New Mexico / Rio Rancho

XXJIMBOXX

Just checking in, i always get detecting fever around this time. Or is it the Covid kicken in? Nah no Covid here but have the hunting fever none the less. Any body want to hunt let me know....

Just checking in, i always get detecting fever around this time. Or is it the Covid kicken in? Nah no Covid here but have the hunting fever none the less. Any body want to hunt let me know....

XXJIMBOXX -

I'm new to the Santa Fe area and would like to go out detecting when the weather warms up a bit.

v/r

Haznavy

Rio Rancho? Just North of Albuquerque? I'm in Santa Fe. There USED to be a detectorists club in ABQ. I don't think they are around any more. There's nothing in Santa Fe.

What bugs ME about NM is the detector laws! You can't pick up anything older than fifty years! What? Stuff made before 1971 is historic?!! Yeesh!

Anyway, check to see if the NM detectors club is still around. I emailed them about five or six years ago and am still waiting for an answer. :D
Sage(Middle Of Nowhere)Grouse

..... What bugs ME about NM is the detector laws! You can't pick up anything older than fifty years! ....

Sage-grouse: Where are you getting this info ? :shrug:

I think you are confusing something you're reading about federal locations (ie.: ARPA), with "all land in NM" On the contrary : That would only apply to federal land. And has no bearing on state land, county land, city land, or private property.

Or maybe you're confusing something you read about NM state parks ? If so, then that only applies to NM state parks. NOT "all parks in NM".

And when it comes to federal land (Like NFS or BLM), in NM, there's no specific disallowance of md'ing. Oh sure, someone can morph ARPA to say you can't look for old stuff. But let's be dreadfully honest: That was meant to protect obvious historic sensitive monuments (which none of us here would object to. That's a noble concern). But seriously now, if you're in the middle of nowhere (lots of that in NM), then .... seriously ... is anyone out there, armed with a calculator, doing the math on the ages of coins you find ? :roll:

I've traveled through NM and had no shortage of places to hunt. And yes (gasp) found a few coins older than 50 yrs. old.

If you want to link me to something that says differently, I'd love to take a look at it. I have a sneaking suspicion of the origin and material you'd have to show.

Thanks, Tom!! I think you are right... it app,lies to federal land. WHEW!! I'm just itching to get back out there!
I'm going to have my second Coronavirus shot this coming Tuesday (16th) and then it'll be a while before the immunity is solid. Yes, I will still wear mask and gloves with other folks, and I'll have a mask with me at all times Just In Case. But ohhh not being as worried will be a blessing.
Today, March 13th is the 1 year anniversary of my and my Beloved's quarantine. Someone asked me "Do you want to live in fear?!" and I told them "I am a retired medical professional. I KNOW what this bug can do! If that's 'living in fear' yeah, you got it! I call it caution and common sense!"
Sage(smarter than the average bear)Grouse

Thanks, Tom!! I think you are right... it app,lies to federal land. WHEW!! I'm just itching to get back out there!...

You're welcome. However, the cost now is : You must send me 30% of all your finds. I accept paypal ! :cool3:

Guys, it sounds like there is some interest in getting back out there. I have 20 acres on top of Rowe Mesa with another 200 available to hunt. I'm new to the area and haven't done a ton of research but, I'm itching to get back out there. I too am a retired medical professional whose had both of his shots! If I don't get out soon, I'm going to go postal, no offense to our postal detectors of course.

I hunted in southern NM for 20 years and did very well...never had a problem with finding places to hunt. You have to think outside the box and look for the not so obvious places to hunt.

Guys, it sounds like there is some interest in getting back out there. I have 20 acres on top of Rowe Mesa with another 200 available to hunt. I'm new to the area and haven't done a ton of research but, I'm itching to get back out there. I too am a retired medical professional whose had both of his shots! If I don't get out soon, I'm going to go postal, no offense to our postal detectors of course.

You've had both shots? So've I! In fact, TODAY, Tuesday, will mark two weeks since shot #2. Which means I'm supposedly immune (95% protected).
I will still wear a mask, practice social distancing etc. But if you decide you want to get together, or make a trip to Rowe Mesa (not actually sure where that is) I can contribute toward gasoline. Send me a message and we can hash out a plan! :D
Sage(YES!!)Grouse

You've had both shots? So've I! In fact, TODAY, Tuesday, will mark two weeks since shot #2. Which means I'm supposedly immune (95% protected).
I will still wear a mask, practice social distancing etc. But if you decide you want to get together, or make a trip to Rowe Mesa (not actually sure where that is) I can contribute toward gasoline. Send me a message and we can hash out a plan! :D
Sage(YES!!)Grouse

SageGrouse,

Good evening. Yeah, I will still wear the mask as well considering the number of variants popping up.

Rowe Mesa is right off I-25N outside of Pecos, NM. GPS coordinates for our front gate are 35°17'25.70"N, 105°37'50.24"W to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Researching the history of the mesa. I just received permission to metal detect the trust land right outside our property ~ 800 acres and there is another 100 acres of BLM land attached to our subdivision. All told, I think I have access to almost 1,000 acres. Now will any of it be worth a !!!!, who knows.

Give the coordinates a look on Google Earth or whatever satellite image program you use and let me know if you'd be interested in coming up.

Quite a ways out, yes. I didn't find a satellite image paired with the map, so I couldn't get too much information on topography, old trails, rivers, building traces et cetera. Still, later when the weather is warmer (It's getting there) and things are a bit calmer, I'd be more than happy to check it out. You never know what you'll find, and you won't find anything unless you get that coil over it! :D

Let's keep in touch!
Sage(rarin to go)Grouse

SageGrouse,

I went out for a couple hours the other day and found tons of old iron, including some old horse shoes, but that's about it. I'm researching but not finding too much for the area. Let me know.

Hi all im still around i had a serious back injury a while back but am feeling alot better. I always start getting that hunting itch when the weather starts cooling down. Happy hunting all.

Hi Mr. Smith

A fellow Rio Rancho hunter huh, cool yeah ive been wanting to get out and start hunting again. Unfortunately i work all week and its usually from dusk to dawn, but im definitely interested in weekend hunting i have every Sat and Sun off. If that sounds good maybe we can meet up sometime. I read You picked up an equinox? Very cool ive been eyeing them our dirt out here is very tough to get deep readings on i heard the multiple frequencies will allow to get extra depth. Jimbo...

Back
Top Bottom