Anyone Geocaching?

I got into geocaching 10 years or so ago. I enjoyed it for a while but grew bored with it.

I've found a few while dectecting and even downloaded a map of where they are at hoping I might find some remote locations where someone buried one in an old foundation or something. Just another idea that didn't pan out very well for places to detect. Then again I've not really researched it much beyond about 3-4 miles of my home. Has to be 200 caches just in that area. Most are just parks or right off the road.

Found one while detecting,
wrote my name in the note book with the date,
I exchanged two of my pennies for two dimes.:lol::lol:

I did for a while, even had my own cache. But have t done it in years. Thought about it but I work to much..

Like FIB, I also used to be in to it and got bored after awhile. I still hunt every now and then. I actually found one today while MDing an area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it happens, I'm the top ranking female Geocacher in Japan and I've found geocaches in 50 countries around the world. :D

Part of why I've recently gotten into metal detecting is that I live on a rather small island and I've found all of the geocaches near me. Making and publishing new geocaches is fun, but it can get expensive, as can traveling long distances to find outlying caches. So I figured- a nice addition to my digital treasure-hunting hobby would be actual treasure hunting. So far so good!

As it happens, I'm the top ranking female Geocacher in Japan and I've found geocaches in 50 countries around the world. :D

Part of why I've recently gotten into metal detecting is that I live on a rather small island and I've found all of the geocaches near me. Making and publishing new geocaches is fun, but it can get expensive, as can traveling long distances to find outlying caches. So I figured- a nice addition to my digital treasure-hunting hobby would be actual treasure hunting. So far so good!

Now Thats awesome! I knew it was a big Sport, with rabid afficianados such as yourself, skills and effort unto its own right, but I never gave it much thought to get active in searching for them......I accidentally found one though, a few years back, I was out detecting the High Dunes here in the early Spring....Way the Hell out in No Mans land and eyeballed what looked like a tacklebox half buried in the leaves......So I sat there on the Southern escarpment, opened it up, and read the entries in the GeoCache log book!...

It was very cool how many people had been here before me and located this GeoCache! From all over the Country! World even! I felt a kindred Spirit shared by Hinterland hunters and adventurers!... I had no idea 'Cachers are ranked according to their finds!

This Sport must feed your same interest/skillset to get out and track down Humans?...I can see that...tracking down treasure through the fog of Time is one cool thing!

FWIW, I wrote a nice little encouraging post in the GeoCache logbook Titled: "More Fun Than a Barrel of Monkeys!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yes, I got into geocaching about 12 years ago. I found a hundred or so caches, and I still have 3 Garmin handheld gps units, which I continue to use now and then, whenever an interesting cache pops up, close by home. It's really a fun activity which will definitely take you to some neat places, that otherwise, you would probably never see. I also have several geocaches, that I have placed myself, and I occasionally go out to service them with new logs, etc.

So, if you enjoy getting out and exploring, give it a try. Nothing to lose, but an afternoon of metal detecting, and heck, you might even find it just as enjoyable. One thing for sure, you will be completely blown away, when you discover just how many are actually located, very close to your home. It's really amazing. :yes:

Well yes, I got into geocaching about 12 years ago. I found a hundred or so caches, and I still have 3 Garmin handheld gps units, which I continue to use now and then, whenever an interesting cache pops up, close by home. It's really a fun activity which will definitely take you to some neat places, that otherwise, you would probably never see. I also have several geocaches, that I have placed myself, and I occasionally go out to service them with new logs, etc.

So, if you enjoy getting out and exploring, give it a try. Nothing to lose, but an afternoon of metal detecting, and heck, you might even find it just as enjoyable. One thing for sure, you will be completely blown away, when you discover just how many are actually located, very close to your home. It's really amazing. :yes:

I'd like to try geocaching....now to find a super cheap handheld gps.

Now Thats awesome! I knew it was a big Sport, with rabid afficianados such as yourself, skills and effort unto its own right, but I never gave it much thought to get active in searching for them......I accidentally found one though, a few years back, I was out detecting the High Dunes here in the early Spring....Way the Hell out in No Mans land and eyeballed what looked like a tacklebox half buried in the leaves......So I sat there on the Southern escarpment, opened it up, and read the entries in the GeoCache log book!...

It was very cool how many people had been here before me and located this GeoCache! From all over the Country! World even! I felt a kindred Spirit shared by Hinterland hunters and adventurers!... I had no idea 'Cachers are ranked according to their finds!

This Sport must feed your same interest/skillset to get out and track down Humans?...I can see that...tracking down treasure through the fog of Time is one cool thing!

FWIW, I wrote a nice little encouraging post in the GeoCache logbook Titled: "More Fun Than a Barrel of Monkeys!"

Haha, I'm only highly ranked because geocaching is still relatively unknown in Japan. A high percentage of Japanese cachers are expats like me. The local cacher population is growing though.

In Germany I would be considered practically a beginner. It's possibly more popular there than in the US. I was just on Japan's tiny southernmost island (Hateruma) last week finding the country's southernmost cache (of course we keep track of things like that) and, sure enough, its logbook showed that German geocachers had visited the day before! :lol: I'm surprised we didn't run into them. I've run into random German geocachers in more than a dozen other countries. They go everywhere. I think the best was running into some at a cache on the very northern coast of Norway-- they were guys I'd met a couple years before in Finland. Crazy!

It does give you a strong common bond with fellow cachers no matter where they're from. You accidentally meet while looking for the same cache and, doesn't matter if you don't speak the same language, you're instantly friends. While backpacking and caching I've been given lodging and transport from dozens people based solely on the fact that I was a fellow geocacher visiting their home territory.

Yeah, MDing and Caching definitely complement each other. Both require patience, persistence, planning, reasonably good weather, the willpower to get off the couch, and often a lot of luck. They also both make you look like a bit of a weirdo.

I feel like MDing is more under your own control-- you choose which locations you target and when and how you want to approach them. In geocaching you're kind of at the mercy of your fellow cache-hiders. I went looking for a maximum D/T (difficulty/terrain) geocache that was designed to re-create a US military jungle orienteering exercise. Spent a full day, dawn till dusk, traversing the wildest parts of Oki's jungle on foot. It was intense! But we found it in the end (shortly after finding some wild boar!)!

That's great that you wrote in the logbook! We kind of love it when muggles (non-geocachers, of course) do that and properly re-hide it. We don't love it when they take it home with them, or steal the geocoins out of it, or call the bomb-squad on it. All of which definitely happen.

I'd like to try geocaching....now to find a super cheap handheld gps.

When I started geocaching that's what I did, but now you really only need a smartphone with the geocaching app. Works nearly as well as a gps unit and makes the game accessible to maaaaany more people.

If you do get one of the really cheap handheld units you have to input geocache coordinates manually and either print out or write down the geocache information. I did that for my first 500 or so geocaches until a buddy of mine upgraded and gave me his older (but vastly better than mine) unit. Mid to high level units are able to download and store large amounts of cache data (not just location but difficulty, terrain, hints, logs, all of it).

Back
Top Bottom