.50's at the park

UT_Dave

Fired pistol bullets at a city park isn't uncommon. But, finding three, fired, 600 gr., .50 caliber bullets at the park this morning was certainly a bit unusual.

thumbnail_IMG_0678.jpg

Also found a deep silver Rosie, $6 in folded paper money laying on the ground and a some clad. Good morning!

thumbnail_IMG_0679.jpg

- Dave

Congrats on the silver! Maybe there was a training ground there pre park? I've found 50 caliber shells and belt links out in Joshua Tree NP... just while hiking around.

Those .50 cal bullets are certainly a strange find. I found three spent .50 cal shells from 1944 and 1945 and I dig up other shells every so often.

Congrats on the silver! Maybe there was a training ground there pre park? I've found 50 caliber shells and belt links out in Joshua Tree NP... just while hiking around.

No, the history of this park is well documented. It's been a park, since long before the .50 BMG was invented. There was a Nat'l guard armory not far off, many years ago, but that seems pretty thin.

I wonder who's shooting .50s in a park??:?:

I don't live in that neighborhood anymore, but it's where I grew up and spent most of my life. Either gang bangers, or rednecks, is my guess. Growing up there, the rednecks were always likely to be much better armed than the gang bangers, and probably still are. So, I figure it is one of the two, but if I had to bet, my money is on a redneck with a toy he wanted to play with and too much beer one night.

- Dave

How was the signal on the bullets ? I've found a few pistol rounds with this E-600. Still trying to figure out this machine, nice finds tho.

How was the signal on the bullets ? I've found a few pistol rounds with this E-600. Still trying to figure out this machine, nice finds tho.

They hit a lot like stacked dimes. A really solid cross sweep high 20's lock. Definite dig me signal.

- Dave

I dig them up basically everywhere in the area I live. We had a WWII gunnery training base and they were fired in basically every direction planting them everywhere in a 15-20 mile radius. They read as a loud quarter signal on my M6. The one you show that was fired must have been fired a long way off since it doesn't appear mushroomed any.

Back
Top Bottom