Convince me to get a Lesche to replace my Whites

pryan67

Forum Supporter
So I have a Whites DigMaster digging tool but I have a couple hundred in Amazon gift cards burning a hole in my pocket. I'm thinking a Lesche digger.

Convince me that I should drop the money....or convince me to save it for laundry detergent or cookies :)

(I'm getting a Sampson 18" tool too, so that doesn't come into play)

Mmmmm, cookies. I also have the Whites and a Predator Model 85, the handle on the Whites is definitely more comfortable. Though the sheath isn't holding up very well, had to re-rivet it, but the Whites is better then the Predator, (which is similar to the Lesche), IMO.

Buy some waterproof headphones for the Nox!

I do really like my Lesche though. I bought myself one a couple years ago for Christmas from Meyers, just because, and I got a cool t-shirt, and it really is the digger to have, really.

Buy some waterproof headphones for the Nox!

I do really like my Lesche though. I bought myself one a couple years ago for Christmas from Meyers, just because, and I got a cool t-shirt, and it really is the digger to have, really.

:) I bought a set of Minelab waterproof headphones. The audio kept cutting out. Not a HUGE deal for me since I can see the display, but I want to be able to lend them to my blind friend who also detects with a Nox so I returned them. Once that credit comes through I'll be getting Grey Ghost ones I think.

I have both and I like the lesche best only because it is much lighter to handle. At the end of the day that makes a difference to me. Both work well, not like the Garrett which broke after only a few trips out.

I have both and I like the lesche best only because it is much lighter to handle. At the end of the day that makes a difference to me. Both work well, not like the Garrett which broke after only a few trips out.

Thanks...I ordered one (actually two...one left handed and one right. I'm going to give the right serrated one to my hunting buddy, since he's been longing for one for a long time) last night and it should be here today.

I have the 18" and the 31" Sampson spades. My only quandary,,, which to grab. Long or short. The short can hide along my leg( in case its one of my sensitive days and I care what people think). But the long is just more comfy digging and acts as a cane and or a "Battle Axe". Sturdy axes both but lately I've been fortunate to dig at places the long 31" lesche fits but most of all, the longer Sampson helps me climb back up off my knee when I'm overheated and tired. Lately bout 2 hours and I'm pretty spent of energy.. .:cool3:

I have both the 18' and 31" sampsons. I rarely use the 31" since getting the 18". Personally I don't care for the Lesche diggers. I like the straight blades like the Hori-Hori knives. I have been using versions of them for over thirty years and have never felt like one might break and have actually pounded them into rock hard clay.

Last edited:
The 18” shovel seems like a weird size unless you’re packing in somewhere. I’ve had the 31“ Sampson shovel for 3.5 years and have put it through some of the worst digging possible, including prying solid dirt 8”x8”x8” ice cubes out of the ground. And that’s after using the shovel to dig them in the first place! The ergonomics of an 18” wouldn’t work for me at all. In the end, use what works for YOU. Just keep the 31“ in the back of your mind when that ground becomes just about undiggable for various reasons...:lol:

Sampson diggers cut a faster hole....a neater hole....and with less effort than the Lesche. And to top it off way less coins get scratched. I never could see the fascination with the Lesche. Even the old Gator diggers with the concaved blade were better.

And one more thing.......The Sampson makes a good weapon against man or beast. Gives you that extra reach advantage.

Last edited:
I have both the 18' and 31" sampsons. I rarely use the 31" since getting the 18". Personally I don't care for the Lesche diggers. I like the straight blades like the Hori-Hori knives. I have been using versions of them for over th9irty years and have never felt like one might break and have actually pounded them into rock hard clay.

+1 :thumbsup:
Still using my Parker Knives made Hori Hori. Bought it back in the 70's I think. Good steel and a very tough digger.
It has dug many, many thousands of holes in all types of ground, used as a pry bar, sawed roots.

+1 :thumbsup:
Still using my Parker Knives made Hori Hori. Bought it back in the 70's I think. Good steel and a very tough digger.
It has dug many, many thousands of holes in all types of ground, used as a pry bar, sawed roots.

I used my original 3-in-1 knife for about thirty years without any problems. It is about as close to a Hori-Hori knife as you can get. I finally decided to retire it because I didn't want to take the chance of losing it. I didn't realize how much it had worn until I placed it next to my new one. They were the same size when it was new. I never knew that Parker made them too. I collect knives and Parkers are hard to find anymore.
3-in-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom