• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Down for the count

georgeinsc

Elite Member
Took my spare Sovereign GT to a permission that I was lucky enough to gain. An Old Church (no Cemetery) to see what might be found. Also needed to find a corner stake for the land owner. He has other properties that I havebeen eyeing and was hopeful that the favor would gain me other permissions Took the machine out of the vehicle and turned her on and set her up and started swinging. I was surprised that I was not even hearing any junk.

Tossed a quarter on the ground and the GT could only detect it in the very center of the coil and less than two inches. I checked everything and still no sensitivity to speak of. So I changed coils. Still the same problem.

With my Main machine in the shop (11 weeks and counting) and my backup not working I am only going to be able to scrape some scraps from the beach.

If it were not for bad luck I would have no luck at all.

Sensitivity was the first thing that I checked. Machine would not work in spite of everything I tried.

Last night I took it apart. Checked solder joints and the pins in the connector. I could not find anything that did not appear to be correct.

Put the machine back together and it would air test a quarter at 10-12 inches. Beats me what was going on but mighty glad that it appears to be working.

Could be one of the friction connections had oxidation. The mere act of disconnection and reconnection friction cleans the connection.

Took it for a walk yesterday to an area I wanted to check. Did not expect to find much and I did not. But I found a couple dimes that were down between 4 and 5 inches among the trash. Could not believe the amount of aluminum cans that were buried in the area. City must have just put new dirt over a trashy area.

Picked up $2.35 in clad and 19 copper lincolns so the machine worked. I am mighty thankful as my original GT has been in the shop for nearly three months. When my backup did not work I was quite disturbed.

Took it for a walk yesterday to an area I wanted to check. Did not expect to find much and I did not. But I found a couple dimes that were down between 4 and 5 inches among the trash. Could not believe the amount of aluminum cans that were buried in the area. City must have just put new dirt over a trashy area.

Picked up $2.35 in clad and 19 copper lincolns so the machine worked. I am mighty thankful as my original GT has been in the shop for nearly three months. When my backup did not work I was quite disturbed.

Glad you are back in it buddy! There aint about nothing worse for a man to deal with than a dog that dont hunt, a car that won't start, a rig that dont work, or a wife that wont @#$%! :laughing:

(Cook) is what I typed? Damn spell check!:laughing::laughing:
Mud

Could be one of the friction connections had oxidation. The mere act of disconnection and reconnection friction cleans the connection.

Yep. Seen this on PC parts. Oxidation, or corrosion can cause a "connected" pin plug to actually not transfer signal. Simply pulling it off and back on scrapes the pins enough that connection is restored. Looks like there was "nothing explainable" wrong with it, because the pin was connected.

When I have problems I can't isolate, pulling and replacing plugs is a standard troubleshooting technique.

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom