Question for hunters finding gold coins

bruinvikes

Elite Member
What type of area are they being found? Are they being found at old school grounds, farm fields or residential areas? Thanks for all input.

I know my friend Sam Waters found hers at a old house in Ohio and I know a guy found one behind second base on a ball field in cali. Truth is they can be found anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually anywhere west of the mighty Mississippi River is great locale to find gold coin.

Civil war/ troop sites are good places too.

Its easier to find a gold nugget than it is to find a gold coin. Just go to where gold has been found in the past with your gold detector and it won't take as long to find a large gold nugget as it will to find a gold coin! Good luck

Nectar Detector posted an interesting article a while back...

Had some really valid pointers towards finding a gold coin...

Maybe he'll chime in....

<°)))>{

Last edited:
In prospecting it's said that "gold is where you find it" As for coins I always thought that gold coins should be in areas old enough to be carried and lost by people.. I've searched a lot of places that I thought have given up one for me but nadda. Best of luck in finding one.. I'm too am still looking for my first.

I found mine in a muddy salt water cove. Five years later I still occasionally go back to look for another.

Ive heard of one being found in a park and a couple found near a cellar hole. Anywhere people gathered could hold gold coins just like silver ones, HH!

Thanks for all of the replies. I know some hunters have found more than one. I'm just curious as to the types of locations that they were found. Of course the setting would be much different now compared to when it was dropped.

Mine were part of a cache so I've never found one that was just randomly dropped. I imagine they could be found just about anywhere other old coins are found, but as rare as hens teeth! Better keep that DISC low too. Even the largest gold coins will read lower than a silver dime. Some of the smaller ones will be way down in the foil range.

IN the last 5 years,,,if we only knew the number of gold coins actually detected,,but due to ID they were passed by.

Smaller foil,bit of aluminum,,fragments of pull tabs,,these culprits have made folks leery of digging low signals.

Now in places where gold jewelry is more likely to be found,,,these lower signal targets are not passed by as often.

It might be a fair statement here to say,,in the USA probably fewer gold coins to be had buried in parks vs older home sites.

Also,,the mighty fbs/fbs2 detector units,,with their more widespread use and great ID,,,this too has caused some gold coins to live to fight another day buried.

Back
Top Bottom