SS fraud

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Ok.... i was out yesterday with the MDT and hit that first chain. CLEARLY marked 14K on the clasp.... and it had weight. Got it home ..... first thing weight 22 grams, 21" long. Scratched it on the stone .... good looking color... BUT wait it didnt acid test but 10K. Just cheap gold? Out comes the earth magnet..... there it was SS. The second chain was the same except it wasnt marked it had no clasp. Both those chains will read a SOLID 1 on the Nox. Get ready for some disappointment because there is a lot of this on Freebay. two of the rings were SS as well. There was nothing to indicate it was plated .... so makes you wonder ... DID the person know it was plated of did they get taken advantage of? I heard the other day there maybe a company now using the MAKER MARK as 18k..... ugh.

How about that knife collection? Who needs a gun.....everyones carrying a knife.:laughing:

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 665
Long time ago I bought some very low priced chains in Manhattan that the clasp was marked 14 ...I’m talking around 1990 or so..month later the chain started turning green from wearing it,,local jewler told me the clasp was the only thing that was gold and he sells the clasps for a few bucks a piece..so,I didn’t know

Even the clasp ISNT gold...... clearly its brass. Having some idea as to how much a 14K necklace costs from on line or a jewelry store ...... id be ticked to find out it was junk. Oooo i have an ideal ill post it on CL as a found item..... 14K necklace and hope for a reward.....:laughing:

Still some nice finds though. Hunted 2 days ago and dug 4 items that were a solid 1 on the Nox , all trash. Passed on another because I was tired. Went against my own thinking on digging solid #s. Probably should have dug it.
5 yrs ago near Camp Pendleton I found a Benchmade knife in the water. I have seen Seal's train in this area in the past. Knife was a little beat up , but still functional. Cleaned up good. There were 5 small diagonal file Mark's on the knife. I'm assuming this meant for 5 kills.

Steve the knives were all found IN the water.... waist to chest deep. Popular beach shouldnt have been any fishing ...... but we know how that goes by all the hooks we find. Just seems more and more of the gold jewelry is SS plated. Irritating seeing that beautiful coloring ...... then once it hand ...... ugh.

Balz! Metal Detectorists hate the fakers of PMs more than just about anybody!
On account of we work so hard on the capture...Major letdown swear..

Steve the knives were all found IN the water.... waist to chest deep. Popular beach shouldnt have been any fishing ...... but we know how that goes by all the hooks we find. Just seems more and more of the gold jewelry is SS plated. Irritating seeing that beautiful coloring ...... then once it hand ...... ugh.
I'm almost at my breaking point with this !!!!. To the point where I can shake my scoop , look inside , and go... junk...

I'm almost at my breaking point with this !!!!. To the point where I can shake my scoop , look inside , and go... junk...

I'm with you pal, but those heavy Tungstens sure send off a sweet signal and a dynamic clankity clank in the scoop!...I'd about rather scoop a simple pulltab than a bastard metal ring or chain...

I'm with you pal, but those heavy Tungstens sure send off a sweet signal and a dynamic clankity clank in the scoop!...I'd about rather scoop a simple pulltab than a bastard metal ring or chain...

Nah...still rather have the ring. Funny , last week I eyeballed my 1st silicone ring on the sand. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come !
Imagine after a storm , the beach littered with silicone rings. And you're saying " remember the days we used to find tungsten and stainless steel rings". Just deplorable...

Ok.... i was out yesterday with the MDT and hit that first chain. CLEARLY marked 14K on the clasp.... and it had weight. Got it home ..... first thing weight 22 grams, 21" long. Scratched it on the stone .... good looking color... BUT wait it didnt acid test but 10K. Just cheap gold? Out comes the earth magnet..... there it was SS. The second chain was the same except it wasnt marked it had no clasp. Both those chains will read a SOLID 1 on the Nox. Get ready for some disappointment because there is a lot of this on Freebay. two of the rings were SS as well. There was nothing to indicate it was plated .... so makes you wonder ... DID the person know it was plated of did they get taken advantage of? I heard the other day there maybe a company now using the MAKER MARK as 18k..... ugh.

How about that knife collection? Who needs a gun.....everyones carrying a knife.:laughing:

Anychance it's a U21 jewelry? they Mark all their stuff with 14K or 18K, but U21 is known to be fake. They don't even bother to try to pretend. It's good looking stuff, but it's not real.

Skippy

Seriously? I'd rather pull tungsten rings all day long. I can usually sell them for about $5. :)

Skippy

I think this trend away from pm's being used in jewelry will continue. We live in such a disposable time. I've been finding more fake "everything" and I suspect the people who buy this !!!! actually do know it's fake. If they lose it...no big deal.

Dew......I feel for you fresh drop hunters, I would go crazy with all of the bottle caps, pull tabs, felix pennies, then come across something that really jumps out at you....then the crash! Like a few have posted I have a fairly keen eye for the real gold. But I still get the up, then the down of the fake when I slip into a area that has the new age finds.

Go to 1:45 in video

Dang,,,,,,I thought all along from your FB that the knives were out of your closet,,,,:laughing:just plain weird,,,,,Congrats on the junk haul,,,,I feel your pain on the SS,,,,,Last month I had sooooo many SS I could cry,,,,,found one Thursday night in the dry sand,,,,,the feeling of seeing it in the scoop under a headlamp is even worse,,,they look better,,,,,,It seems to be a big trend right now that I hope doesn't continue but I think by far I find more junk jewelry, tung., etc than I did when I first started hunting 8 years ago,,,, GL HH:

It was like a hit mans convention with all the knives lol. Head lamp....dry sand... man you do want to hunt. Time change has made me lazy about those early hunts now. This early bird wasn’t getting the 🐛. I see those silicon rings having gold or silver bands added just to triple the cost.

It was like a hit mans convention with all the knives lol. Head lamp....dry sand... man you do want to hunt. Time change has made me lazy about those early hunts now. This early bird wasn’t getting the 🐛. I see those silicon rings having gold or silver bands added just to triple the cost.

Man, I do what I can right now,,,,,,I can hunt the water for an hour tops and then switch the head lamp on and hit the dry sand,,,,,,,beggers cant be choosers sometimes,,,,,there is dry sand that has built up over summer and ignored,,,,,,,,,,not what I want but that's what I get,,,,,GL HH

Back
Top Bottom