Indiana DNR

dirtykneese

Forum Supporter
I wrote them a letter. ( DNR )
Here in Indiana you can not have a metal detector with you or in your vehical. They will own you and the detector.
I can go to other States and some will give you a permit to detect. Some might charge a small fee for a permit for a year.
Not Indiana. The State parks I am talking about are on a lake with a big beach or other swimming area. YEP, no detecting on the beach or in the water.
I sent them a big Email asking them to change their law. I told them we do not dig a hole no more that maybe a foot deep. Than we fill the hole back in. Little kids make deeper holes and don't fill them in. I also told them that when we find any trash that we take it out so no one will get cut on something sharp.
WE do leave it in better shape than we found it by taking the trash out.
I will see if they email me back.
They will probably just blow me a bunch of !!!!.
The next time they call my cell phone asking for a donation, I know what I will tell them.
I even told them they could charge a small fee for the permit. That way they can make a little more money.
This has been burning a hole in my side for many years now. Time to get it off my bucket list. I just hope it helps.

KEN

Can't hurt. I hope it turns out good for you , but with the way these .gov agencies work, I doubt you'll get far , but it I have been wrong before. Good luck.

You need to get all the metal detectorists in the state to contact their state reps and get a bill sponsored and passed to make it law that you can detect. Without it, the agency has carte blanche to make the rules and there is nothing anyone can do about it. This is the bureaucratic overreach that is killing America. If you don't want to go the bill route, then lobby your governor, he's/she's their boss, and can get the regulations changed.

Would it be open for non residents to vote or help sign a petition?
I think some 40,000 members here would be willing to sign ? :D

There has to be money in it for them or else they are not going to do it. Find out what the cost of a habitat stamp is in your state and tell them metal detectors would pay that to detect and they will jump on it.

Here in Indiana you can not have a metal detector with you or in your vehical. They will own you and the detector.

KEN

You mean you can not have a detector with you or in your vehicle....." while on state park or DNR land " right ? .....anywhere else it should be ok

I would have left out the part about paying for a permit or to detect. The thought of them making money makes them greedy and any costs they might come up with could be really expensive. Instead offer to have clubs give lessons on how to retrieve objects without making a mess.

I would have left out the part about paying for a permit or to detect. The thought of them making money makes them greedy and any costs they might come up with could be really expensive. Instead offer to have clubs give lessons on how to retrieve objects without making a mess.

I agree about the MD clubs giving the lessons, that is how the NRA has done with gun safety, by sponsoring gun safety classes through their clubs and trained instructors. The unfortunate thing that I see is that, to my knowledge, there isn't really a strong national MD lobby organization that is the equivalent of the NRA, but which we dearly need. It seems like about at least once a week or more often, I'm reading on here about some place that has bans or other restrictions on metal detecting, and we need representation to protect our interests.

You mean you can not have a detector with you or in your vehicle....." while on state park or DNR land " right ? .....anywhere else it should be ok

That is right. They might not kill you if it is in the car as long as you don't get it out.
You can be arrested and a fine. They can take your detector. You have to go to court to get it back. Than here comes the fine...
You can hunt any place you want, Just not on State Parks.. KEN

I agree about the MD clubs giving the lessons, that is how the NRA has done with gun safety, by sponsoring gun safety classes through their clubs and trained instructors. The unfortunate thing that I see is that, to my knowledge, there isn't really a strong national MD lobby organization that is the equivalent of the NRA, but which we dearly need. It seems like about at least once a week or more often, I'm reading on here about some place that has bans or other restrictions on metal detecting, and we need representation to protect our interests.

This has been a law for many years. Maybe ever since they come out with detectors.
I am going to keep pushing... KEN

That is pretty much the case, as it is in most state parks, whether we like it or not. I'm guessing that you may be dealing with the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), undisturbed land vs disturbed land, and all that ? That's the same as the huge reservoir here (nearly 1,000 miles of shore land), where I live in NC (not sure about having a MD in the car). Good luck with your campaign :yes:

You lost me. You can't have a detector in your car or is it just in state parks? If it's just the parks i would think that there are plenty of other places to detect. My Great Grandfather was born in Indiana in 1805 before it became a state. i would think that it should have a lot of history and places to find things.

We went through this in WI. DNR has claimed all water illegal and owned by the state.

I wish you luck, but my fight cost me friends and money no results.

BTW I grew up in Hammond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you will have any success fighting the agency itself, you have to go around it. Either go to the state legislature and get a law passed, or, lobby your governor (the agency's boss) to make the agency change the rules to allow it. Getting the law passed is the best thing, as it is more permanent, less likely for anyone to bother overturning it. The governor can change with the next election, and with them, the agency rules.

I don't think you will have any success fighting the agency itself, you have to go around it. Either go to the state legislature and get a law passed, or, lobby your governor (the agency's boss) to make the agency change the rules to allow it. Getting the law passed is the best thing, as it is more permanent, less likely for anyone to bother overturning it. The governor can change with the next election, and with them, the agency rules.

We spent $5000 in WI with no change lobbying the state senate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering if there has been instances of success in turning things in favor of metal detecting and if there were any organizations working towards that and here are two I found, I just found them and haven't yet searched thru their web sites to see what success, if any, they have had, and if so, how they managed to do it -

The FMDAC's Mission: The FMDAC is dedicated to the preservation, promotion, and protection for the hobby of recreational metal detecting and prospecting.

http://fmdac.org/

The Focus of WWATS is to be an information center, providing special training as necessary to understand our relationships with, and to openly approach, our government agencies, seeking ways our hobby can co-exist within the rules and regulations used to govern public lands today. WWATS shall be a proactive organization, not a reactive one.

http://www.wwats.org/index.php/wwats-info/about-wwats

Back
Top Bottom