Snake Proof Boots

Lee1968

Elite Member
Anybody wear snake proof boots while detecting in the woods? I am thinking about getting a pair, as the little copperheads are abundant in Southern Illinois.There are a few timber rattlers, but the copperheads are the most common. I was wondering if you wear them what kind you have, are they cumbersome to walk and bend down with, and is the peace of mind worth it? I ain't afraid of the little "no leggers", but they are so well camouflaged, you could step on one and not know it until it is too late. (I stepped on a snake - not poisonous - when I was much younger, and he spun around a grabbed my ankle before I could avoid it. Needless to say I launched into the air about four feet. Never forgot that!)

I'm looking into getting a pair of snake proof pants. Going out West next summer. My friends out there say that Rattlers can strike pretty high up on your leg. Wanna make sure I'm covered.....:yes:

a tip about rattlers....They can only strike the length of the the body that they have bent back. If you google a pic of one in the striking position, you'll understand what I'm talking about. They bend back in an S position and that is all they can reach.

As far as boots go, I think you will be better off getting a good pair of gloves, so when you bend down to reach in hole, they don't get you in the hand.

My buddy

Got bit in Garrett co md by a Rattle snake, he got off the mountain to the hospital , and got lucky, they had anti venum, his insurance covered all but 2k, it was like 75k , he was clowning around holding it, kinked around and bit him on the hand, he almost lost his finger, he is a member here, Turkey Scratch, after that i bought a pair, they go up to the knee, from Cabellas , :laughing:, never used them still in the box. Ps they call him Snake Bite at work :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Don't have to worry about that here in da U.P. Only Garter, Copper Bellies, Green snakes, all non venomous. Not a fan of the no shouldered critters.

Lots of rattlesnakes in south Texas. My favorite boot for quail hunting has always been my Chippewa boots. Like any good boot there is a break in period. They will last you a lifetime.
They are excellent for keeping thorns and brush off of your legs and add piece of mind when you can’t see in high grass. They are also a great looking snake boot. I have had mine for about 25 years. I took mine and both my sons to a saddle shop and had them add zippers to the inside of each for easy on/off.

Got some timber rattlers and some big black snakes here in western pa..Found the black snake last year in the arborvitae tree pictured,didn’t take that arborvitae down that day.He was at Least 8 feet long.
The rattler was on the sidewalk on the same job,pretty good sized and probably full of rats or pregnant.
No need for boots here for snake prevention,probably hurt if you get bit but I doubt fatal.

Attachments

• 8B0A1FC4-3BE4-4A0B-9983-C11C40D46EB7.jpeg
    8B0A1FC4-3BE4-4A0B-9983-C11C40D46EB7.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 309
  • 42526E41-C8FB-4819-A4F8-848287B6238F.jpeg
    42526E41-C8FB-4819-A4F8-848287B6238F.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 295
  • 273EEBCF-2752-49D8-BDF5-D9550D42FED2.jpeg
    273EEBCF-2752-49D8-BDF5-D9550D42FED2.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 314
Thanks for the feedback. I am still shopping. I did walk through the woods for a few minutes on a trail this morning, and when I got up to the house I found 2 ticks on me. I always forget about those little buggers. Maybe the woods are meant for winter lol.

Thanks for the feedback. I am still shopping. I did walk through the woods for a few minutes on a trail this morning, and when I got up to the house I found 2 ticks on me. I always forget about those little buggers. Maybe the woods are meant for winter lol.

Ticks are worse than snakes imo

I have been prairie dog hunting in SD several times and told by the guy I went with "Look out for the rattlesnakes, better get those tall boots!" never saw a live one. Always carried a little 22 pistol with birdshot / snake loads just in case. I really don't mind snakes, its those spiders I hate.

Wood

I think it was a Timber rattlesnake thati bit Jim, pretty sure they are poisonous, better get some snake boots bra . Wood it was a Eastern Timber Rattlesnake , very venomous that bit Jim, just Googled it, better get some snake boots, i have a pair, up to the knee size 15, never worn.

Last edited:
Don't have to worry about that here in da U.P. Only Garter, Copper Bellies, Green snakes, all non venomous. Not a fan of the no shouldered critters.

You don't have the Eastern Massassauga in the UP? One of the few I've seen was close to Traverse City.

Back
Top Bottom