• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

another old bottle that needs info

HannibalNectar

Elite Member
I was detecting and just under a pulltab at about seven inches down I saw glass. And I pulled out this nice little bottle. Its 3-4" tall.
It says "DR HAYNES, ARABIAN BALSAM, E MORGAN&SONS, PROVIDENCE RI"
Other than the obvious. Can someone give me some info on it? Age? what its worth? and what is it? Medicine?

Attachments

• 20181031_192907-1.jpg
    20181031_192907-1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 446
  • 20181031_192932-1.jpg
    20181031_192932-1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 390
A quick search looks like that one is from the late 1800s.

This website is a guy that buys RI bottles - not sure how active it is. Based on ebay and picclik it looks like somewhere 15-25 bucks if it was whole.

http://ribottleswanted.blogspot.com/2018/

He has a list of bottles and prices he will pay. He can probably give you all the info you would want on your bottle.

Based on what I can see in the pics, I would say ca 1890 on your bottle. The word "Arabian" is there just for marketing value, just like an "Indian Cure" would make the prospective buyer think that he/she was getting some healing medicine discovered by Native Americans. Balsams were a soothing type of medicine, often used for issues with coughs. Not much value there, if I had it for sale would probably ask $5-10. Priceless though as something YOU found beneath a pull tab while metal detecting!

Based on what I can see in the pics, I would say ca 1890 on your bottle. The word "Arabian" is there just for marketing value, just like an "Indian Cure" would make the prospective buyer think that he/she was getting some healing medicine discovered by Native Americans. Balsams were a soothing type of medicine, often used for issues with coughs. Not much value there, if I had it for sale would probably ask $5-10. Priceless though as something YOU found beneath a pull tab while metal detecting!

Thanks. Good info

A quick search looks like that one is from the late 1800s.

This website is a guy that buys RI bottles - not sure how active it is. Based on ebay and picclik it looks like somewhere 15-25 bucks if it was whole.

http://ribottleswanted.blogspot.com/2018/

He has a list of bottles and prices he will pay. He can probably give you all the info you would want on your bottle.

thank you. Ill look into it.

Back
Top Bottom