• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Advice & recommendations requested for new detector

lamarkeiko

I'm in the market to purchase a new metal detector. First some background on what I have now and what my interests are.

The detector I have now is the only one I have ever had. It's a Garrett ADS III VLF/TR discriminator that I purchased about 36 years ago. I think it was fairly state of the art at that time, but I'm sure they've gotten much better since then. This detector is still in good working order as far as I can tell. It hasn't had much use in thirty years. I was working raising a family without a lot of time to spend on my own metal detecting back then.

I am interested in a detector for coin/relic hunting, but also one that could be used for gold nugget prospecting. Where I live now in Oregon, I just happen to be in walking distance of a mostly dry creek bed on BLM property that was mined many years ago and much gold had been found.

I have been doing some researching on some mid level detectors that sounded like they could be what I'm looking for and would appreciate input.

Fisher F70 with 5" and 11" coils and bonus pack for $499.95
Fisher F75 Special Limited Edition w/ 5" & 11" coils and bonus pack for $699
Teknetics T2 Special Limited Edition w/ 5" & 11" coils and bonus pack for $599

How do these detectors compare in ability in what I have now and do you think they may fit my needs.

Thanks for any help
Lamar

Attachments

• 20190115_105534.jpg
    20190115_105534.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 477
I think the Fisher detectors can find gold if its a fairly decent size as most other detectors will that have ground balance.
Have you considered fisher gold bug?
There are Minelab gold machines too.
Also Tesoro Lobo
Garrett has some gold machines too.
Used may be the way to go!

Check out some videos on the Equinox 800. Good on coins. Water proof to 10 feet. Gold mode. Lots of great people on here to help with any questions on any detectors. Welcome to the forum from Michigan's upper peninsula.

Of the three you stated I would go with the f75 LTD. It's pretty much equal to the t2 SE just has a few extra features. It runs at 13 khz. With the t2 I have found pretty deep gold jewelry they are great relic machines can separate iron from good targets. My only issue with the t2 is the control box feels real flimsy on the shaft. Like stated above the nox is a really good machine for what you're looking to do. I use the Minelab Safari as well and it is great for mineralized areas just like the nox should be. This is great for Beach hunting and areas highly mineralized. That is real helpful if you plan to go for raw gold.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Check out some videos on the Equinox 800. Good on coins. Water proof to 10 feet. Gold mode. Lots of great people on here to help with any questions on any detectors. Welcome to the forum from Michigan's upper peninsula.
The Equinox 800 is $900.00, which is not a mid-priced detector. You can get an AT Gold for $650.00, which should be good for all your hunting interests.

If you are a veteran, your DD214 will get you 15% off the price of an Equinox 800. It will meet your criteria for all your hunting. Gerry in Boise has all the details.

Thanks a lot guys for your replies back. I really appreciate your feedback.
I did do some research on the Equinox 800, and from what I read, that detector sounds like the cream of the crop for what I want. The only thing is, it is in a little higher price category than the others.

Wasatchau, I am a Navy veteran and do have my DD214. Could you give me a little more information on Gerry in Boise for contact info.

I'll look into the AT Gold detector a little more. I see a price of that detector with bonus bundle at $637. Would that detector be able to detect small nuggets?

Lamar

Thanks a lot guys for your replies back. I really appreciate your feedback.
I did do some research on the Equinox 800, and from what I read, that detector sounds like the cream of the crop for what I want. The only thing is, it is in a little higher price category than the others.

Wasatchau, I am a Navy veteran and do have my DD214. Could you give me a little more information on Gerry in Boise for contact info.

I'll look into the AT Gold detector a little more. I see a price of that detector with bonus bundle at $637. Would that detector be able to detect small nuggets?

Lamar

AF Vet here, I called a few of the sponsors here and they all honor the 15% discount

One thing I want to mention. I am somewhat hearing impaired. My high frequency hearing is pretty much gone. Is that something I should be taking into consideration when choosing a detector?

I'm in the market to purchase a new metal detector. First some background on what I have now and what my interests are.

The detector I have now is the only one I have ever had. It's a Garrett ADS III VLF/TR discriminator that I purchased about 36 years ago. I think it was fairly state of the art at that time, but I'm sure they've gotten much better since then. This detector is still in good working order as far as I can tell. It hasn't had much use in thirty years. I was working raising a family without a lot of time to spend on my own metal detecting back then.

I am interested in a detector for coin/relic hunting, but also one that could be used for gold nugget prospecting. Where I live now in Oregon, I just happen to be in walking distance of a mostly dry creek bed on BLM property that was mined many years ago and much gold had been found.

I have been doing some researching on some mid level detectors that sounded like they could be what I'm looking for and would appreciate input.

Fisher F70 with 5" and 11" coils and bonus pack for $499.95
Fisher F75 Special Limited Edition w/ 5" & 11" coils and bonus pack for $699
Teknetics T2 Special Limited Edition w/ 5" & 11" coils and bonus pack for $599

How do these detectors compare in ability in what I have now and do you think they may fit my needs.

Thanks for any help
Lamar

One detector I would consider is a X TERRA 705 made by minelab It is a detector that can do everything you are wanting its a good coin machine and also has a great prospecting mode can run three different frequencies but you have to change coils to do that it will run 3 KHz,7.5 KHz, and 18.75 KHz it can be purchased in a dual pack which come with a 9 inch 7.5 KHz coil and also comes with a 5x10 18.75 KHz coil which is a great coil for hunting gold nuggets and it can be purchased well with in the prices you stated in a couple of the machines you listed

Agree.
The 705 is my go to detector. I believe it's a lot better than the ATs but not waterproof. I also like my Makro multi kruzer. Most people like the nox 600 and 800 too.

Thanks on the info on the X Terra 705. I haven't looked in to that one yet. I don't think water proof will be an issue with me. I had been looking at the Makro Multi Kruser also with the 3 different frequencies, and it sounded like it may be a good detector for all purpose.

I've been looking at the X-Terra 705 packages, Nox 800 and Makro Multi Kruser at Big Boys Hobbies. They did say they would give a 15% discount on detector alone. From what I can figure, the best deals are the Nox 800 or the Makro Multi Kruser at a little less money.
I think I may still need to get the Nox 6" or the Kruser 5" coil for small gold nugget hunting. The Kruser coil is $60 cheaper. What do you all think of my assessments and what would you recommend?
Lamar

I've been looking at the X-Terra 705 packages, Nox 800 and Makro Multi Kruser at Big Boys Hobbies. They did say they would give a 15% discount on detector alone. From what I can figure, the best deals are the Nox 800 or the Makro Multi Kruser at a little less money.
I think I may still need to get the Nox 6" or the Kruser 5" coil for small gold nugget hunting. The Kruser coil is $60 cheaper. What do you all think of my assessments and what would you recommend?
Lamar

the only machine I can comment on is the 705 but with that being said if I was just starting out I would go with the Equinox 800 simply for me it is because I am accustomed to minelab tones and settings

There are quite a few people using the nox 800 having good success using it prospecting I have never even seen one in use but have read quite a few things good about it in my opinion because of the higher frequency the nox 800 can run it would give you a better shot at finding small gold which is what you find the most of when nugget detecting which the higher the frequency the better higher frequency is for detecting small gold.

I currently use a Mine Lab GM 1000 better known as the Gold Monster because it runs at 45 KHz but it is specifically built for detecting gold even though I have detected coins with it because common clad will ring in on the GM 1000 as non ferrous if you were just looking for a detector for just hunting gold only the GM 1000 is the one I would suggest but you stated you wanted an all around machine
I will tell you the GM 1000 bangs really hard on non ferrous targets I:E (Gold,Aluminum,Brass,Lead and common Clad coins) the difference is if you get the coil over a gold nugget the tone that sounds off on the GM 1000 will be a subtle low tone, bullet casing, pieces of aluminum,lead bullets or clad coins will be a more booming sound on the GM 1000 I have dug some lead bullets and casings down to around 10-12 inches using the GM 1000 and some what I consider deep gold nuggets down to 4-6 inches I am sure though if I got over a deeper nugget the GM 1000 would see it if it were not to deep or to small which I have not really figured out what to small is yet for the GM 1000 as I have dug some targets that were pretty dang small

I will also say this I would check with a forum sponsor that deals in metal detectors on this site and see if they could give you a deal on what you are looking for.

if there are forum sponsors here that sell detectors,

but if not and I do not know if it would be appropriate or not pm me and I can give you a name of a person in Idaho to contact but I would first check with some sponsors here I am sure someone will let me know if it would be appropriate or not

Back
Top Bottom