming,homemade soaps,quilting,hunting just about anything that pertains to owning your own home. I got a recipe off of their how to make dishwasher soap going to give it a try. Was on their to this evening they had 5000 and some people viewing 612 members. The only problem is they must not like people from West Virginia have not had one welcome yet.:lol:http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/

I am a member.

Ironically the reason I found this old topic is because of a search I did on accident here. Then attempted a search half thinking in google but included metal detecting and came across a new homestead forum... long story short it's a "friendly homestead" lol

I signed up a while back and posted a ton of my treasure hunting things there when it was more of a hobby forum but the format is now more geared towards homesteading.

I use my old username there posted a bunch of topics. Hope it takes off

www.friendlyhomestead.com

I am a member.

Ironically the reason I found this old topic is because of a search I did on accident here. Then attempted a search half thinking in google but included metal detecting and came across a new homestead forum... long story short it's a "friendly homestead" lol

I signed up a while back and posted a ton of my treasure hunting things there when it was more of a hobby forum but the format is now more geared towards homesteading.

I use my old username there posted a bunch of topics. Hope it takes off

www.friendlyhomestead.com

You did dig up and old one forgot about it.:lol: I checked it out don't seem like they have much activity going on.

Probably because most of the people that are homesteading don't have internet.
Huh? Why would most homesteaders not have internet? You might be surprised at the number of off-gridders that have TV, refrigeration, lights, etc...thanks to solar energy.

Huh? Why would most homesteaders not have internet? You might be surprised at the number of off-gridders that have TV, refrigeration, lights, etc...thanks to solar energy.

I thought the same thing, but then I remembered that there are places (e.g. Southern Ohio) where people don't have internet because they would have to pay the phone/cable company to run a line to them (in the middle of no where) and depending on distance, that can be a little pricey so they rely on using cell phones. The service may be crappy, they may only be able to make calls while "in town" but it's still cheaper to buy an extender and deal with it than it is to run a line.

https://arstechnica.com/information...en-finds-out-cable-internet-will-cost-117000/

EDIT: - I forgot to add that satellite internet is an option, but some people may not know about it or their house may be located at a bottom of a hill/mountain, etc. Large trees can also effect signal.

I thought the same thing, but then I remembered that there are places (e.g. Southern Ohio) where people don't have internet because they would have to pay the phone/cable company to run a line to them (in the middle of no where) and depending on distance, that can be a little pricey so they rely on using cell phones. The service may be crappy, they may only be able to make calls while "in town" but it's still cheaper to buy an extender and deal with it than it is to run a line.

https://arstechnica.com/information...en-finds-out-cable-internet-will-cost-117000/

EDIT: - I forgot to add that satellite internet is an option, but some people may not know about it or their house may be located at a bottom of a hill/mountain, etc. Large trees can also effect signal.

Maybe if they float an antenna above the treeline with a tethered helium balloon just for when they want to get a signal, but just not during any storms !

Back
Top Bottom