• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Mojave "Instant Classic" to "Instant Flop"???

pine3874

Elite Member
For months on end all one heard about the Mojave were thing like, "instant classic", "must have", "found things my other detectors didn't find". And now, one hears absolutely nothing about it. For months it was almost impossible to buy one, and now it is almost impossible to sell one. I've been trying to sell a like new one for over a month now and haven't even had one person inquire about it. What's going on with the Mojave??? I guess anyone who wanted one already has one and there is no more demand.

Last edited:
Love mine...works better than another Tesoro I've ever tried in my dirt.
Could be these were on the cheaper side so unlike other more expensive models that most would jump on because of a heavy discount people bought them because they had the money...didn't have to save up as much.

Could be the difference of $70 isn't anything those that want an original owner lifetime warranty would look at.

Could be it is just getting near the end of the season...It would probably sell faster in the spring when people are getting excited about getting out, not preparing to shut down for the year.

New units being released too, or will be.
The Equinox is pre selling, FTP people are hoping for something new soon, the AT Pro Max is out now and the impact...things aren't the same as a few years ago when new model releases are few and far between.
None if these units are cheap so there is just less money out there to be thrown around if you are waiting to buy the next big thing.

I don't think it was a flop at all, not the way it works in my dirt, anyway.
I have a Compadre, had a Vaq and I am enjoying this one more than either if them.
I don't read all the classifieds but when I do I haven't noticed a slew of these offered for sale at any time, and actual flop would be dumped hard and quickly.

I'm sure it's a killler, but it's just not very expensive compared to many other detectors but likewise not a huge amount of options either. It can also be hard to sell something relatively lower priced used, when for a fraction more someone could buy a new one. It's pretty affordable, I'd suspect most who wanted one bought new when they became available.

For months on end all one heard about the Mojave were thing like, "instant classic", "must have", "found things my other detectors didn't find". And now, one hears absolutely nothing about it. For months it was almost impossible to buy one, and now it is almost impossible to sell one. I've been trying to sell a like new one for over a month now and haven't even had one person inquire about it. What's going on with the Mojave??? I guess anyone who wanted one already has one and there is no more demand.

Why are you selling yours?

Just because it did't sell, doesn't mean it's worthless. I listed a like new Cibola $100 under new price, and same as you, no bites. Fine by me, I'll keep it and put the Ground Balance mod on it and 2 kick-booty Cibolas.

I've learned when it comes to detectors, if it's not over-complicated, people think it's inferior. LOL, let 'em keep thinking that way and spending 2-3-4 times the money to get the same results.

Keep it for a spare, never know when you may need it.

AT max came out at an unfortunate time, right before the Minelab Equinox. Now Minelab will
snatch all the buyers up with authority!:lol::yes:

Two hours after starting this post, the Mojave sold. Go figure???

Last edited:
I used my Mojave for the first time this week at an old fairground site that I've hunted for several years. Most of the 1840-1880 coins have been coming out of this one area, maybe 15 x 30 yds. Last 3-4 times I've been there with my F75 & G2+, I found nothing at that spot. Tried the Mojave and found six very small non-ferrous objects. No coins, but I was impressed, none the less.

AT Max reportedly is getting coins 2" deeper than AT Pro in disc and 4" deeper than AT Pro in all metal. People saving for the Equinox should think it unlikely that it would equal or beat a $2,250 CTX-3030, because then they'd have to put the CTX price at $599 or less. The $1,500 E-Trac would have to be priced at $499 or less. Doesn't this seem like a formula for bankruptcy, giving away millions? The XT-705 would have to be reduced to $399 or less,

I really can't recall any mfr dropping prices by 50%-70%. And rather than reducing prices this much on current models, is it likely that the Equinox 600 at $649 would become their bottom of the line?

AT max came out at an unfortunate time, right before the Minelab Equinox. Now Minelab will
snatch all the buyers up with authority!:lol::yes:

Yeah, that's one reason I didn't like it, besides not having non-notion pinpoint. There's no way of telling if you have a copper penny, dime, quarter, half or $1.

Also the way the disc knob is marked is confusing. Apparently those 90 degree areas mean the nickel or pull tab will be rejected somewhere in that range. So I set it to 3 o'clock for pull tab reject.

Then I found a pull tab in the garbage and learned it could be rejected at 11:30 position, and a nickel was rejected at 10:30 position in my air tests. 5" deep dime signal broken at 3:00, solid at 12:00, in ground test. Made me feel a little better, still not quite a keeper.

Tesoro is so good at making detectors I almost like. Put the Mojave on Craig's list for $180, then dropped to $160, still nobody wants it in or near this metro area of 3.5 million.

Most probably want digital detectors.

Last edited:
I sold mine due to my "first impressions"....I have a Tesoro Silver Sabre and I suppose I was judging the Mojave based on my experience with the Sabre. I had a BAD first outting with the Mojave, it did not "act" like I expected. It was speaking a non tesoro like language in my opinion. I admit, I probably reacted, instead of responding. But that's just me, I don't always take the time to consider all the factors that I should...long story short, I boxed up the Mojave and sold it. C'est la vie...

HDD

I'm sure it is a good machine.I don't own one nor will I.I called to get a speaker for my Silver sabre 2. They told me they won't sell me one unless I send the machine in. I am done with Tesoro. You couldn't give me a Tesoro machine for I wouldn't take it knowing that I might get sentimentally attached to it and not be able to get parts for it later on down the road.Now I am trying to source a cheap broken Tesoro to fix my Sabre.

Yeah, that's one reason I didn't like it, besides not having non-notion pinpoint. There's no way of telling if you have a copper penny, dime, quarter, half or $1.

Also the way the disc knob is marked is confusing. Apparently those 90 degree areas mean the nickel or pull tab will be rejected somewhere in that range. So I set it to 3 o'clock for pull tab reject.

Then I found a pull tab in the garbage and learned it could be rejected at 11:30 position, and a nickel was rejected at 10:30 position in my air tests. 5" deep dime signal broken at 3:00, solid at 12:00, in ground test. Made me feel a little better, still not quite a keeper.

Tesoro is so good at making detectors I almost like. Put the Mojave on Craig's list for $180, then dropped to $160, still nobody wants it in or near this metro area of 3.5 million.

Why not just thumb the disc knob, or just dig it? You could have always learned where things hit, and noted it, maybe even marked it.

What detector do you now own that always accurately tells you coin denomination in the dirt?

Seems like when selling a detector, listing it on a metal detecting site would have been the best thing to do.

I'm sure it is a good machine.I don't own one nor will I.I called to get a speaker for my Silver sabre 2. They told me they won't sell me one unless I send the machine in. I am done with Tesoro. You couldn't give me a Tesoro machine for I wouldn't take it knowing that I might get sentimentally attached to it and not be able to get parts for it later on down the road.Now I am trying to source a cheap broken Tesoro to fix my Sabre.

Why does it have to be a speaker from another Tesoro? You can't get size/info from it, and source one elsewhere?

To me, this is so simple. They come out basically with a Compadre on steroids- no features to aid in trash- after promising a Cazador- after taking away a Golden that had started a rebirth due to the new tones. Then, excited users found out that some features they dissed would, in fact, be nice to have- so the Mojave goes to the backup list. Then, schools and parks, due to vandalism, make accessibility almost impossible and so the more expensive, deeper detectors are desired for older, more accessible sites. :cool:

Mojave

I think we live in a bells & whistles society, apple iphone for a thousand bucks, really??? I bought a Mojave when they first came out for my wife. We were both new to detecting, and i did my research and thought this would be a great first machine, and introduction to the hobby. Well guess what, for once i was right. The Mojave is a good machine, I have dug coins at more than 11" and a hot wheels car at 13. I am the digger, and i can tell you i have dug more than my fair share of trash, but we are learning so much in the process. Not too good on the beach, but how many single frequency machines are? Seems to me people want to compare this to much more expensive machines and that is just not fair, like comparing a Volt to a Porsche.........just not valid. Great first machine, great backup machine, it has its place in the hobby for sure.

I often see Tesoros on Ebay for only a few bucks less shipped than brand new with warranty. I don't want one that someone has checked over and decided was not one of the 'hot' ones, and then no warranty. Just get a brand new one

Back
Top Bottom