Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Finds

Old 08-23-2016, 02:05 AM

Default My first silver EVER and it's a BIG ONE!

Alright, so last night I was at a 1950's school digging up pennies, ranging from early 70's to late 90's. Nothing special, except finding about 20 or so in one hole. Maybe the kids were throwing them at each other, I dunno. But anyway, some random person came up to me and started asking questions, and started getting interested in what I was doing. He suggested a beach about 30 minutes drive, and gave some of the history of that place.

Well, tonight after work and dinner, I set out to see what was up. I searched around for about 45 minutes while indulging some onlookers. I found a modern dollar, a few interesting pieces of nothing, and a lot of junk. As it was starting to get dark, and everyone was heading home, I swung down around the high side of a gravel cut. And then I got a really nice signal. Can't remember what it read, but it was a nice clear high tone each direction. I dug it, and my first thought was that it was a large cent. It was big and brown, but then I saw George VI on it, and well that can't be a large cent! I turned it over, and there was the crest and at the top as clear as day "50 cents!" My first ever silver!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WptJDtLiuNA

There was a lot of iron nearby, so that might explain the color, but I don't care, it is my first silver and it is big! I was grinning ear to ear, and made a quick video on the spot. It was getting dark fast, and I had a long ride back on the motorcycle, so I headed back and found a '68 penny on the way, which is a good sign. All in all a worthwhile trip that got me on the silver scoreboard. I'll be heading there again soon, hopefully at low tide, and I'll post anything good that I find.

HH!
Attached Images

2016 Totals: Silvers - 1, Half Dollars - 1, Quarters - 0, Dimes - 0, Jewelry - 0

Old 08-23-2016, 02:21 AM
Elite Member

Areas that are exposed enough to kick out the oldies on beaches can get sanded in overnight.. Better get back there really quick and clean it out!!!

Dig anything that doesn't sound like iron. Might be a lot of old gold there too!!

Big congrats on your first!!

<°)))>{

Old 08-23-2016, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post
Areas that are exposed enough to kick out the oldies on beaches can get sanded in overnight.. Better get back there really quick and clean it out!!!

Dig anything that doesn't sound like iron. Might be a lot of old gold there too!!

Big congrats on your first!!

<°)))>{
Thanks! Yeah, I plan to go back as soon as possible, probably spend a good portion of my day Saturday there. I don't have enough time on the evenings to spend down there, tonight was a recon hunt. I probably won't sleep much until I do though!

HH!

2016 Totals: Silvers - 1, Half Dollars - 1, Quarters - 0, Dimes - 0, Jewelry - 0

Old 08-23-2016, 02:27 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by SherpaJones View post
I probably won't sleep much until I do though!

HH!
Sounds like you are taking the situation as you should...

Good luck on your next one, looking forward to seeing the next round!!

<°)))>{

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post
Sounds like you are taking the situation as you should...

Good luck on your next one, looking forward to seeing the next round!!

<°)))>{
Now that I've found silver I can start to justify the price tag on that AT Pro! That'll help me sleep a little better me thinks.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:58 AM
Supporter

HUGE congrats!

Old 08-23-2016, 03:48 AM
Sponsor

WTG, Awesome finds. Congratulations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 TOTALS 39 SILVERS, 22 INDIANS, 1 "V",12 rings
OLDEST COIN: 1860 AUSTRIA 1 KREUZER
CTX 3030, XP DEUS, AT Propointer

Old 08-24-2016, 08:25 PM
Elite Member

Way to go! Beach silver comes out looking like that. As stated above, hit that spot as it will most likely "sand in" very soon.

If you wanted to get that silver oxide off, I have a quick video on YouTube on how to get it off (it's simple and cheap). Just search under GStout76.

Take care,

Greg

Old 08-24-2016, 10:40 PM
Grammar Police

Good thing a Canadian found that coin, I thought it was a Penny for sure!

Old 08-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Elite Member

Smile

What a great first silver ! Amaizing find and way to keep an open mind when folks bring up old stomping grounds . Congradulations .
HH , Dew

Old 08-25-2016, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by GStout76 View post
Way to go! Beach silver comes out looking like that. As stated above, hit that spot as it will most likely "sand in" very soon.

If you wanted to get that silver oxide off, I have a quick video on YouTube on how to get it off (it's simple and cheap). Just search under GStout76.

Take care,

Greg
Hmm, I'm debating whether or not to clean it. I kinda like the brown patina, it makes it look unique.

I went back to the beach last night and there was a lot of sand. I don't think it was sanded in recently, it didn't look too different from the first time I went. I will probably wait until after some of the fall storms we get and see if it uncovers anything. The shore is fairly steep, so I don't know if anything good will get washed out to sea.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:03 PM

Awesome find!

Old 08-25-2016, 10:28 PM

Nice hit!!!!!

Old 09-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Elite Member

Very nice!! Congrats on what is hopefully the first of many!!

Old 12-19-2016, 12:29 AM

So today I decided to start cleaning this by electrolysis. I sort of McGyvered it with 4 AA batteries in parallel and tin foil as leads to the anode and cathode. As the toning diminished, what appears to be a small die crack started to appear above the lettering over George VI. I found a picture of a very similar, but more pronounced die crack on a '43 half, and in the same location. I'm fairly certain it is a die crack and not a scratch, as the metal is bright along the line making it more defined. If it was a scratch, it would probably still have toning, like all the other low relief areas. Also it would likely not be so fine. I don't think it will add much or anything to the value, as it is well circulated and cleaned by a hack electrolysis job, but it is still interesting.

First picture is of my coin, second is of a similar one I found by google search. Unfortunately I don't have a better camera, so this is the best I can show.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2016, 12:00 PM

nice Find!

Old 12-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Supporter

Great find, congrats!

Old 01-12-2017, 12:37 AM
Elite Member

That thing is awesome great find congrats!

☆4-V's☆

Old 01-12-2017, 01:07 PM
Elite Member

So today I decided to start cleaning this by electrolysis. I sort of McGyvered it with 4 AA batteries in parallel and tin foil as leads to the anode and cathode. As the toning diminished, what appears to be a small die crack started to appear above the lettering over George VI. I found a picture of a very similar, but more pronounced die crack on a '43 half, and in the same location. I'm fairly certain it is a die crack and not a scratch, as the metal is bright along the line making it more defined. If it was a scratch, it would probably still have toning, like all the other low relief areas. Also it would likely not be so fine. I don't think it will add much or anything to the value, as it is well circulated and cleaned by a hack electrolysis job, but it is still interesting.

First picture is of my coin, second is of a similar one I found by google search. Unfortunately I don't have a better camera, so this is the best I can show.
Nice Die Crack! Looks like it extends off to the right.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Elite Member

Alright, so last night I was at a 1950's school digging up pennies, ranging from early 70's to late 90's. Nothing special, except finding about 20 or so in one hole. Maybe the kids were throwing them at each other, I dunno. But anyway, some random person came up to me and started asking questions, and started getting interested in what I was doing. He suggested a beach about 30 minutes drive, and gave some of the history of that place.

Well, tonight after work and dinner, I set out to see what was up. I searched around for about 45 minutes while indulging some onlookers. I found a modern dollar, a few interesting pieces of nothing, and a lot of junk. As it was starting to get dark, and everyone was heading home, I swung down around the high side of a gravel cut. And then I got a really nice signal. Can't remember what it read, but it was a nice clear high tone each direction. I dug it, and my first thought was that it was a large cent. It was big and brown, but then I saw George VI on it, and well that can't be a large cent! I turned it over, and there was the crest and at the top as clear as day "50 cents!" My first ever silver!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WptJDtLiuNA

There was a lot of iron nearby, so that might explain the color, but I don't care, it is my first silver and it is big! I was grinning ear to ear, and made a quick video on the spot. It was getting dark fast, and I had a long ride back on the motorcycle, so I headed back and found a '68 penny on the way, which is a good sign. All in all a worthwhile trip that got me on the silver scoreboard. I'll be heading there again soon, hopefully at low tide, and I'll post anything good that I find.

HH!
Nice find. That's in really nice condition.
If you know how to clean the brown patina safely,let me know. I got a 1939-S Jefferson that's real nice but dark brown.