Help on Repair Operation

xsertcop

My wife rolled over my AT Pro with the car and I thought the whole machine was toast. Lo and behold it still works! Can't say that about the head phones and it will not look pretty. I am looking for suggestions on how to best attach the unit back to the shaft. As you can see in the photos the screws were pulled out of the holes.

Attachments

• IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 805
  • IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 803
Have you been in contact with the manufacturer? Maybe they can do the job without breaking the bank.

Good Luck!

Is the machine under warranty? Garret has fantastic customer service and I can almost guarantee they'd help you out. If you are deadset on doing it yourself I would see about finding a high quality toy made out of ABS plastic with long screw ports. I would drill out the screw ports on the pro and then transplant new ones in. Epoxy/superglue in place. Or easiest solution I can think off is just glob that thing back on the shaft with hotglue if you just want functionality.

Duct tape :lol:

Seriously though, Garrett or easy out those screw and then... Try um Garrett as I would hate to recommend longer screws as a fix on a waterproof machine.

Call Garrett first ,like everyone is saying great service and they really try to help . Sent me a coil bolt and battery case free and quick , Rusty cleared up some questions I had about things I heard about on line .
Something is gonna have to be done about women running over Md' s !
I suspect some woman 's Lib group maybe behind this rash of attacks .
We have to act now or soon all Md's maybe painted pink or only work after the lawn is cut .
HH

Take a file to so scrap ABS, little acetone will dissolve it, and it will bond with the screw posts, pretty much as strong as before, when the acetone evaporates (doesn't take long).

Thought everyone knew that women, and man's hobbies don't often mix well. If she ain't into it herself, watch your gear... Less time you spend enjoying your hobby, the more time you have for that never-ending "honey-do" list...

If the screws were just ripped out and no cracks in the screw housing look into a helicoil kit.
GL

I'm not sure that the boxes are made out of ABS, but Harvey's suggestion is the one I'd try first. I'd also look for an industrial strength double sided tape or use Liquid Nails to afix the box to the shaft. That will look a lot better than duct tape! :laughing:

Good luck!

JBWeld should do nicely. If it's ABS then MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone) available at the local hardware store will dissolve it. I have used chips of ABS pipe dissolved in MEK to weld ABS before.
I just received my new ATPro yesterday and your pics brought tears to my eyes.:no:
Good Luck, glad it still works...

JBWeld should do nicely. If it's ABS then MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone) available at the local hardware store will dissolve it. I have used chips of ABS pipe dissolved in MEK to weld ABS before.

I just received my new ATPro yesterday and your pics brought tears to my eyes.:no:

Good Luck, glad it still works...

ABS and MEK will work great. Also, JB Weld. You can glob it in there and once it sets you can drill, tap, grind and whatever else needs to be done. My only concern is it's waterproof integrity being affected. I use JB Weld weekly on something. It's awesome.

Thank god my CTX is in my closet. I can just imagine my wife doing that. I for one know that the CTX would not come out of it as well as the AT Pro. Gives me the chills just thinking of it.

Golly folks, this thread ran for 13 comments and ended in February.
Here it is May already and I'm waiting to see how this was resolved.
Is it ABS.....did the JB Weld work......?
Did you finally junk it or did the wife do a final knock out with a hammer?
Waiting:impatient:

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers

First - Do the simple stuff ....

And that would be is to call Garrett first and see what they suggest . If it's got a warranty fixing the thing might be as simple as having them stuff it in a new box and giving it a complete check up . Altering the stuff by a home made repair would more than likely VOID the warranty and you'll never know if all those seals a still waterproof . But be ready to buy the new box cause THAT isn't wouldn't be covered cause it's made to be waterproof and having it ran over by something !
But if the rest is believed to be fine it's better to make sure by having their techs check it and those guts (if still working) should be still under a warranty.
And then and only then if they won't fix it you'll have to do it yourself .
If that's it then try to remove the old screw threads the best way and chase the threads with the correct tap . Dupont makes a automotive stripped thread compound and you should be able to apply the compond that includes a thread release coating to apply to the screws . Then have them those screws setup in compound and remove them per-instruction time . Then let them cure and reassemble it .
If you can't find that stuff you can use JB Weld and if you need help with that contact me . It's also the same . If you get bold and also use expoxy along with the compound or JB to hold the control box tight you'll have to remember that once dry you'll never be able to remove it . And see if your auto or home insurance will pay for a NEW or the repairs . IMHO,
Woodstock

H'mmmm since we haven't heard back...

Perhaps the wife realized she hadn't eliminated the detector...

So she ran over HIM!

SageGrouse

Also waiting on final solution!!

Maybe she realized she didn't complete the "mission", and ran over it again:D:lol::shock::wow::lol:

And that would be is to call Garrett first and see what they suggest . If it's got a warranty fixing the thing might be as simple as having them stuff it in a new box and giving it a complete check up . Altering the stuff by a home made repair would more than likely VOID the warranty and you'll never know if all those seals a still waterproof . But be ready to buy the new box cause THAT isn't wouldn't be covered cause it's made to be waterproof and having it ran over by something !
But if the rest is believed to be fine it's better to make sure by having their techs check it and those guts (if still working) should be still under a warranty.
And then and only then if they won't fix it you'll have to do it yourself .
If that's it then try to remove the old screw threads the best way and chase the threads with the correct tap . Dupont makes a automotive stripped thread compound and you should be able to apply the compond that includes a thread release coating to apply to the screws . Then have them those screws setup in compound and remove them per-instruction time . Then let them cure and reassemble it .
If you can't find that stuff you can use JB Weld and if you need help with that contact me . It's also the same . If you get bold and also use expoxy along with the compound or JB to hold the control box tight you'll have to remember that once dry you'll never be able to remove it . And see if your auto or home insurance will pay for a NEW or the repairs . IMHO,
Woodstock

H'mmmm since we haven't heard back...

Perhaps the wife realized she hadn't eliminated the detector...

So she ran over HIM!

Folks, this is called hijacking a thread, and I hate anyone doing it to me, but these posts deserve a answer.....

Russ C: :realitycheck:

Scout; SageGrouse: :sweet:

Woodstock: I have been fortunate enough to have never had reason to return my AT Pro to Garrett, but they were absolutely sensational when I did send in my GPP for repair.
Although the obvious cause of the damage was a broken switch, even after I admitted I had broken while I performed exploratory surgery on the GPP after leaving it submerged in muddy water for about an hour and then stepping on it in the mud.
They not only gave me a three week turn around time on a GPP which appeared to be brand new, they paid postage both ways and gave me a new warranty.
Were it me, I'd give Garrett the first crack at repairing it and wouldn't do jack until they positively said they wouldn't cover it, or repair it at a reasonable cost. Only then I'd try anything and every thing else you've said including some Gorrilla glue and Duck Tape:lol:

And, for right now I'm still waiting for a reply by the OP.

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers

If it were mine and I wanted to fix it myself I would cut a horizontal slit in the plastic support that runs parallel with the rod between the broken post on the head, just wide enough to slide a hose clamp through and clamp it down to the rod. easy fix, you could even use two clamps one at each end. it would probably be stronger than the original screws, they tend to snap off pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom