• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Equinox or T2

Mtc8966

Gang, I'm thinking about adding a new detector to my stable. I think I may break down like everyone else and buy an Equinox and just get it over with.. But I've had pretty good luck with my Teknetics Gamma and I think I may upgrade to the T2 se and stick with the Teknetics brand. I do mostly coin and relic hunting. I love finding old home locations and cellars and trying to find old coins, buttons and cool non ferrous relics. What would be a better option??? Thanks for your input!!

Last edited:
Gang, I'm thinking about adding a new detector to my stable. I think I may break down like everyone else buy an Equinox and just get it over with.. But I've had pretty good luck with my Teknetics Gamma and I think I may upgrade to the T2 se and stick with the Teknetics brand. I do mostly coin and relic hunting. I love finding old home locations and cellars and trying to find old coins, buttons and cool non serous relics. What would be a better option???

I have owned the Gamma 6000, Omega 8000 and an Equinox 800

I would go with the Equinox..

Hi,
I own two Equinox and I really like them. They work great in my high EMI and high mineralized dirt area. I have owned a T2 Classic and tried out the Gamma and Omega 8000. All three were impossible to use where I live which is too bad because they are all excellent detectors, especially the T2. So, I guess you don't have much mineralization or EMI, (if your Gamma was really chatty you would know) and the T2, the Omega 8500 or the F75 would work well in your area.

Jeff

That's a tough call..t2 classic I had was deep without even trying, but that's my Pennsylvania soil..I think if I had the choice tho between the equinox and t2se I'd take the equinox because it is more customizable which leads to more accurate hunting..

Thanks for the replies. It is a tough call for me too. I feel like the T2 would be a better machine for hunting cellar holes due to it's quick response time. But with all the positive feedback on the equinox it's hard to not seriously consider it.

Hi,
I own two Equinox and I really like them. They work great in my high EMI and high mineralized dirt area. I have owned a T2 Classic and tried out the Gamma and Omega 8000. All three were impossible to use where I live which is too bad because they are all excellent detectors, especially the T2. So, I guess you don't have much mineralization or EMI, (if your Gamma was really chatty you would know) and the T2, the Omega 8500 or the F75 would work well in your area.

Jeff

My Gamma runs pretty quiet most of the time. The mineralization read out on the display typically says (H) High or VH (Very High). But the machine is pretty quiet with sensitivity at 85-90. Every once and awhile the machine does go nuts. To the point where it can't be used at any sensitivity. The only thing that will quiet it down is if I turn the Disc. all the way up. - This is what is prompting me to look into a new machine.

The nice thing about the T2 is that it's a quality machine but with a limited amount of settings - Which I think is nice as I don't want to fiddle so much to the point that I'm always wondering if I got it right. Th nice thing about the Equinox is it's pretty much state of the art. But it does have a near infinite amount of settingd and adjustments.

Another machine that I'm kind of interested in is the Teknetics G2 / Fisher F19. I like that its a simple powerful machine with adjustable tone break.

Thanks so far for the input. Keep it coming.

F19 and g2+ are excellent machines..Probably the very best visual ID of any machine with only conductive numbers,lightest,fast and ID is till the edge of detection..Those 2 machines will hunt and get the goods where other machines won’t,period..There’s just no noise or pops or clicks,quite until it hits a target you want.
I usto set mine up for coin shooting and kill it...Another thing,you have a gamma..I think first Texas has som of the best coin machines going..I took a f5 to a pounded site and pulled a few great old coins including a slq that shouldn’t have been there seemining I was over that area with the newer tech machines..So ,I guess it’s really what your comfortable with in tones and reaction..I recently had a Teknetics Patriot,,and was that machine ever fast and deep,in my test bed I was lifting the coil up 4 to 5 inches above a 8 inch merc and it was banging it hard with good ID,,in default mode..That machine is a sleeper for sure.

Hi,
that chattiness by your Gamma is most likely from some form of EMI. So, if you decide to get a Teknetics T2 you should probably get the T2+. From accounts by some very good detectorists that I trust, it can handle EMI very well and still go deep.

As woodbutcher said, the Tek G2+/Fisher F19 are excellent detectors. They have as good of an all metal mode as any detector and can go deep especially with the right coil for your hunting and soil conditions. I personally am not a big fan of the stock 11X7 coil. I like the elliptical 10x5 better for what I do but that is just me. I have never had EMI problems with my F19 in All Metal or Discrimination mode EXCEPT with the 11X7 coil and even that interference was fairly minor. The G2+, the F19, the F70/Patriot and the T2 classic and T2+ are solid choices as an upgrade for your Gamma. The F19/G2+ is a little deeper in disc mode than your Gamma and much deeper in All Metal. I found that the T2 was really deep but I had no idea what the target was so that extra depth was mostly beep, dig and hope for the best. The coils you use with the Gamma are compatible with the F19/G2+ if they are DD coils. Your Gamma can use concentric coils but the F19/G2+ are not recommended for using concentric coils.

I have used my F19 and Equinox at several sites that sent my Gamma, T2 and Omega 8000 into EMI madness. The F19 and Equinox handled the EMI there with no problems.
From my experience, the Equinox is just as fast or faster at target recovery speed as any First Texas detector and target separation and target unmasking is better from my experience in my detecting areas.

Jeff

Thanks for all the input guys!! Jeff - Love the comment about "EMI madness"!!! Its so true and it happens when you least expect it at sites that have potential to be productive. But the Gamma has found some good stuff so I don't want to load it off. I have both the 8" and 11"DD coil for it.

I'm leaning toward the F19 or T2se. I know the Equinox is the fan favorite. To be fair I should mention I have an Etrac as well. But I really don't like it at all and don't use it ever. Not only is it a boat anchor to swing but I just don't like how it has 8 million settings. I know folks kill it with that machine but between the weight and all the setting options It's just not for me.

I love light ergos and ease of use in a simple but powerful machine.
I'm thinking something simple like the F19 / G2+ would be the best choice. Sounds like it would be a step up from my Gamma but not be redundant to it.

Been thier

Done that , had Omega 8000, Euro teks , the good thing you can interchange coils, however going to a T2 i believe you cant use those extra coil's , it takes it's own, why go from a single freq. > to another single frequincy machine, i still have my F75 but, it's been in the closet for 2 year's, even hunting the beaches mostly now i grab the EQ800 , multi frequincy , water proof to 10 foot, even though i don't submerge it , i can still hunt in the rain anytime , or run in salt. Happy hunting.

Done that , had Omega 8000, Euro teks , the good thing you can interchange coils, however going to a T2 i believe you cant use those extra coil's , it takes it's own, why go from a single freq. > to another single frequincy machine, i still have my F75 but, it's been in the closet for 2 year's, even hunting the beaches mostly now i grab the EQ800 , multi frequincy , water proof to 10 foot, even though i don't submerge it , i can still hunt in the rain anytime , or run in salt. Happy hunting.

Thanks for the reply. I get what you're saying about the Equinox and buying another single frequency machine. That's kind of why I started this thread. Does it really make sense?? I am a big believer that you can't find something that's not there and research is more important than the machine you're using. I would just like to upgrade to something a little more powerful. EMI is periodically an issue with the Gamma too. I'd like some more features but not so many that I'm always wondering if I have it set up correctly.

mmmm

You will still get EMI from the NOX to, a certain stretch of the beach beat's me up, i just lower the sensitivity till i pass it , Condo wifi , electric whatever it is:lol: The Equinox is a good all around machine, dirt and beach , and don't have to worry about getting it wet is a plus, with the T2 your limited , i ran the F75 for years' , i was happy with it, than the Etracs' , than CTX for a short spin, selling one, keeping one, but i will pick up the EQ800 for one reason, it's light , pretty much happy with it , with Mods, you will need the carbon fiber shaft, get one with head replacement hole options, as you will want to move the handle with head forward to balance out the machine , it's front heavy, the stock shaft , IS NOT the best, happy hunting whatever you choose , Earl

I had a Fisher f70. loved it. pounded sites till the machine ran quiet.

went over those sites with a 600 and some of them it was like I was never there. I sold my f70 immediately. The t2 is basically an f75 and most will tell you the f70 isn't eclipsed by the f75 by as large a margin as the price tag dictates.

Thanks for the replies. As nice as the Equinox is I think Im going to stick with Fisher / Teknetics.

Well gang. After a lot of thinking I decided to go with the Equinox 600 with the free 6" coil. Bought from Big Boys Hobbies. Just couldn't pass up that deal!! Got the machine and read the manual. Took it out in the field. It's going to be a learning curve for sure. I decided to sell my Teknetics Gamma. I felt like as long as I had the Gamma I would always go back to it to be in my comfort zone. I'm trying to focus my attention on learning one machine really well. I was doing well with the Gamma and making great finds. Hopefully by moving to the Equinox I'm taking a step back for the learning curve but I eventually take two steps forward. Time will tell. Thanks for all the feedback.

I own both T2 & Nox 600.... Surprisingly the Nox in Multi Freq is more EMI prone than My T2.....IN Some cases I must run my Nox in single Freq.

hey have fun with it! i enjoyed my fisher f2 for many years; if i can do that, your 600 is gonna be a world full of excitement!

I own both T2 & Nox 600.... Surprisingly the Nox in Multi Freq is more EMI prone than My T2.....IN Some cases I must run my Nox in single Freq.

My Teknetics Gamma 6k was good to me. If this Equinox turns out to be a basket case I’ll load it off for a T2 Classic and just stick with it and never look at another Minelab again.

Back
Top Bottom