Bit Bosses

klober

How I can get some help. I recently acquired 2 bit bosses like the one on the right in the picture. I have been trying to research this type and keep finding info on the left type. I have found others who have dug these and have also been told they are reproductions. Clearly two different types of bit bosses.
Thanks

Attachments

• US[1].jpg
    US[1].jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 510
At least one of them is an 1859 Union Bridle Bit Boss! Don't know about other. Might need close photos of front and rear of each for other experts to tell. Were there multiple different manufacturers? Were there other similar US bit bosses on other models or items?

I read that they were designed right before the beginning of the war because they thought they would have a lot of rookie drafted or volunteer cavalrymen, and discontinued use because these were harsh on the horses. I found one in a union camp in MS. I know mine is the real deal.

A friend of my father-in-laws has an entire one he found in an old barn back in the 1950s. I hope to go see it soon.

Here is mine and a pic of the entire harness from web.

Clark

Attachments

• 12748_483653074999972_1134309300_n.jpg
    12748_483653074999972_1134309300_n.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 476
  • 646538_2_l.jpg
    646538_2_l.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 515
Commom

Thanks, yours is the type that are more common and the most information on. Can not find any info for the type on the right.

Hi...
The bit boss on the left of your photo is legit.

the boss on the right is a fake/repro. They're often found, in pairs, attached to cardboard backing with poorly typed "descriptions". I've heard that a BUNCH of them came out of India a few years back and they're still circulating today.

The original/legit bosses always have SHARP letters and cross-hatching in the background...as well as sharp holes...never flared, wide holes.

The fakes have "muddy" letters and often no cross-hatching at all. And the holes on the fakes, as on this one, are flared.

I also understand the fake bosses/medallions won't fit a legit model 1859 US Federal bit (but I've never tried).

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom