2nd silver - first merc

DougF

Elite Member
This morning was a good day for a hunt, 37 deg. F with a few snow flurries, after 53 deg. yesterday. I went out for two hours at a park with a large lake. Not many people out, a few dog walkers. First I tried a fishermen's trail, then a grassy area along the shore, found a lot of old style pull tabs, 10 Memmies and a clad quarter (2000 Maryland state quarter). Also found a tackle box spill of three lead sinkers in one hole. Just about when I was getting hungry and ready to go, I walked through a grove of white pines on my way to the car and got a strong dime signal at 4". I remember thinking I'd dig this one and then leave. The target was about two feet from a large (2' diam.) pine tree, with large roots at the surface. I wasn't careful enough and scratched it a little :mad: I'll blame it on the roots. After finding the dime, I remembered that years ago there were picnic tables in the grove, but they have been gone for a while. I'll be back there for sure.

Attachments

• 27 merc.jpg
    27 merc.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 139
Beautiful. I really love those Mercury dimes. My metal detecting goal is to find one. Just one. And then I will be very very happy. You're looks to be in great shape, aside from the small scratch.

Joe

Nice job on the Merc. I recently found a 25 Merc also 2-3 feet from the base of a tree. The area was covered in trash. Even with the small scratch its still a great find! Gregg

Those Mercs sure are pretty! Nice going!

Thanks, everyone. When I stuck the digger in, I immediately hit a large root (2" diam), and another was next to it with about a 2" gap between. I had to dig around them to get to the dime. I noticed that the signal was really strong on the silver, stronger than a clad dime, or maybe I imagined that?

That's a sweet one Doug. Hunting among the roots and at the base of trees can produce some finds that others missed. Of course as you say the retrieving of the coin can be frustrating.

Ain't life fun? Non-detectorists don't know what they are missing, but that's better for us!! Nice find.......Rv

Back
Top Bottom