New Minelab Equinox

Are you auto ground balancing?
Iron bias set to 0.
Sens 23/24
Park 2
Speed equivalent on your model to whatever 4 is on 800 model. Looks like speed 2 on 600 model.
Noise cancel

About all I can recommend. I don't have 600.

been there and done all that. people on youtube give me a hard time or should i say detectors a hard time in my garden and they are just true depth difficult targets.

to be fair most detectors struggle on them. all i can get eq to do is iron tone.

now my 7"nickel hits hard and best id of all tested. etrac and ctx dethrowned there.

i'll keep working at it before posting a youtube video. i'm not ready for all the you are doing it wrong comments.

Alright checked my 800 model on clad dime.
Depth at least 9" deep, may be as deep as. 9.25" deep.

Park 2 sens 24. Iron bias 0 speed 5 or 6 gives best signal. Speed 4 dodgy sounding, iron tone with blip when coil comes off dime when swept.
I get ID too with faster sweeps.23 and 25 coming in meter.
Slower sweep gets signal but ID is low like 13-14.
Now, I have talked about deep nickel likes speed 4 for best signal. But nickel is bigger and low conductor.

This soil where this dime is, is barely 4 bars Fisher F75. I am basing this on how many coil pumps it takes to get to 4 bars.

KC has always been !!!! on communication. 2 times I sent items in for repairs, I included a large-font, printed page explained the problems and ALL my contact info and request notification when it shipped back to me. Never had any contact, never knew when my items were shipped.

similar to kidlester's post, I just came home and found my detector sitting on the front porch.

Same. Sent my CTX in for warranty work. Included contact info and asked for a quote on upgrading to newer seals, cuff, etc. Never a word back. Even had to call after a couple of weeks to see if they even got the darn thing. Sure enough, one day a box on my porch with the CTX in it. No shipping notice, nothing. At least they fixed the problem I sent it in for, but that’s just bad business practice IMO.

Alright checked my 800 model on clad dime.
Depth at least 9" deep, may be as deep as. 9.25" deep.

Park 2 sens 24. Iron bias 0 speed 5 or 6 gives best signal. Speed 4 dodgy sounding, iron tone with blip when coil comes off dime when swept.
I get ID too with faster sweeps.23 and 25 coming in meter.
Slower sweep gets signal but ID is low like 13-14.
Now, I have talked about deep nickel likes speed 4 for best signal. But nickel is bigger and low conductor.

This soil where this dime is, is barely 4 bars Fisher F75. I am basing this on how many coil pumps it takes to get to 4 bars.

mine is 2 bar on f75. I'll do more testing this weekend. Even compare to 800. You can tell minelab was focused on relic/low conductors market. They already have parks/coins locked up.

mine is 2 bar on f75. I'll do more testing this weekend. Even compare to 800. You can tell minelab was focused on relic/low conductors market. They already have parks/coins locked up.

For gee whiz, I grabbed my Deus with 9" LF coil on it.
This clad dime 9"-9.25" deep.
Deus won't touch.
Hot program and deep program freqs 8, 12 and 18khz tx power 2. Txpower 3 has never ever helped me with depth with Deus around here. Maybe on a half dollar or bigger target.
Can hit in pinpoint,, gold field reactivity 2,, if I dial threshold up I might be able to hear this dime in gold field using reactivity 2.5.
Dead on GB.
Did not try GB manipulation.

I'd it will quit raining for a few minutes I'll take 11" coil and Deus and check.

my ground is around 20 on nox in multi. interstingly id is best with deafult 0 ground setting. I noticed ground is very specific to each mode multi, each freq, each noise channel. which it should be. just a lot if noise cancel and gb'ing every time you switch freq/modes. lots of optikns baked into the modes like impact. writing is on the wall for a much more robust multi-iq machine in future. multi-iq feels like single frequency operation to me. definitely a different way of doing things. nice units. i dont know about obsoleting detectors though. I'll have a kruzer monday.

Pine, Impact has better depth and performance. Eq has better ID. IN MY GARDEN

Good info on the nox.Depth on high conductive targets tho doesn’t sound good,at least in ground tests.Thats a 11 dd coil,good size for depth.Im thinking also that maybe it’s geared more towards lower conductors,at least in multi frequency mode? Has anyone tried a in ground depth test at the lowest kHz,running single frequency?
I know the tornado coil is a inch one way and 2 inches the other way larger than the nox stock coil,but they’re pretty close in size to split hairs.My 7.5 kHz xterra tornado bangs my 10 inch merc,ID and all...Now nickels and lower conductors it doesn’t do well at,but higher conductors it’s a depth monster.

Good info on the nox.Depth on high conductive targets tho doesn’t sound good,at least in ground tests.Thats a 11 dd coil,good size for depth.Im thinking also that maybe it’s geared more towards lower conductors,at least in multi frequency mode? Has anyone tried a in ground depth test at the lowest kHz,running single frequency?
I know the tornado coil is a inch one way and 2 inches the other way larger than the nox stock coil,but they’re pretty close in size to split hairs.My 7.5 kHz xterra tornado bangs my 10 inch merc,ID and all...Now nickels and lower conductors it doesn’t do well at,but higher conductors it’s a depth monster.

single frequencydoesnt really change much besides being quieter. at least in my high emi environment.

the xterra 705 on 7.5khz can hit my my 9" and 10" coins with 10.5 coil. as of yet...eq 600...cant. i have lits of tests on these cojns with various machines on youtube.

I dont know if it matters but we did just get 1-2" of rain

For gee whiz, I grabbed my Deus with 9" LF coil on it.
This clad dime 9"-9.25" deep.
Deus won't touch.
Hot program and deep program freqs 8, 12 and 18khz tx power 2. Txpower 3 has never ever helped me with depth with Deus around here. Maybe on a half dollar or bigger target.
Can hit in pinpoint,, gold field reactivity 2,, if I dial threshold up I might be able to hear this dime in gold field using reactivity 2.5.
Dead on GB.
Did not try GB manipulation.

I'd it will quit raining for a few minutes I'll take 11" coil and Deus and check.

Alright checked dime above with Deus wearing 11" DD coil.
Hot program no cigar.
The only signal,Imget is in deep program.
A signal I rate as , the only reason I say I'm getting a signal is because I know the dime is down there. Would have to be real,lucky to find in the wild using disc mode.

Went back and checked Equnox again. I get just about equivalent signals using field,2 and park 2. Speed at 5. Good tone, go to flush pretty good though sweeping. If after detection I speed sweep a bit get pretty good ID running at 23-25.
Checked beach 2 mode again with iron bias at 0, but tried different speed settings. Seemed 6 was the best but signal not quite as good as field 2 and park 2.
I used a 23 sens setting last time out with Nox.

Btw, another gee whiz
Guess how many 9" deep dimes around here I have found with Deus (Using LF coils)? Two
But there is a catch, I detected 2 in the same hole once. That's it and I've been running Deus for a while now around here.
Have dug some deep nickels though like 10" deep. Multiple times.

Imo the way Equinox behave with sweep on deep coins, etc, this is a key I think to being successful,with the detector, at recovering deeper whatever. Watch that meter and see if it tries to go into the 20s region on sweeps. Then dig. How coil position sensitive Equinox is too to get meter to jump. Think of meter jump like cursor on Etrac. Now the reason I say this, I have not seen Equinox meter jump on a mid/lower conductor when sweeping into the 20s region.
A deeper lower conductor likely not take as much sweep speed to get max reading on meter for target's conductivity. If say you get a real deep nickel like 11" deep, meter might read 2.3 or 4. But remember you'll likely know it's deep due to coil position sensitive as far as detection. Remember, what are the odds of a target with ID or 2,3 or 4 being able to be detected at 9-12" deep? Usually a target that low conductive real small.
Equinox detects nickels deeper than Etrac/CTX does in my area.

Another nice thing about Equinox, the small things it strikes that reads say 3,4 and 5 on the meter, it will give pretty loud tone...deep nickel will have less robust tone
Folks looking for the deepest fringe detectable with Equinox, better watch using notch or too much disc.

Last edited:
Video showing some data put together by a great gent.
Love his videos.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2svZzaFbfms

Looks like a typo with beach 1 mode.
>
>
byCHuua.png

Back to my 9-9.25" dime I talked about above.
I have had substantial rain over night. So I went back and checked Dime again with Equinox and Deus 11" LF coil.
Deus- no signal period all disc modes loads of settings tried.
And swept from every conceivable angle too.

Equinox again giving tone park 2 and field 2. This morning park 2 is doing slightly better the field 2.
Gold mode 1 hits but is dodgy.
Gold mode 2 hits good.

I will be trying and will be watching.
In old hunted out sites like deep turf, especially in medium mineralized soil and higher, gold mode 2 might just get you over a deeper coin, etc. Then user can check using other detect modes (settings). Even say a dime out of fbs territory depth wise. If I had a target stronger in gold mode 2 but weaker tone sounding using park 2 and or field 2-- with positive ID, I would dig. Gold mode 2 on deeper target small seems to give stronger hit tone wise but shorter overall vs park 2 and field 2.
Seems gold mode 2 a little less swing speed sensitive and not as finicky with speed setting either.
Now I can't speak here for milder ground. Could the same thing be happening but with even deeper targets?

If anything different between yesterday evening vs this morning after all the rainfall---ID not quite as good with a faster sweep.

Btw, I listened to dime in AM too using park 2, field 2 and gold mode. Didn't like what I heard. Seems to me better to run with AM off. Tone sounds funny, not as alerting when trying to find the deeper stuff (nonferrous).

Also food for thought here. In my soil I can tell about depth by adjusting speed setting. Another way to try and discern depth of target. If I go to 7 speed wise and lose target- expect coin size deeper safely than 8.5" higher conductor.

If I can dial speed up,or down a couple numbers and still get good hit-- tells me likely lower conductor. (Assuming I am not seeing an ID in meter for higher conductor).

I can go form park 2 to park 1 and get depth Intel on target.

What I am saying here, the menu and modes and settings give a user ways to get info. Person just needs to know strengths and weaknesses of what changes in fact generally do/affect.

Minelab deserves great credit for the menu layout on Equinox.

Just think cherry picking like a park.
Wonder if I get a signal using speed 7, but check target using speed 5 and target gets crippled badly or disappears. What does that tell me. That is an odds on favorite nonferrous whatever that likely has never been heard before by folks using other detectors, especially fbs types.

Last edited:
been there and done all that. people on youtube give me a hard time or should i say detectors a hard time in my garden and they are just true depth difficult targets.

to be fair most detectors struggle on them. all i can get eq to do is iron tone.

now my 7"nickel hits hard and best id of all tested. etrac and ctx dethrowned there.

i'll keep working at it before posting a youtube video. i'm not ready for all the you are doing it wrong comments.

Looking forward to your videos. They will be helpful in helping me decide how the Equinox compares to my Deus.
Amazing how many people get a kick out of being negative........

Aren't those what the 800 ones are but rebadged? Maybe not, Look close, What brand are the 800 ones? forgot

No, those look a little different (but not much). The original of the ML headphones is the "iselector bt80", which used to be everywhere and really cheap, but now aren't available at all :roll:

Back
Top Bottom