They were lunatics then and they are still lunatics

Wom 27

Elite Member
Often when I have time,I look on my gps, look for big green spaces and that way I find parks or whatever that I haven't checked out before. I was far from home today and went to a 225 acre park that used to be the state lunatic hospital that had opened in1878 and I started to detect a volleyball court when a kid with a badge came up behind me and told me there was no detecting on the grounds. The lunatic part is that dogs are free to roam unleashed anywhere on the grounds. We MDers are moving on down the old totem pole !!!

Anyone have Pink Floyd running through their heads after reading this. You should or just stared blindly at him and start swatting at things only you can see. They may invite you inside :lol:

Well....is it privately owned? Because if it is,it's not a 225 acre "park".

It's owned by Montgomery county just outside of Philly. It just burns me up that the animals have more complete use of the park than a human being !

It's owned by Montgomery county just outside of Philly. It just burns me up that the animals have more complete use of the park than a human being !

That is really strange then...did you examine this fellows credentials? Perhaps HE is a detectorist just running people off as long as he can til he gets exposed? Maybe a chat with someone at the Parks board could make things clearer,and don't forget to mention how you feel about the dog/human status...only after you get officially denied permission if it turns out that way.
Good luck,sounds like it COULD hold some keepers...

That is really strange then...did you examine this fellows credentials? Perhaps HE is a detectorist just running people off as long as he can til he gets exposed? Maybe a chat with someone at the Parks board could make things clearer,and don't forget to mention how you feel about the dog/human status...only after you get officially denied permission if it turns out that way.
Good luck,sounds like it COULD hold some keepers...

He actually dose metal detec, I don't know how much. But he had a badge and a uniform. No gun that I noticed !

Some due diligence would have saved you some anxiety.

http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3824

I have had a ranger try to run me off several times from one of our parks. I read the statutes prior and carried a copy with me. "They don't like you doing that" was usually what he said, to which I replied, "I'm not violating any statutes or laws, but I will leave for now"
This has happened a couple of times and each time he gives me another silly answer.

Always check your local laws.

Well, you shouda started barking at him, peed on his shoes, foaming at the mouth, and maybe take a dump right there in the yard for full effect! :laughing:
Mud

Some due diligence would have saved you some anxiety.

http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3824

I have had a ranger try to run me off several times from one of our parks. I read the statutes prior and carried a copy with me. "They don't like you doing that" was usually what he said, to which I replied, "I'm not violating any statutes or laws, but I will leave for now"
This has happened a couple of times and each time he gives me another silly answer.

Always check your local laws.
+ 1 , it may suck , but not worth wasting your time

Where is california tom when we need him?

:laughing::laughing: Oh you KNOW he will be along shortly! Theres some others that bow up big time when confronted by some sort of badge!...

Some goofy kid tried to run me off a snow hill once, here I am at 5 am digging clad in the snow, and he tells me the hill is not open until 8am! I just laughed and thanked him for his service!

Another time, two summertime teen 'beach patrol guards' tried to run me off the sand early, like at 4am..."Sir, this beach is not open until 8am" I asked them what are you out here for then? They said they were looking for drunks and skinnydippers...I said, "So all I gotta do is pull my pants down and get in the water?" :laughing:

Rage against the Machine! Time and Gold wait for Nobody! I didnt buy all this high end gear to sleep until noon! We aint golfers...
Mud

Ace400 and mudpuppy are much too cruel! :roll:

When first reading wom27 plight, I was going to say that I do not consider individual isolated "scrams", to necessarily constitute "not allowed" or being on par with "law". Because it could be isolated flukes where someone is having a bad hair day. Or because they think you're about to leave a hole. Or a cop who is just responding to a call-out, and now he must justify his just having come out (even though he may personally not care).

I have had many such instances where I've heard a "scram" 10, 20, or 30 yrs. ago. Yet later, after awhile, it's forgotten and no one else ever hears "boo" again from anyone. So I was going to suggest looking up for yourself, to see if there's any actual *specific* prohibition.

AND I SEE THAT Philbyfile has done just that:

So there ya go. The guy wasn't making it up. This only pertains to county parks there, and not other forms of Govt. land BTW. Too bad you didn't pick a more discreet time to have gone, because otherwise, maybe you'd never have "known better".

And notice you merely get a "scram". (what ? No tickets ? No jail ? No confiscations ? Say it isn't so !). Hence too bad you hadn't picked lower traffic lower visibility times, then .... durnit ... you'd never have known better.

Ace400 and mudpuppy are much too cruel! :roll:

When first reading wom27 plight, I was going to say that I do not consider individual isolated "scrams", to necessarily constitute "not allowed" or being on par with "law". Because it could be isolated flukes where someone is having a bad hair day. Or because they think you're about to leave a hole. Or a cop who is just responding to a call-out, and now he must justify his just having come out (even though he may personally not care).

I have had many such instances where I've heard a "scram" 10, 20, or 30 yrs. ago. Yet later, after awhile, it's forgotten and no one else ever hears "boo" again from anyone. So I was going to suggest looking up for yourself, to see if there's any actual *specific* prohibition.

AND I SEE THAT Philbyfile has done just that:

So there ya go. The guy wasn't making it up. This only pertains to county parks there, and not other forms of Govt. land BTW. Too bad you didn't pick a more discreet time to have gone, because otherwise, maybe you'd never have "known better".

And notice you merely get a "scram". (what ? No tickets ? No jail ? No confiscations ? Say it isn't so !). Hence too bad you hadn't picked lower traffic lower visibility times, then .... durnit ... you'd never have known better.

"Not Knowing" is half the battle.

Ok Tom, now I'm confused. When I posted that exact link and even posted a screenshot of the regulation it's self the other day you still argued that I should be detecting in the parks. Also, if you look, it says right on the top of the page that it includes trails and historic sites, not just the county parks. Those trails cover a lot of ground around here. A LOT! And we're littered with historic sites... Birthplace of the Nation and all.
My second or third day out detecting in a local State Park I was asked about a permit by the gun toting ranger, they take these sorts of things pretty seriously around these here parts. I don't think I've ever gone fishing in the 36 years I've lived in Pennsylvania without having a F&G Warden come check my permit.

Ok Tom, now I'm confused. When I posted that exact link and even posted a screenshot of the regulation it's self the other day you still argued that I should be detecting in the parks....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I said "other" parks there. Not saying hunt the parks that are dis-allowed. My position had been that not all parks are "county" parks. Hence to not confuse "county" with meaning "all public land within a county". Eg.: parks under different administration/control.

.... Also, if you look, it says right on the top of the page that it includes trails and historic sites, not just the county parks...

In the context of the rules-governing-county-parks, that would mean "... trails and historic sites" ADMINISTERED BY THE COUNTY. Go back to the context of whose list of rules you're reading. And you'll see it's the county parks rules. Thus those "trails" and "Historic sites" they're referring to there, is THEIR trails and historic sites.

Ace-400: park rules can differ all the time between city, county, state, and fed. One might require dogs on leash, while the other has no such restriction, and so forth.

"Not Knowing" is half the battle.

I knew a guy who detected a federal beach here in CA (that is supposedly off-limits d/t it's federal) . In broad daylight, full view of passing rangers, lifeguard towers, etc.... He simply didn't know any better. After more than a year of this, he began to meet others in the hobby, and .... only THEN heard from some other hobbyist in his area "... Isn't that off-limits?".

At first he assumed they must be mistaken. After all, what harm can md'ing do to beach sand for pete's sake. And after all: If it were true, the *certainly* someone would have said something to him by then, eh? Hence the md'r telling him "off limits" must be mistaken. But after hearing it from an additional couple of md'rs, he began to look into it himself. And sure enough ... it was there (perhaps buried in "cultural heritage verbiage or whatever?).

He had gotten a lot of gold rings and untold thousands of coins by then. So now, you're right, he probably wished he'd never "been appraised" by fellow hobbyists. :roll:

I knew a guy who detected a federal beach here in CA (that is supposedly off-limits d/t it's federal) . In broad daylight, full view of passing rangers, lifeguard towers, etc.... He simply didn't know any better. After more than a year of this, he began to meet others in the hobby, and .... only THEN heard from some other hobbyist in his area "... Isn't that off-limits?".

At first he assumed they must be mistaken. After all, what harm can md'ing do to beach sand for pete's sake. And after all: If it were true, the *certainly* someone would have said something to him by then, eh? Hence the md'r telling him "off limits" must be mistaken. But after hearing it from an additional couple of md'rs, he began to look into it himself. And sure enough ... it was there (perhaps buried in "cultural heritage verbiage or whatever?).

He had gotten a lot of gold rings and untold thousands of coins by then. So now, you're right, he probably wished he'd never "been appraised" by fellow hobbyists. :roll:

I always like this story...! In our sport and life in general, Ignorance is bliss!
Mud

Correct me if I'm wrong,

It's cute that you're still trying to be right, but your argument has moved into the realm of ridiculousness at this point.
I've now said at least 4 different times that this ban is only relating to the parks, trails and historic sites run by the county. I have repeatedly mentioned detecting in both state and township parks within Montgomery County.

I will even add this, I'm about to go for round 2 with the park manager (and then probably end up going over their head to the state parks people) about one local park that is listed as a state park (and I'm assuming is funded as such) but is administered by the county in question. I was told when I asked about detecting there that it's off limits in county parks. I'm going to reply and say I know it is and that's why I asked, because you're a state park and state parks allow MDing. Most of the 'park' is a working farm that is used to grow corn. And don't get me started on what a shady scam that is, calling places parks and then leasing out the land to corn farmers, some even putting up 12' fences around the corn barely leaving trails around the edge for people to enjoy the 'park'

Some people like to be oblivious to the rules. I spent my life in a career where that was not possible. As I alluded to once before, I had to know the rules to be able to skirt them or break them. It's just how I like to roll at this point, my comfort zone, as it were. Sure, there are times where it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. But especially as a noob, I don't want to be the one that goes out and gives metal detecting a black eye. And the area I live in is riddled with rules and regulations about MDing. Some counties allow it, some don't. Some charge a fee for a permit, some don't. Some cities/townships don't allow it in their parks, others do. With it being so easy to find out the information and then secure the permit where required, it's just not worth the possible hassle to me to go the ignorance is bliss route. With that said, if I don't turn up anything doing a quick internet search on the name of the place I want to detect, I go about my business. Internet searches for the borough I live in and township next door had no results... The subsequent dirt searches have been cladtastic.

Back
Top Bottom