(Updated)1800s Coins in Scotland!!!

CJ319

Forum Supporter
A few weeks ago I put the feelers out there for a digging buddy while vacationing in Scotland and didn't get any hits so I've just been hitting the beach when I can. The wife and I stopped in a little town called Cromarty and visited a 1783 Gaelic chapel. The chapel is completely decrepit and due to the roof falling in, has become overgrown on the inside. Stopped in the town museum and talked to a lady about detecting inside the chapel. She was very interested and said I could, on the condition the museum gets to display it. Only had about an hour and a half, but got the best finds if my life so far. Two Georgius III 1806 and 1807, and one 1827 Georgius IV. I'm having trouble uploading pics with the wifi I have, so you just get the 1827 for now. Tomorrow I'm stopping by a farmers place who lets people detect. Hopefully my luck keeps up. Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,010
Last edited:
Well found.

You could have come out with me but I'm down the other end of the UK to you.

Maybe next time?

Well found.

You could have come out with me but I'm down the other end of the UK to you.

Maybe next time?

My wife and I try to do a big trip every two years, so definitely a possibility.

That's pretty cool! What did she say about it when you showed her?

Thanks everyone. She was very excited. She, nor I really expected to find anything. Now she has to go through the arduous task of reporting and sending the finds to the authorities.

Nice hunting!

She shouldn't have to alert the FLO, there not classed as treasure.

Is there anywhere to tell what is to he turned in? I briefly read the law before arriving and it's very vague. It just said anything of historical value could become property of the Crown and that it had to be reported in order to determine what was kept.

The Treasure Act

Any metallic object, other than a coin, provided that at least 10 per cent by weight of metal is precious metal (that is, gold or silver) and that it is at least 300 years old when found. If the object is of prehistoric date it will be Treasure provided any part of it is precious metal.
Any group of two or more metallic objects of any composition of prehistoric date* that come from the same find (*see note 3 below)
Two or more coins from the same find provided they are at least 300 years old when found and contain 10% gold or silver (if the coins contain less than 10 per cent of gold or silver there must be at least ten of them). Only the following groups of coins will normally be regarded as coming from the same find:
hoards that have been deliberately hidden
smaller groups of coins, such as the contents of purses, that may been dropped or lost
votive or ritual deposits.
Any object, whatever it is made of, that is found in the same place as, or had previously been together with, another object that is Treasure.
Any object that would previously have been treasure trove, but does not fall within the specific categories given above. Only objects that are less than 300 years old, that are made substantially of gold or silver, that have been deliberately hidden with the intention of recovery and whose owners or heirs are unknown will come into this category.

Please Note:

An object or coin is part of the �same find� as another object or coin if it is found in the same place as, or had previously been together with, the other object. Finds may have become scattered since they were originally deposited in the ground.

Single coins will not be treasure, unless they are found in association with objects that are treasure, or unless there is exceptionally strong evidence that they were buried with the intention of recovery. Section 3 (2) of the Act defines the term �coin� as including any metal token that was, or can reasonably be assumed to have been, used or intended for use as or instead of money. This definition only includes coins and tokens made after the introduction of the first coinage into this country during the Iron Age period and excludes objects made earlier such as iron currency bars. Jettons or reckoning counters are also excluded from this definition.

�of prehistoric date� means dating from the Iron Age or any earlier period

Hi, sorry yes Scotland differs, any copper coins pre 1707 needs handed in, most coins will be recorded and handed back unless there of significant importance, according to the main dig organization.

Quick update (wifi still crummy). We stayed at an 1850s school house turned into a B&B. Didn't even have to ask for permission. Got to talking about the history of the school and the owner offered to let me detect. Over two evenings I found a 1912, 1918 and 1884 British penny, a few old buttons (3 still have the backer) a spill of old square nails and a moped. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_2510.jpg
    IMG_2510.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_2476.jpg
    IMG_2476.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_2514.jpg
    IMG_2514.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 456
Here's a pic of the three coins I found in the church. The curator of the museum sent me an email a couple of days ago and had this to say about the church;
"The Gaelic Chapel was built in the 1770s by George Ross for the Gaelic speaking workers on his estate. Cromarty has always been an English speaking town and Ross had imported Gaelic speakers from the mountains for his business enterprises. It would seem therefore that they were lost probably during a Sunday service sometime after 1827 from somebody who spoke Gaelic with a minister who was holding a service in Gaelic!

Interestingly the last recorded use of the chapel was during the Second World War by Polish Army troops who were based in Cromarty. It fell into disrepair during the 1940s and 1950s."

He also said that they already had similar examples of these coins so he would be sending them to me once they are catalogued in Edinburgh!

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 397
Back
Top Bottom