Culpeper Bound!

choppadude

Forum Supporter
Final packing going on as we speak. 5 machines and tons of accessories and supplies. Ready to spend an awesome weekend with my son doing what we love to do, digging relics!
James at JGD puts on a great hunt with a lot of research and planning going into them. This will be my 6th hunt with them and have yet to see anyone come home empty handed.
Be prepared for many pics on my return.

Just for those curious here are the machines I am taking:
2 XP Deus units, 2 T2 Classics, Minelab GP3500, Minelab CTX3030 (will probably stay in the truck on this trip but you never know) and AT Pro.

Good luck, travel safe, have a great time with your son & dig lots of relics!

Also, represent us well:grin:

My dream hunt!!! You lucky dog!!! Best of luck to you and your son!!! Cant wait for pics!!!

Wish you the best of luck, make sure you play the license plate game or car bingo when on the road. :grin:

I wish you a happy hunting ! Red clay ground there,relics should
be not so deep :digginahole:

Good luck "Steve Earl" Have a safe trip and am looking forward to seeing your finds posted.

We're back

My son and I had a great time at the JGD Hunt! It was great seeing old friends like Chip, MoBob, Tommy, both the Doug's and many others. Also met many new friends and had great conversations.
Finds were scarce for us but many others brought home some great stuff. My boy got a nice dropped musketball and ALOT of iron. I have a lot of respect for that boy, he hunted his butt off and stuck with it till the end.
I dug a few bullets both dropped and pulled. Also had a coat button disintegrate in front of my eyes and a couple button backs. Also a dropped Colt pistol bullet I believe. A few other things. I will post pics soon.
I spent the first day with the Deus and that is what I made most my finds with. I spent the next day and a half with the GP 3500 and got an education. I was nowhere near competent with it but was able to pinpoint 90% of my targets with no issues, of course 90% of those targets were junk LOL! Did get the pistol bullet at 8" and a button back at 4-6". The problem was the small wire sounded like a great target! I dug miles of it! The long time users tell me that you will acquire an ear for it but have to put the time in.
We did spend some time watching the pit diggers and saw some great history being pulled out including plates, bottles, buttons and many bullets. Just watching these relics come to light was worth the trip itself.
James himself got into a pit and was rewarded with some great finds. We were in awe watching these guys take a 300+ acre parcel and locate right were troops were and where they disposed of and lost their items.
The relic display was nothing short of amazing with many items found including several US Plates, Eagle breast plate, several state buttons including Connecticut, Virginia, NY. Very fancy Gold watch winder, sword, sword pommel, cannon ball, many beautiful bottles and about every bullet you could imagine.
We cannot wait to go on our next hunt!

My son and I had a great time at the JGD Hunt! It was great seeing old friends like Chip, MoBob, Tommy, both the Doug's and many others. Also met many new friends and had great conversations.
Finds were scarce for us but many others brought home some great stuff. My boy got a nice dropped musketball and ALOT of iron. I have a lot of respect for that boy, he hunted his butt off and stuck with it till the end.
I dug a few bullets both dropped and pulled. Also had a coat button disintegrate in front of my eyes and a couple button backs. Also a dropped Colt pistol bullet I believe. A few other things. I will post pics soon.
I spent the first day with the Deus and that is what I made most my finds with. I spent the next day and a half with the GP 3500 and got an education. I was nowhere near competent with it but was able to pinpoint 90% of my targets with no issues, of course 90% of those targets were junk LOL! Did get the pistol bullet at 8" and a button back at 4-6". The problem was the small wire sounded like a great target! I dug miles of it! The long time users tell me that you will acquire an ear for it but have to put the time in.
We did spend some time watching the pit diggers and saw some great history being pulled out including plates, bottles, buttons and many bullets. Just watching these relics come to light was worth the trip itself.
James himself got into a pit and was rewarded with some great finds. We were in awe watching these guys take a 300+ acre parcel and locate right were troops were and where they disposed of and lost their items.
The relic display was nothing short of amazing with many items found including several US Plates, Eagle breast plate, several state buttons including Connecticut, Virginia, NY. Very fancy Gold watch winder, sword, sword pommel, cannon ball, many beautiful bottles and about every bullet you could imagine.
We cannot wait to go on our next hunt!

Sounds like you had a great time Choppa! I'm headed down tonight for the Jackson Camp Hunt. Hopefully the relic gods will smile on me! Breaking out the GPX 4500, can't wait. Spend more time with your GP3500 and your start to understand what it's telling you. It's small changes in tone sounds that are the tell. I find that iron (especially nails) usually has a double warble sound at the end. There are some good utube videos that may help.

choppa, how olds the son? trying to get my 11 year old daughter into detecting more, though I feel like other kids around would make it more fun for her. She loves bottle digging and antiques and collecting, so its not like i'm forcing her. Just looking to make it a better experience. we should get together and dig sometime if your interested

Actually my son is 23. Grown up and moved out a couple years ago. Kind of a "Cats in the Cradle" type story. When the kids were young I was working long hours to pay for the house and car as well as feed and clothe 4 kids. Now the kids are grown and gone, the house and cars are paid for and the job pays much better. Kids turn into adults with their own lives and priorities and it seems like time together gets more rare as time goes on.
I am glad I got him out with me a few years ago. He loved the hobby and it is now something we can share and enjoy together. He is a die hard digger like his dad!
Spend as much time as you can with that girl, they grow up faster than you can imagine.

your telling me man, to big to fast. I foresee shining guns and sharpening knives for future introductions....

Hey Steve it was nice meeting you, Matt at the end of day 3. Nice putting a face to the name. Glad your son found a nice round ball, there want to many of those found. It's tough getting used to those Minelabs, by the Fall hunts you'll be tearing it up!!!! See ya in the Fall!!!

Back
Top Bottom