Lead sinkers!

I think this whole groundwater environmental lead thing is overblown. I think it falls into a category like Tom_in_CA's MD reg violation arrests, a rare occurrence. I doubt that there are many, if any, cases of lead toxicity issues from groundwater harming people and few cases of wildlife toxicity issues. We aren't talking ghetto kids eating lead paint peelings here. I suggest that this is an oblique environmental attack on the Second Amendment (RKBA) and gun culture by attacking ammunition.

I think this whole groundwater environmental lead thing is overblown. I think it falls into a category like Tom_in_CA's MD reg violation arrests, a rare occurrence. I doubt that there are many, if any, cases of lead toxicity issues from groundwater harming people and few cases of wildlife toxicity issues. We aren't talking ghetto kids eating lead paint peelings here. I suggest that this is an oblique environmental attack on the Second Amendment (RKBA) and gun culture by attacking ammunition.
This has been around longer than the gun control thing. It started with the environmental leftists trying to stop hunting. In areas that have a high amount of waterfowl hunting that may be a real concern due to the amount of pellets laying on the bottom in the muck that the birds sift through to get food but those places are few. Now it's just another issue for the greenies to rally about.

Cliff

This has been around longer than the gun control thing. It started with the environmental leftists trying to stop hunting. In areas that have a high amount of waterfowl hunting that may be a real concern due to the amount of pellets laying on the bottom in the muck that the birds sift through to get food but those places are few. Now it's just another issue for the greenies to rally about.

Cliff

I think one of the first Congressional assaults on RKBA was the Gun Control Act of 1968. Gun control has been an agenda item for the Marxists for quite a while. Arguments could even be made for things like banning silencers, sawed off shotguns and even Tommy guns (full auto). Earth Day was first held in 1970.

I think one of the first Congressional assaults on RKBA was the Gun Control Act of 1968. Gun control has been an agenda item for the Marxists for quite a while. Arguments could even be made for things like banning silencers, sawed off shotguns and even Tommy guns (full auto). Earth Day was first held in 1970.

I was talking about trying to ban lead without the direct intention to ban guns with them. Heard of steel shot for waterfowl?

Cliff

Problem..scrap yard won't take fishing weights, no buyer😐
Kinda true. Where I go for my cans and bottles , I also took about 80lbs of sinkers last year. My research then was to expect about 80c -$1 a pound. I was hoping for half that. When they offered me 2c a pound , I was not a happy camper. So I been selling and giving them to fishing buddies.

I was talking about trying to ban lead without the direct intention to ban guns with them. Heard of steel shot for waterfowl?

Cliff

Yes, I have heard of steel shot. It has been in use for decades. Other substitutes for lead shot are tungsten and bismuth. Lead shot has been banned for migratory waterfowl since 1991 in the USA. I doubt that it still constitutes a serious environmental threat to waterfowl and other aquatic wildlife.

lead never was a problem for waterfowl,the eco freaks wanted to ban lead because of eagles eating unrecovered ducks that had been killed and the eagles ingested the lead from the dead ducks,killing the eagles by lead poisoning,understand that the dead ducks were killed not by ingesting lead shot but by hunters who for whatever reason couldn,t find them for retrieval.Nobody but duck hunters gave a fig about the ducks but lots of people like eagles so that,s the hook they used to ban lead shot for waterfowl.Statiscally the number of eagles killed by lead poisoning was very small.

Or I could meet some of those fishermen at my beach and do some selling there! :lol:

Josh

I think my love for MD came from hunting for golf balls and selling them back to the golfers when I was your age. $0.50 a piece or three for $1.00 (for brand new-looking balls). I’d sell $5.00 worth, ride my bike to the Boardwalk, blow it on pinball, and then do it again the next day.

Today, if I saw a younger me doing that, I’d tell my younger self to save 20%, invest 20% in physical silver or gold, and then do what you want with the rest. At your age you could very easily do the same with your lead weights.

But that’s just me, Mister Vegas…

:cool3:

R5

I think my love for MD came from hunting for golf balls and selling them back to the golfers when I was your age. $0.50 a piece or three for $1.00 (for brand new-looking balls). I’d sell $5.00 worth, ride my bike to the Boardwalk, blow it on pinball, and then do it again the next day.

Today, if I saw a younger me doing that, I’d tell my younger self to save 20%, invest 20% in physical silver or gold, and then do what you want with the rest. At your age you could very easily do the same with your lead weights.

But that’s just me, Mister Vegas…

:cool3:

R5

I invest in stocks (100% of my Christmas money...) so my lead selling is gonna be my free money! :lol:

Josh

lead never was a problem for waterfowl,the eco freaks wanted to ban lead because of eagles eating unrecovered ducks that had been killed and the eagles ingested the lead from the dead ducks,killing the eagles by lead poisoning,understand that the dead ducks were killed not by ingesting lead shot but by hunters who for whatever reason couldn,t find them for retrieval.Nobody but duck hunters gave a fig about the ducks but lots of people like eagles so that,s the hook they used to ban lead shot for waterfowl.Statiscally the number of eagles killed by lead poisoning was very small.

But it is OK to whack raptors with environmentally sound, renewable energy, subsidized wind turbines, the original raptor food processor.:?::?: Go figure!

You are in the wrong part of the country I guess. They don't have a problem buying it here. I don't know what the current price is though.

Cliff

I wonder if any MDers are approaching or even talking to the tackle shops to sell their "value added" custom cast sinkers? Nowadays, much lead is utilized in preassembled bottom fishing rigs, jig heads, plated vertical jigging lures, etc. I have occasion to visit sundry tackle/marine supply shops and they have bulk bins of sundry sizes and configurations of sinkers and it strikes me that they are expensive. The marine deep sea fishing community uses some really BIG weights and heavy stainless wire leaders when trolling for tuna, billfish, mahi mahi, wahoo and such. I suppose the Great Lakes fishermen would also need some serious weight for their sport as well. I guess this calls for some market research. It wouldn't take many big cigar weights to smoke up 80 lbs. of lead for that bunch.

I wonder if any MDers are approaching or even talking to the tackle shops to sell their "value added" custom cast sinkers? Nowadays, much lead is utilized in preassembled bottom fishing rigs, jig heads, plated vertical jigging lures, etc. I have occasion to visit sundry tackle/marine supply shops and they have bulk bins of sundry sizes and configurations of sinkers and it strikes me that they are expensive. The marine deep sea fishing community uses some really BIG weights and heavy stainless wire leaders when trolling for tuna, billfish, mahi mahi, wahoo and such. I suppose the Great Lakes fishermen would also need some serious weight for their sport as well. I guess this calls for some market research. It wouldn't take many big cigar weights to smoke up 80 lbs. of lead for that bunch.
When I was offshore fishing we used a lot of 2-6 oz sinkers. That was in the 80's and they were expensive then. I bought a mold and got some wheel weights donated and made my own out in the yard. It was something to do while drinking beer and all it cost was a bit of propane. In one evening we could produce 50# or more. I kept myself and a couple others supplied.

Cliff

When I was offshore fishing we used a lot of 2-6 oz sinkers. That was in the 80's and they were expensive then. I bought a mold and got some wheel weights donated and made my own out in the yard. It was something to do while drinking beer and all it cost was a bit of propane. In one evening we could produce 50# or more. I kept myself and a couple others supplied.

Cliff

Now that sounds like a pleasant evening! Throw in a bushel of blue crabs or a pot of crawdads and invite good friends. Fun!

Now that sounds like a pleasant evening! Throw in a bushel of blue crabs or a pot of crawdads and invite good friends. Fun!
We did that a few times. [emoji1] It was nice doing it in the early winter. Cool enough for a light jacket so no mosquitoes, no sweating, etc. It doesn't take long to make a bunch.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom