I’m Down Wit OCC!(Wisconsin Old Coin Contest)

IDXMonster

Elite Member
Who down wit OCC? Retroactive to Jan 1,2019,the Wisconsin Old Coin Contest is again at hand! This is your opportunity to scare up some old sites,spank some oldies out of the ground and show that swagger! We all know(especially around here) that getting back to the 1800s is hard enough,not to mention getting far enough back to win this thing! We have had some great coins found and displayed,some being something I could only dream of finding. But the dream is alive!...SOMEBODY found them and that means that they indeed do exist. It isn’t easy,it never will be easy and it’s not easy to win this contest! You have to be dedicated,smart,willing to live outside “da box” or just plain lucky. As always...
1) The coin MUST be found in Wisconsin
2) The coin MUST be identifiable as from a certain age range or have a legible date.
3) Certain tokens which were commonly used in lieu of US currency of the time will be accepted as long as the pre-requisite identifiers are there. I will take the liberty of playing God with this...
4) The contest this year will end on October 31st. Any entries should be posted before this date please!
This is of course my own personal ploy to get people to think about how to advance their own coin hunting. The skills needed to operate any machine proficiently will be needed,as well as thinking about hunting places with history. It is almost a given certainty that fantastic coins will be found,and we should be proud to have found each and every one. 50 years of previous hunters missed that coin,and YOU just found it! I wonder if it’s old enough to win that damn contest...
Good luck to everyone! Hunt legally,be safe,have fun! And post those coins!!:yes:

TO CLARIFY!...The coin must be FOUND in Wisconsin,ANYBODY from ANYWHERE can find it! So if you’re in Illinois and want to skip the border...fair game! You live in Minnesota? Iowa? Guam? Find it in Wisconsin and it’s fair game! We’ve had “clean play” so far,I will expect that it will continue...

Last edited:
Who down wit OCC? Retroactive to Jan 1,2019,the Wisconsin Old Coin Contest is again at hand! This is your opportunity to scare up some old sites,spank some oldies out of the ground and show that swagger! We all know(especially around here) that getting back to the 1800s is hard enough,not to mention getting far enough back to win this thing! We have had some great coins found and displayed,some being something I could only dream of finding. But the dream is alive!...SOMEBODY found them and that means that they indeed do exist. It isn’t easy,it never will be easy and it’s not easy to win this contest! You have to be dedicated,smart,willing to live outside “da box” or just plain lucky. As always...
1) The coin MUST be found in Wisconsin
2) The coin MUST be identifiable as from a certain age range or have a legible date.
3) Certain tokens which were commonly used in lieu of US currency of the time will be accepted as long as the pre-requisite identifiers are there. I will take the liberty of playing God with this...
4) The contest this year will end on October 31st. Any entries should be posted before this date please!
This is of course my own personal ploy to get people to think about how to advance their own coin hunting. The skills needed to operate any machine proficiently will be needed,as well as thinking about hunting places with history. It is almost a given certainty that fantastic coins will be found,and we should be proud to have found each and every one. 50 years of previous hunters missed that coin,and YOU just found it! I wonder if it’s old enough to win that damn contest...
Good luck to everyone! Hunt legally,be safe,have fun! And post those coins!!:yes:

Sounds great IDX.
Wish I could play.

I had the privilege to hunt on a invite with Kevin (IDX Monster) this last Saturday. The hunt was great and the site has a lot of possibilities but the reason for this post is because the hunt was one that took the wind out of me. During a bit of break we sat down talking and eating our lunch. At that time he reached across the table with his hand down cupping something. I reached out and he dropped the item into my hand and then told me it was my prize for winning the oldest coin find for 2018. This contest for the Wisconsin's oldest coin is special and put on by Kevin to add a bit of excitement and to add some challenge to the hunts. Maybe to get some of the many Wisconsin hunters to enter their finds through the posts on this forum. He alone has provided the prizes and I for one am very thankful. Trapper

Attachments

• 1$ Gold jpg.jpg
    1$ Gold jpg.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 910
  • 1$ Gold 1 jpg.jpg
    1$ Gold 1 jpg.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 907
How does one go about entering?

First Welcome to the hobby and to this forum. Are you in Wisconsin? To answer your question. It's not tough Fowlmouth. First the coin must be dug in the state of Wisconsin between January 1st and October 31st. It has to be legally dug and posted on this Forum. Pictures must show the date if possible. No seeded hunt coins are allowed. It is a contest that your honor and word is trusted. IDX has the final word and is the only judge. Hope this helps. Trapper

First Welcome to the hobby and to this forum. Are you in Wisconsin? To answer your question. It's not tough Fowlmouth. First the coin must be dug in the state of Wisconsin between January 1st and October 31st. It has to be legally dug and posted on this Forum. Pictures must show the date if possible. No seeded hunt coins are allowed. It is a contest that your honor and word is trusted. IDX has the final word and is the only judge. Hope this helps. Trapper

Yep I am in Wisconsin , just north of Green Bay. Thanks for the information and this sounds like a fun contest.

I had the privilege to hunt on a invite with Kevin (IDX Monster) this last Saturday. The hunt was great and the site has a lot of possibilities but the reason for this post is because the hunt was one that took the wind out of me. During a bit of break we sat down talking and eating our lunch. At that time he reached across the table with his hand down cupping something. I reached out and he dropped the item into my hand and then told me it was my prize for winning the oldest coin find for 2018. This contest for the Wisconsin's oldest coin is special and put on by Kevin to add a bit of excitement and to add some challenge to the hunts. Maybe to get some of the many Wisconsin hunters to enter their finds through the posts on this forum. He alone has provided the prizes and I for one am very thankful. Trapper

Congratulations to you Trapper AND WTG IDX, that is an AWESOME gesture on your part. YOU DA MAN !!!!!!!!!

IDX, thanks for doing this for us Wisconsinites. I know this will not win but I thought I would be the 1st entry to get this competition started. Did you ever detect that old school I told you about up in your part of the state?

Attachments

• IMG_4441.jpg
    IMG_4441.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 868
This is big ! This is real big!
Congradulations Trap on 2018 . What a beutiful prize for the legend. 👍
Love it .

Thanks for the invite ..Not! 😎
Probubly some big swanky heavy hitters only event .🤔
Your a class act Kev . Love it !

Looks like there is a very. Nice old Indian on the board already .

Woo hooo it's on like donkey kong !
,Dew

Congratulations to you Trapper AND WTG IDX, that is an AWESOME gesture on your part. YOU DA MAN !!!!!!!!!

It was tough Jerry,finding something for a guy who has everything...literally. Brad was the genius behind the idea,then it took me AWHILE to cough up that coin. They’re just not around to even buy. And I didn’t want to risk an Internet buy like that,I had to look at it in person.
Every year the contest awards go to a good cause,and that is to get people into a slightly different mindset about WHERE they are hunting,and WHY. It’s the same progression I went through,and I’m glad I did....I. might still be scooping clad at the local Park from the 80s for cripes sake! Not that there’s anything “wrong” with that...it just ain’t gonna win the contest!;)

Oh you can David. All you have to do is FIND the coin in Wisconsin...you don’t have to live here! Road trip!:yes:

Guess that means i only have to drive west just over a hour then . Can you tell me what park along the state line that you aand trapper haven't been to yet ? Oh ya i only want the ones with gold :laughing::laughing:

It was tough Jerry,finding something for a guy who has everything...literally. Brad was the genius behind the idea,then it took me AWHILE to cough up that coin. They’re just not around to even buy. And I didn’t want to risk an Internet buy like that,I had to look at it in person.
Every year the contest awards go to a good cause,and that is to get people into a slightly different mindset about WHERE they are hunting,and WHY. It’s the same progression I went through,and I’m glad I did....I. might still be scooping clad at the local Park from the 80s for cripes sake! Not that there’s anything “wrong” with that...it just ain’t gonna win the contest!;)

Heck I am looking for property in Wisconsin so I can get in the contest. LOL !!!

Guess that means i only have to drive west just over a hour then . Can you tell me what park along the state line that you aand trapper haven't been to yet ? Oh ya i only want the ones with gold :laughing::laughing:

We haven’t been that far up Yoop! Come on over and play the game! The Groundhog came up with a STUPENDOUS find basically right in the middle of Wisconsin to take 2017,so it is possible! It might not be gold,but it’s possible!:yes:

IDX, thanks for doing this for us Wisconsinites. I know this will not win but I thought I would be the 1st entry to get this competition started. Did you ever detect that old school I told you about up in your part of the state?

I was all ready to post my 1920 wheat penny until you burst my bubble. :(
Good one to kick it off with...1882 is tough to beat in my neck of the woods.

Back
Top Bottom