Any Canadians here?

narrowroad

Hey all, I am from Manitoba Canada, I don't imagine I'll find anyone too close to me but I just wanted to see if there were any other Canadians frequenting this site??

Hi narrowroad, welcome to the forum. Yes, there are some Canadians here, but I'm not so sure they are in Manitoba.

We don't live too far from Manitoba, we're in South Dakota.

We were thinking of heading north this summer to see what Manitoba looks like.

Hi narrowroad, welcome to the forum. Yes, there are some Canadians here, but I'm not so sure they are in Manitoba.

We don't live too far from Manitoba, we're in South Dakota.

We were thinking of heading north this summer to see what Manitoba looks like.

Cool, Hope you find something interesting to see if you come up. Usually its the other way around, lots of people from here like to head down to the Dakotas to see the Badlands and a few of my friends have gone down to take take in the Sturgis Bike Rally (my friends are tamer than most you would associate with the rally though, lol)

We just missed the Sturgis Bike Rally last year. But we had a good time in the Black Hills, I would like to go back there again.

I don't know why, but I'm thinking the terrain in Manitoba is similar to North Dakota, true? How far north do you have to go to hit rivers and valleys and lakes and all that scenic stuff?

Yep, Badlands is on our hit list too.

We just missed the Sturgis Bike Rally last year. But we had a good time in the Black Hills, I would like to go back there again.

I don't know why, but I'm thinking the terrain in Manitoba is similar to North Dakota, true? How far north do you have to go to hit rivers and valleys and lakes and all that scenic stuff?

Yep, Badlands is on our hit list too.

Yea, for what I have seen of ND we are very similar, alot of crop land in the south and not much for rolling terrain or hills. The more north you go the more lakes and what not you find. The area I live in has a nice park called Asessippi for camping, fishing and all that, it is built on a dammed river (we are 4 hours north of Minot).
We are also close to a great tourist area at Clear Lake (although they don't allow MDing, which makes me just drool over how much stuff must be on their beach).
North of the Winnipeg area there is a very large beach called Grand Beach, I have always thought of making a trip there to MD, but I would imagine that if there are any MDers is Winnipeg they head up there quite often, so maybe it wouldnt be worth the 5 hour trip for me. Who knows, maybe someday I'll try it anyway.

That's what I suspected.

We have some friends in Surrey, BC and was thinking of traveling north to Manitoba, and then west to Victoria. Think it would be a good trip?

Hey Dan. Do you have any clubs out there in Ontario?

Yes there is, but I go solo. I had one fellow from the club give me a bit of a rough time on the local beach. He told me I needed a permit, and I could only get one if I joined their club. So I checked with the city and with a friend of mine who is a police officer, and neither one confirmed this story. My friend said that they have better things to do than harass people with metal detectors. He said the only time they would get involved was if you were trespassing on private property and someone complained. I think this fellow from the club was miffed that I was on "his" beach.

Dan

Yes there is, but I go solo. I had one fellow from the club give me a bit of a rough time on the local beach. He told me I needed a permit, and I could only get one if I joined their club. So I checked with the city and with a friend of mine who is a police officer, and neither one confirmed this story. My friend said that they have better things to do than harass people with metal detectors. He said the only time they would get involved was if you were trespassing on private property and someone complained. I think this fellow from the club was miffed that I was on "his" beach.

Dan

Wow, turf wars for MDers, who would have guessed. Thats pretty lame.

That's what I suspected.

We have some friends in Surrey, BC and was thinking of traveling north to Manitoba, and then west to Victoria. Think it would be a good trip?

Yea, I think thats a great way to see the countryside, it is pretty flat through Saskatchewan, although I myself am partial to the prairies (it is gorgeous here in the fall before the crops come down), and once you hit the mountains in Alberta and BC it is beautiful.

He told me I needed a permit, and I could only get one if I joined their club.

Wow, that's pretty nervey. (Is that a word? lol)

Since when do metal detecting clubs own the beaches?

I am Canadian, although I now reside in Georgia. I was originally from Sault Ste Marie, Ontario and moved south about 2 and 1/2 years ago. I much prefer the weather down here. Im working on my southern drawl y'all but I still frequently say eh!!!!:lol:

Any Canadians here

Hi...
Yup..another Canuk here.... South western Ontario here.....

Anyone else from around this area? Would be nice to find a buddy to share this hobby with.
Bill

Dan

Which club is it..I have heard of one up in Chatham...I too go solo...not sure if i would join a club.

I'm from New Brunswick, nice to see some fellow Canadians on here. I am only a "wannabe" detectorist at the moment, seeing that I don't have a MD as of yet. :(I hope to become a full fledged detectorist in the near future. :yes:

Best regards
Bruce

Back
Top Bottom