Hallo from Vancouver Island!

Adriana

Hi all!

We are fairly new to the metal detecting scene and just love reading all the info on the forums here :yes:

Been watching videos and see a lot of people hunting for gold in the creeks. Now we believe there's a ton of old and abandoned gold mines on the island here and a bunch of our friends go panning in the mountains on weekends. We thought it might be more fun going in with a metal detector :D

My cousin sent us some info on gold detectors from Australia - where he lives - and they look super cool, but we have not been able to find any of those here locally.

What machines do y'all use and which ones would you suggest best to start off with? We have never had one and do not just want to go buy the first cheapest one. We'd like to start out with something decent and go from there. Also - if you could suggest a good place to buy in Canada. Most of the dealers we have found so far are in Toronto: clear on the other side of the country!

Oh- one more question: do any of you know of any clubs or groups on Vancouver Island? It would be nice to meet up with some "old pros"

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

As far as detector recommendations, members can better offer suggestions if they know what type of detecting are you planning, just on dry ground, or also in water, also what basic price range you are hoping to stay within.

I'm not sure how many Canadian forum members are active on the forum, but here is a link to a Canada group on the forum -

https://metaldetectingforum.com/group.php?groupid=111

......neat avatar pic !

Hi all!

I just answered Gary's post, but my post disappeared! How do I find it again? It showed up for about 10 seconds and then it was gone...

Could just have been an unusual glitch, I would just do a fresh post.

(I don't like having to retype stuff myself, I'm sure you likely don't either, so hopefully it wasn't a long post :lol: )

Hi Gary

Thanks for all your warm welcomes!

It was fairly long, but I'll try to remember most points: :grin:

We are in Pacific NW, so even on dry ground, things are still wet! We will be searching in streams and along lake shores, so a wet/dry machine would be required. (being from the Kalahari Desert in South Africa, this wet stuff takes a lot of getting used to!)

Our budget is around $1,000, but we could go higher if the machine is worth it. We do not want to upgrade every 2 weeks!

In one of the videos we had seen, the guy had a wireless headset - something that would be very functional in the woods here. Also, that little pinpointer thingy seems real handy!

and: the dog is Tuna, his web site is TunaMeltsMyHeart . com. Probably the cutest dog on the Internet!

Hi Gary

Thanks for all your warm welcomes!

It was fairly long, but I'll try to remember most points: :grin:

We are in Pacific NW, so even on dry ground, things are still wet! We will be searching in streams and along lake shores, so a wet/dry machine would be required. (being from the Kalahari Desert in South Africa, this wet stuff takes a lot of getting used to!)

Our budget is around $1,000, but we could go higher if the machine is worth it. We do not want to upgrade every 2 weeks!

In one of the videos we had seen, the guy had a wireless headset - something that would be very functional in the woods here. Also, that little pinpointer thingy seems real handy!

and: the dog is Tuna, his web site is TunaMeltsMyHeart . com. Probably the cutest dog on the Internet!

Hi Adriana !

I'll let the members experienced in detecting in water offer their suggestions, (I have only detected dry ground), but one popular model is the Garrett AT Pro -

VERY cute pics you have of Tuna !!!!:D

We have a Border Collie mix, her name is Xena, she is about 4 1/2 years old now, we adopted her from an SPCA at about 8 weeks old, when we saw the pic they had of her on their web site on a weekend, we were there fast on Monday to adopt her before anyone else did, here is her SPCA photo (on the left) followed by a photo when she was a little older, she's not merely a pet, she is family :D
Xena 8 weeks old 1.jpg PXena_1215_068 cropped.jpg

Hi all!

I just answered Gary's post, but my post disappeared! How do I find it again? It showed up for about 10 seconds and then it was gone...

For new members posts sometimes get caught in a Moderation Queue for approval.

Welcome to the Forum!

Welcome from Washington. It's a good idea to have a waterproof detector as the rain never ends around here. I went with the AT Gold and some waterproof headphones. Good luck and happy hunting. :waytogo:

Your pup is gorgeous!

Tuna is not our dog, though - merely an internet celebrity dog. Our kids are much older: 12 (ridgeback) & 15 (min pin). We lost the little rat terrier in October last year. He was 17. Here is a picture of about 10 years ago. The 2 red ones are much greyer around the muzzles now!

16807409_10155072876973653_415298532514046569_n.jpg

Thanks for the info, Kev. We are looking at either the AT Gold or AT Pro, leaning toward the former. How has your experience been with your machine?

Yes - talk about the rain never ending: this has been a super soggy year so far. I swear I'm growing webbed feet!

Back
Top Bottom