Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 09-19-2018, 06:03 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Chipk View post
In the movies you often see somebody whip out a knife and rapidly with one hand open it. Most often those are Spyderco knives and I have a good sized collection of them. They are made to be opened with your thumb, they are lightweight, strong and amazingly sharp.

This is the one I carry. Itís 7 inches long (closed) and if I ever have to defend myself, itís the one I want in my hand!

Itís also quite effective in making sandwiches too !

I also use a Lesche Sampson digger and carry the smaller Lesche as well. Occasionally I have them professionally sharpened. Just in case.
is that a catcherman?

Old 09-19-2018, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by needler420 View post
is that a catcherman?

Yea the knife he posted is a catcherman.

I own the sprint run version and itís one my favorite knives

Old 09-19-2018, 08:48 AM
Supporter

Not an EDC, but I just purchased this online fro Sierra Trading. Not that I needed it, but it's a bit unusual for a machete and may prove useful. The price was not bad either.

Name:  camillus-titanium-bonded-carnivore-machete-partially-serrated-blade-in-camo~p~473ym_02~1500.2.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  19.1 KBhttps://i.stpost.com/camillus-titanium-bonded-carnivore-machete-partially-serrated-blade-in-camo~p~473ym_02~1500.2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-19-2018, 10:03 AM
Elite Member

i have been through many many knives. Been carrying one since I was a kid. From buck, to kershaw, to swiss army, i've used all types. I demand ALOT of my knife, have broken many, have lost many. For the past 5 years I have stuck with my benchmade griptilian. Simply some of the best knives money can buy. Designed so well I haven't lost it or broke it. probably will never buy another brand of folding knife again.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
I carry a Leatherman Wave everyday.
Same here - itís been my edc for about a decade and a half, at work, play, and everything in between. Itís nothing fancy, but extremely versatile and small enough to be discrete and unobtrusive. I feel absolutely naked whenever Iím forced to leave it behind - commercial airline flights, concerts, etc are all a no go. My last trip to Cedar Point with my daughter, I was asked to take it off at the entrance, too...pretty silly.

Oldest coin: 1853 Braided Hair Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1861 Seated Liberty Dime
Oldest foreign coin: 1859 Canadian Queen Victoria Large Cent

Old 09-20-2018, 04:22 PM

I always carry a pocket knife, but it is just a small buck with a plastic handle. I can't imagine not having a knife with me, if just to clean my nails when I get dirt under them. I'm always using it for something. It is light weight and if fits in the watch pocket of my jeans. Hardly a self defense weapon though. I also carry a swiss army climber when I'm out doing something like metal detecting or working. I don't carry it all the time though. But the swiss army knife isn't much of a weapon either. It is just handy.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by flyguy784 View post
Never without a knife. You know, a knife is a funny thing. Most people don't carry one. However, when you do, you don't know what you did before you had one. All the sudden you're using it every day.
I'm old School------------Knife in RF pocket-----------Change in LF pocket------Handkerchief in RR pocket and Wallet in LR pocket. Pen or Pencil in L shirt pocket.
As I got older a couple of things changed---------.38 Airweight in RF-----Knife replaced by a Multi-tool in RR pocket with handkerchief.
Marvin

Old 09-20-2018, 08:47 PM
Supporter

Rule #1: Always carry a knife.

That's been my motto all my life. I usually have a 4" blade clipped in my pocket. When I was younger I used to carry a huge bowie knife concealed under my shirt.

Custom AT Pro w/Remote PP & NEL Snake 3.5x6.5 Coil

Old 09-20-2018, 08:56 PM
Supporter

Just my Lesche, itís a big knife.

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Old 09-21-2018, 02:40 AM
Elite Member

I EDC a Leatherman Rev.... cheap, and gets the job done. Only thing I wish it had was a small saw.

I used to carry that cheap knife you used to be able to get with a md purchase from Kellyco because if I lost or broke it I wouldn't care. Only thing I used it for on a daily basis was cutting up boxes. Then one day, I dropped it on the ground and the locking mechanism just broke. After that moved onto a slightly nicer pocket knife until I lost it, and now the Leatherman.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Elite Member

A Leatherman and a S&W 380 here.

Colossians 3:23 - YTD Clad: $59.69
Significant Finds - '40, '50, '51, '52, '55 & '57 Wheats
Oldest coin - 1940 Wheat

Old 09-22-2018, 05:47 PM

Default I have a 30 in predator

Originally Posted by TeamMendoboys View post
A fourty inch ground shark shovel. Sometimes in parks when I can spot guys watching me, am I alert, curious about my equipment and what it may be worth. I worked in a prison in California for almost 20 years and you get to know when someone is sizing you up. My ground shark hanging on my shoulder just looks ď nastyĒ, its easy to maneuver and has a long thin blade, one side serrated. It is also great for going after deep targets .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
i keep it sharp using my old electric dual craftsman grinding wheel. But in east, west and south Atlanta where the truly old parks are located you need to carry a 9 mm or even that wouldn't be good enough because the ghetto freaks are very well armed. I just stay out of those areas. Way, way too dangerous. There is little in the woods that I am afraid of, but watch the evening news in Atlanta every night and find out what life is worth in the ghetto. Not much.