Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 09-16-2018, 10:39 AM

Default White's Goldmaster V/Sat

I just bought a White's Goldmaster V/Sat detector, it's in great shape and after putting fresh batteries in it tried to figure out how to get it set up. I have and use a White's MXT but this older analog detector is quite different. Does anyone have one of these that can guide me into how to set it up? If I can just set it up in a neutral position, I think I can make the minor adjustments to the area in detecting. I've downloaded the owner's manual but no info on usage settings, it just describes what each button and switch does. Any help will be appreciated, I'm really looking forward to using this detector.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:16 AM
Supporter

I used to run a Goldmaster, but A) I didn't know that much about it, and B) I remember even less. I do remember that ground balancing is important. I also remember the sweet "zip zip" sound over small bullets. Never did find any nuggets with it. I think there's a book or three about that line of machines by Jimmy "Sierra" Normandi. That's my recommendation.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:43 AM
Elite Member

VSAT...variable self adjusting threshold. Determines how fast the machine “tunes out” the ground,or even a target if you let it sit still long enough. In the world of COIN hunting,useful for deeper targets. GOLD hunting? Sorry,can’t say...

Old 09-19-2018, 09:30 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by IDXMonster View post
VSAT...variable self adjusting threshold. Determines how fast the machine “tunes out” the ground,or even a target if you let it sit still long enough. In the world of COIN hunting,useful for deeper targets. GOLD hunting? Sorry,can’t say...
Not to be confused with, but similar to auto ground tracking; VSAT keeps the threshold hum steady when moving the coil over varying ground conditions. You want to keep a steady threshold going, so you can hear the faint changes when your coil swings over tiny or deep nuggets. Those GoldMasters are great machines for nugget hunting. Not bad for beach sweeping either.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:14 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
Not to be confused with, but similar to auto ground tracking; VSAT keeps the threshold hum steady when moving the coil over varying ground conditions. You want to keep a steady threshold going, so you can hear the faint changes when your coil swings over tiny or deep nuggets. Those GoldMasters are great machines for nugget hunting. Not bad for beach sweeping either.
Well put Foragist,that’s a great description.