Looking for Relics at Civil War Site

KYshooter

Elite Member
I tried to find evidence of the battle at Canton, Kentucky. I described the area in a previous thread. I hunted the top of the bluffs south of the modern-day bridge.

But I couldn't really find anything. It turns out that some genius bull-dozed the entire place in the 1970's. I'm told that there were several Indian mounds on that side that were simply pushed over the bluff into the lake. Unbelievable.

But I did find this awesome chain at about 5 inches in depth. It is 56 inches in total length, and the links are pretty large (see the penny and dime I found as a reference). Here's a picture:
picture.php

One link in the chain is different. It has a pivot point. Here's a close-up:
picture.php

I don't know if it is Civil War era, or what it was used for. I tend to think it has something to do with a wagon and a team. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Geoff
Kentucky Coinshooter

Too bad about the bulldozer:( Maybe grid the area and hit it some more,you might find the 'sweet spot', gotta be some goods there somewhere!! Good luck!!!

Too bad about the bulldozer:( Maybe grid the area and hit it some more,you might find the 'sweet spot', gotta be some goods there somewhere!! Good luck!!!

IDK - It's pretty worked over. All "new" vegetation. And Corps of Engineers won't let you hunt along the waterline.:mad:

Geoff
Kentucky Coinshooter

Back
Top Bottom