Hot tip pays off

TorqueMaster

Elite Member
A while back, I was picking up a couple of boxes of halves as usual. The manager says, "Oh yeah...the West branch just got a bunch of halves in that they want to get rid of." "Oh wow, thanks, I'll check that out."

Visions of sugar plums dancing in my head, lol, I boogied there DIRECTLY, and found they had 21 customer wrapped rolls of halves. I caught that some were labelled "67" and "68" and got a little excited.

Turns out 5 of the 21 rolls were full of 40%ers! Yowza! Pics for drooling purposes below!

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• cwr1_nov2016.jpg
    cwr1_nov2016.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 332
  • cwr2_nov2016.jpg
    cwr2_nov2016.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 310
Wow, that's awesome! Cookies for the tipster branch! I had a similar find a few years back with 67, 68 etc written on the outside. I was excited but told my grandfather who I was visiting, either I'm getting a whole ton of silver, or none at all. Such a great feeling to see the tellers don't know to buy those hah. Congratulations!

40% silver halves. We couldn't give 'em away back in '79 when the Hunts drove silver prices to never-before seen prices. The Bros wanted 90% silver or higher, in purity. 40% silver halves were considered 'dirty', and cost too much to refine.

Not only did I roll hunt in the 70's, but also between 2008 and 2015. Even with silver approaching $50 again, the tellers weren't too keen on the 40%. Locally, the only game in town offered $1 ea, and that's where tellers would take their coin, when I was selling for between $3-$4 at the show.

Congrats on the solid rolls!

So what was the average number of keepers in a box of halves in the 70s amc? I wish I had started the hobby when I was a kid. When I got my Ace 250 about five years back, my dad dug out his ADS III. I never even knew he used to detect until then, but my brother vaguely remembers it.

Beautiful! Just that one little side comment in conversation got you into it! Very Nice Score!

I remember the Hunt Brothers run at silver...I made a decent fortune since I had quite a stack at the time and was a newlywed...I dont know why, I've just always liked silver, and its been nice to have around a time or two...
Mud

I think I just got lucky that somehow word got to my usual branch about these rolls sitting at another branch. That "my guy" mentioned it to me is icing on the cake!

And yes, cookies for my tipsters just before the holiday weekend. :)

I went back to the branch that had the rolls, seeing if the same person dropped off any loose halves as well, since it seemed odd that they were all in groups of 20. No dice. The customer apparently had some big dollar coins as well -- I suspect they were all Ikes, but you gotta wonder -- but decided to keep those. The tellers were interested in the halves, which ones were valuable, etc, but expressed no interest in grabbing them for themselves if more came in. I'll get the word if any more roll in, ha ha.

Happy Hunting.

Back
Top Bottom