Custom hard case for my Etrac. MUST SEE!

inkspotslo

After getting my new used Etrac the thought of it rolling around in my storage unit, like my IDX Pro, was just not going to happen. I searched the web for a good deal on a Pelican hard case, but the cost of a new one of those would set me back almost 200 bucks. I knew at times the detector would stay in storage for 3-4 months at a time without being used. So I definitely wanted to be secure and water tight. Taking a different direction I came up with this solution to the problem. Let me know what you think.

Robert

Attachments

• Closed top 1.jpg
    Closed top 1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,681
  • Open View 2.jpg
    Open View 2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 2,435
  • Top View 3.jpg
    Top View 3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 2,755
  • Inside View 4.jpg
    Inside View 4.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,391
That is a very nice solution for transporting and storage.I have been wanting a hard case and a way to store my machines.I will be eyeballing the tool boxes and walmart and lowes now..

I'm guessing on costs to make this "case" which, by the way, looks as if it were designed specifically for you machine...good job!

Stanley tool box $30-40 at Walmart or other retailer

Package of bungee cords $5

Foam padding $5

Not bad at all. In the neighborhood of $50 and a little bit of effort, you get an amazing hard case for transport/storage.

Stanley FAT Max Tool Box and Cost

This project turned out sweet! room for everything you need plus a space under the mud tray for my web belt and relic bag. Total cost: 4 trips to the hardware store, $75.00 in parts and about 20 hrs. of prep time putting it all together. The foam was a little expensive at $24.00 from the local upholstery shop. This closed cell foam will be easier to clean and regular foam. Now that I know where everything fits I could probably do it in 5 hrs. The most time consuming art is cutting the foam bottom to fit. This was so much fun to make, I felt like a kid playing with the card board box after opening my birthday presents. Even my wife asked me at one point, " Have you even turned on your machine yet? ":shock:

Robert

Exellent job I store my detector in a back pack with everything I need. Seein that my cibola breaks down in 3 pieces fits nicely. But that hardcase you have there is the bomb. Good job.:cool:

That is sweet !

I too looked at the "fancy" Pelican ones. I think what you have is much more sensible. Did you have to add the watertight seal ? Is there a model # for that particular box ? Guess I'll have to expand my "wish list".:lol:
Marty

I have soft cases but no hard cases for my detectors. If my Border Collie ever chews on the soft cases, she'll be in the pound!! (Kidding). That IS a sweet looking case!!!!

Dusty

Soft rubber seal is molded to the box lip. I think it's better than the Pelican's removeable O-ring.

Hard Case Project

If there is some interest, I can try to put together a parts list and instructions on what I did.

I too looked at the "fancy" Pelican ones. I think what you have is much more sensible. Did you have to add the watertight seal ? Is there a model # for that particular box ? Guess I'll have to expand my "wish list".:lol:
Marty

Thats a good idea, I don't normally break mine down but I might get one and keep one of my detectors in my trunk for spur of the moment hunts.

Back
Top Bottom