Finally nabbed the elusive-to-us Mercury Dime!

TriadHunter

Elite Member
For the 3 of you who read my posts and replies (ha ha!) you'll know that we have been on the hunt for the elusive-to-me Winged Liberty Head aka "Mercury Dime" for quite some time now. My "mean" wife even went so far as to buy one at a local antique store while I was out detecting, throwing it in the dirt and then having my daughter "find it" with her cheap BH detector then showing it to me. But it was too shiny so I was on to her antics.

Well this afternoon was in the 60's (beautiful) and our standing late 1800's permission was calling our names. So we hit it for about an hour. About 30 minutes into the hunt I got a faint 83-85 about 6-8" down on my 400. Dug a great plug, flipped it, pro-pointed it and immediately we saw a silver rim. We knew right away it was a Barber or Merc. Funny enough, we were hoping for a Merc since we have a few Barbers. Sure enough, there she was. I sprayed it with our spray bottle quite a bit and we saw that it was a 1917. My son went crazy, yelling that it was a key date (he missed it by one year). Unfortunately it's a no-mint. A "D" would have been great, but it's our first Merc so we don't care. It will be saved forever. HH all!
ry%3D400

Here she is after being cleaned with just sprayed water and towel:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Last edited:
Congrats on getting your wings !!! I wish some one would throw some Mercs in the grass for me . HH :lol:

Nice job, a real beauty for 100 years old!
I remember finding my first (about 5 years ago) like it was yesterday:yes:
But now I really have to close my eyes and think harder...

Your Readership base and Fan Club is growing with finds like these! :laughing::laughing: Sweet Merc! It didnt see a lot of pocket time for being 100yrs old!
Mud

Last edited:
Congrats on your first Merc. Hopefully they will come in bunches. With me it was first just Barbers, then Mercs, took over a year to find my first silver Rosie in something other then pocket change then found a few of them. Only 1 seated halfdime so far. Luck quit there I guess.

Back
Top Bottom