Predator shovels

longbow62

Forum Supporter
Can't make up my mind on which relic shovel. I have used the Barracuda and I like it a lot. It has 9" blade length. The Piranha and Ranger both have 11" long blades and show to weigh 5-6 ounces more than the Barracuda. Just can't decide if a 11" blade is worth the extra weight and if more 9" depth is really needed. I have tough clay ground.

I have a Lesche Ground Shark and hate it. The GS does not cut very good plugs. Blade is to round and narrow. It needs serrations on both side of blade instead of just one side. It's well made and very tough, but the blade is just not for me.

The Ground Shark was my worst shovel buy ever. I still own one of them. My guess is that the 11" blade you ponder concerning added weight...the ground shark is kind of a boat anchor. If the weight of the GS wasn't a prime reason against it for you...I'd just go for the 11 inch'r. jm2c

I never really paid much attention to the weight of the GS. It weighs slightly less than the other two Predator shovels I am contemplating. The Ranger does have a D handle so it could be more comfortable to carry.

I never really paid much attention to the weight of the GS. It weighs slightly less than the other two Predator shovels I am contemplating. The Ranger does have a D handle so it could be more comfortable to carry.

Whites has a shovel about half the price of one you said you enjoyed. Personally, I don't relic hunt on purpose so I would immediately suggest the 31" Sampson T-handle.

IMO though...literal weight still seems insignificant to your decision.

Back
Top Bottom