1-13-17 hunt Infantry button, possible trime and more

remmy

Forum Supporter
I got out for a bit Friday afternoon and hunted a local site with some military history. My first good target was a button I had been wanting to find, when I saw the I on it I was pleasantly surprised. About a foot from the button was the rivet that has both ends on it. I circled this area hoping there were more good targets but there were just those two. About 100 yds away I found the general service button and within a few feet of that, a toasty indian. What I think is the best find of the day is the very small, razor thin silver disk (awesome condition barber dime for size ref :lol:). I can not make out a single detail on either side. I measured it and the diameter is dead on 14 mm, same as a silver trime. The area I was hunting has few signals and I was pleases that I dug only a few more junk targets than keepers.

Thanks for looking!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Wow, that's an amazing hunt with some awesome finds!

Thanks for sharing, Remmy!

WOW! No Kidding! What do you make of that? Try everything you can to see if you can pull an ID on that coin? Man, you really stepped back in time here! Nice work Remmy!
Mud

Wow, that's an amazing hunt with some awesome finds!

Thanks for sharing, Remmy!

Thanks!

WOW! No Kidding! What do you make of that? Try everything you can to see if you can pull an ID on that coin? Man, you really stepped back in time here! Nice work Remmy!
Mud

Thanks Mud! I have looked at this coin with everything I have including the 40x loupe, flashlight trick and more. :no:

Good hunt

The buttons are cool, they are on my list. I can only imagine how many times you looked at that trime. I'm convinced what else could it be. lol Good luck and HH Mark

Great finds!
Could that be a half dime?

Possibly I suppose but I don't think so. It is hard to tell from this pic but it is significantly smaller in diameter than my half dime. It fits inside the half dime outer rim. As badly as it is worn I guess it could be anything.

picture.php

My experience is that a silver that worn would be a reale or in your case, a half reale. They were used for hundreds of years. Where trimes were used for what? Twenty or thirty years?
Good find.

Point well made but in the lower right of the photo is what I was told is a half reale. Is my info wrong because the diameter difference is huge. Could it be that worn?

picture.php

Do you have the diameter of your coin?
Otherwise, you need to get your hands on a trime for comparaison:yes:
The 3-cent silver is 14mm and surprisingly did not have a reeded edge.

Do you have the diameter of your coin?
Otherwise, you need to get your hands on a trime for comparaison:yes:
The 3-cent silver is 14mm and surprisingly did not have a reeded edge.

it is 14mm, I did note that in the original post

Back
Top Bottom