• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Big surf and storm coming.

Just gotta wait for a low tide weekend now!
Show me the rings and coins!!!!:stars::yay::workforgold::mder:

Are you talking about the swell slated to hit CA ? Ie.: this one:

https://magicseaweed.com/Moss-Landing-Surf-Report/259/

(that happens to be centered @ Moss Landing, CA, but you can move it around to different coastal points)

If so, yes, it's slated to hit CA @ late Sunday PM and into Monday. With another slight "bump" on Thursday.

However, the Monday higher swell time is, ... unfortunately ... arriving on a wimpy high tide day. It's better when it arrives @ the times of month when the high tides are higher. So as to allow the waves to beat up back-further higher into the dunes. Instead of just crashing around @ the normal inter-tidal wet packed zone.

The "bump" coming on Thursday does arrive at a better high tide time. But alas, swell heights not as big.

Also note that the entire series of swell trains are from the NW. So it will be harder to affect So. CA beaches, which get sheltered by Pt. Concepcion/Santa Barbara area. You guys need S to SW, eh ?

I'd still get out and try though, starting Monday PM's when the tide has pulled out enough. And again @ Thurs. PM.

Where I'm at in CA, any beaches that get the right direction from NW, is going to be beaches like Marina & Seaside (towards Monterey). But those are simply acclimated to such events. So they tend to need longer duration (ie.: day upon day, not just a single day) and higher tides, and 15 ft. or better. None of which seems to be coinciding ingredients for the days/times/tide heights of this arriving event.

I'm still gonna try it though :cool: Good luck to you So. CA guys. (send me 30%, as always :realitycheck: )

Are you talking about the swell slated to hit CA ? Ie.: this one:

https://magicseaweed.com/Moss-Landing-Surf-Report/259/

(that happens to be centered @ Moss Landing, CA, but you can move it around to different coastal points)

If so, yes, it's slated to hit CA @ late Sunday PM and into Monday. With another slight "bump" on Thursday.

However, the Monday higher swell time is, ... unfortunately ... arriving on a wimpy high tide day. It's better when it arrives @ the times of month when the high tides are higher. So as to allow the waves to beat up back-further higher into the dunes. Instead of just crashing around @ the normal inter-tidal wet packed zone.

The "bump" coming on Thursday does arrive at a better high tide time. But alas, swell heights not as big.

Also note that the entire series of swell trains are from the NW. So it will be harder to affect So. CA beaches, which get sheltered by Pt. Concepcion/Santa Barbara area. You guys need S to SW, eh ?

I'd still get out and try though, starting Monday PM's when the tide has pulled out enough. And again @ Thurs. PM.

Where I'm at in CA, any beaches that get the right direction from NW, is going to be beaches like Marina & Seaside (towards Monterey). But those are simply acclimated to such events. So they tend to need longer duration (ie.: day upon day, not just a single day) and higher tides, and 15 ft. or better. None of which seems to be coinciding ingredients for the days/times/tide heights of this arriving event.

I'm still gonna try it though :cool: Good luck to you So. CA guys. (send me 30%, as always :realitycheck: )

They said on the radio 25 to 40 foot waves on the coast so I will take whatever comes:yes:
I just want the sand at one beach to go bye bye!:yes:

They said on the radio 25 to 40 foot waves on the coast so I will take whatever comes:yes:

I think that's near Mavericks. They're hoping to hold the surf contest this weekend.

R5

Yeah, those are a few surf "break" spots. Hardly anything you'll see landing on normal beaches. And only off-shore. Don't think 40 footers will be landing on shore @ normal beaches.

Ssshheesskk, I miss the 1997 to '98 winter event: For a week straight, the swells arriving were 18 to 25 ft. ROUND THE CLOCK. And finding myself on a beach where ...... for an hour straight, every basket had multiple coins. As fast as I could dig. I don't think I moved out of an area the size of my kitchen, for that entire hour. Just insane. Over 100 wheaties, 46 silver coins, and a $2.50 gold.

However, that was at a mundane locals-only (non-touristy, no swimming) beach. So only a single gold ring, despite nearly 500 coins that night ! By the next day, word circulated through the tip-system of locals and .... by the next day, several others were harvesting. With no shortage of signals to choose from, by anyone. That event was at Marina beach, north of Monterey/Seaside area.

I will definitely be trying around on Monday and Thursday of next week, despite the wimpy tides on Monday.

Beaches I checked on Monterey Bay this morning : Marina, Seaside, and Monterey were all lame as far as I could see in my sampling.

Did anyone try Santa Cruz?

Thats the trick about these big Westerly blows...Like the famous comedian Henny Youngman answered when asked about the key to his success..."Timing!"...

A guy cant really hunt in the full onshore fury, a guy cant dig a signal in 40mph winds and 30mph ankle deep longshore rip! But a guy needs to be there as the tide and weather is pulling out and things have not slumped back in yet...like about a 4hr window is all we are granted, and then a guy has to study the sand movements and really KNOW a beach!...

"The right place at the right time, with the right gear and in the right mind!" This is one tough gig! Beach blowout hunting for lost gold!...A guy would be better off eyeballing parking lots for pennies! And drinking of course...

Well, I sure hope you Calis get into some shine...take a lot of pics, let us see what you find and what you are dealing with...

All we can do is wait...

IMG_0651.jpg

Read here: Big Waves, Little Damage...

R5

went to a local SoCal beach yesterday. Wanted to get some time in but the surge of wave action was insane. The waves were HUGE and non-stop. You think you can walk out a bit during low tide? Think again. You had to SERIOUSLY read the incoming whitewater because if you don't, you'll get SMASHED by little 1 ft whitewater that will knock you down and roll you 20 ft.. WAY DANGEROUS! I tried my hand and came up skunked. I had a solid 11 in the danger zone and i took one dig, looked up, and RAN. I mean I RAN! Even still I nearly got clobbered. I'll wait for another day.. It's not worth loosing my gear and blowing an ACL

Although the article didn't attribute the reason for "little damage", I believe it's because that swell came on a day of wimpy high tide time of the month. Only a 4.9 high tide that day :(

And S. Cruz got spared much erosion, since it was a NW event. And the NW facing beaches of Monterey ...... IMHO, need to have it coincide with high tides (eg.: 5.5 or better times of month).

Back
Top Bottom